Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tax free shopping for Bose headphones in AMS, BRU, OSL, TXL, ATH, IST?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:08 pm
KRS
Original Poster

Looking to buy the Bose Quietcomfort 35 headphones, and would prefer to get them tax free while travelling this summer as they retail at NOK4000 in Norway (currently corresponds to USD470, EUR430).

Can anyone please share any info on availability and price at the following airports?
AMS (arrival)
BRU (departure)
OSL (arrival/departure)
ATH (transit)
IST (arrival/departure)
TXL (arrival/departure)

Many thanks!

Last edited by KRS; Jul 21, 2016 at 12:23 am Reason: 35 not 30...
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:01 pm

Just guessing, but I would imagine your best chances would be at IST; although Ataturk airport has a large duty free store, the bigger problem would be whether they carry the exact item you are looking for.

Although Norway is not in the Euro zone, I can well imagine that the other places (e.g. Germany, Holland etc) would not be keen to offer tax refunds to Norwegian residents. For your sake, I hope I am wrong!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:24 am

Also, keep in mind that prices at European airport "duty free" stores are often much higher than stores in the respective town (except for alcohol, tobacco and some other items). This is due to the extremely high rent prices these stores pay.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:57 pm
KRS
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bfernand
Just guessing, but I would imagine your best chances would be at IST; although Ataturk airport has a large duty free store, the bigger problem would be whether they carry the exact item you are looking for.

Although Norway is not in the Euro zone, I can well imagine that the other places (e.g. Germany, Holland etc) would not be keen to offer tax refunds to Norwegian residents. For your sake, I hope I am wrong!
Norway not being in the EU means that we can (in general) claim back tax when shopping in the EU and bringing the goods home; so buying in a regular store and claiming the tax back is also an option.

Originally Posted by KLouis
Also, keep in mind that prices at European airport "duty free" stores are often much higher than stores in the respective town (except for alcohol, tobacco and some other items). This is due to the extremely high rent prices these stores pay.
True, at Heathrow for instance I see the savings is only GBP10 compared to the suggested retail price.
On the other hand this is quite a good deal compared to the rest of Europe due to the current exchange rate... Unfortunately I am not going to the UK or US in the near future.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you're near a state with no sales tax like NH and DE, you're good to go. You could also order online from a company who doesn't have a brick and mortar presence to avoid sales tax. There are some exceptions like anything ordered via Amazon and sent to NY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.