Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Istanbul: Great Deal or Stupid?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Istanbul: Great Deal or Stupid?

Found a Hilton hotel for only $40 dollars per night http://www.hotels25.com/Hotel/Search...ition=rates,80 - It's very cheap, but is it a great deal or is it really stupid to go at the moment? I mean, normally it would probably cost 6-7 times the price and I wouldn't stay there so what to do?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
I personally don't think its stupid to go at the moment. things have stabilized so well that the FAA has today reversed its stance on flying to and from Turkey. I love the place, and hope and pray this is the beginning of a new dawn for the country after the airport tragedy and failed coup. I am flying through twice in the next few months and considering adding another trip there for a weekend.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:37 am

I wouldn't go even you paid me.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Istanbul is a great city. Lots to do and see with great food and a great blend of cultures. Personally I'd wait a few weeks to let the government and people organize & calm down but I'd gladly go soon.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I 'd wait a bit, there are bound to be some good deals in better hotels. If you are looking at the Hilton Bosphorus its a good deal for the price you quote - but we were there last year and weren't impressed. Its about 20 years out of date, has very poor service (except at reception) and rooms with the Bosphorus view are noisy due to a busy road below. There are much nicer hotels in Istanbul.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: Currently: UA 1K | Previously: AS MVPG75K, SPG Gold, Kimpton IC, HH Gold
I'd go, if I weren't tired of flying. I'm obviously a tourist and have no dog in this fight, even if I am secular. Just don't go to protest something you don't like.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
This doesn't have to be an "or". Could be an "and".

If it were me, I'd wait a little longer and see how things shake out in Turkey over the next couple weeks. That's not advice, just a personal opinion.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by westmideast
I personally don't think its stupid to go at the moment. things have stabilized so well that the FAA has today reversed its stance on flying to and from Turkey. I love the place, and hope and pray this is the beginning of a new dawn for the country after the airport tragedy and failed coup. I am flying through twice in the next few months and considering adding another trip there for a weekend.
"New Dawn" = Destruction of Secular, Democratic Turkey?!

Erdogan is just another authoritarian leader slowly (now much faster using the coup as pre-text) destroying the Turkey's democratic system and consolidating power in the executive.

One Man, one vote, one time comes to mind...
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Generally not a good idea to visit a country that's in a middle of mass arrest, purging process.

Sure you can stay away from protests, but it just takes one mistaken identity for you to disappear forever.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by travelgeeker
Found a Hilton hotel for only $40 dollars per night - It's very cheap, but is it a great deal or is it really stupid to go at the moment? I mean, normally it would probably cost 6-7 times the price and I wouldn't stay there so what to do?
It's nice modern hotel in Sisli, which isn't tourist central. Financial district, smart area, upmarket malls: perhaps not what you were expecting from Istanbul. But the metro is close by so you can get around easily.

As for the advisability of visiting the city right now - well, why not? Ignore the sillier comments. There's going to be a level of agitation for some time; but in terms of internal politics, the coup attempt failed almost immediately, and that is allowing the ruling party to cement itself more firmly in control.

There are going to be rallies and demos, but just stay away from them.

The big unknown is from external sources. And as recent atrocities demonstrate, that's not a uniquely Turkish problem.

There again, I think going some place simply because a hotel is cheap really is a stupid idea ! But if you do want to visit Istanbul, this could be a great opportunity to do so.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:07 pm

Nice. Turkey's turning into a totalitarian religious state and your concern is a $40/night room.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Totalitarian religious state? Turkey isn't there at this point. At most of those $40-100/night hotels, alcohol flows.

Originally Posted by samwise6222
Generally not a good idea to visit a country that's in a middle of mass arrest, purging process.

Sure you can stay away from protests, but it just takes one mistaken identity for you to disappear forever.
I highly doubt that I'll be disappeared in Turkey by way of local governmental forces due to this current massive arrest wave. I'd be more concerned about that happening in some other NATO countries and elsewhere in the world.

I'm not going to Turkey anytime soon (at least as far as I know at the moment), but it's not because of fears of me "being disappeared" as an "enemy of Turkish democracy".

Turkey may be a very good deal for gaming some hotel promotions, but July in Turkey isn't my cup of tea or Turkish coffee.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
This has to be the safest time to go. Another coup would take some time to plan.

Actually my sister in law and her family are there right now. On the day of the coup they said they did not even notice until we called them. Though she did notice one low flying aircraft. they have continued with their vacation as normal.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jahason
This has to be the safest time to go. Another coup would take some time to plan.
I think many people misunderstand. The risk isn't another coup, the current risk is the government. This isn't a political statement, I'm just noting the fact that the government is in the midst of carrying out mass arrests, purging its enemies. I think it's prudent to wait a couple weeks until the country is settled again before making a decision based on a cheap hotel room.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JBord
I think many people misunderstand. The risk isn't another coup, the current risk is the government. This isn't a political statement, I'm just noting the fact that the government is in the midst of carrying out mass arrests, purging its enemies. I think it's prudent to wait a couple weeks until the country is settled again before making a decision based on a cheap hotel room.
The government has already got its lists and leads. I doubt that I'd be rounded up by Turkish security forces due to the circumstances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.