Is Schonbrunn in the Vienna 100 Zone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Schonbrunn in the Vienna 100 Zone?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks Roberta. Can I verify with you that I can buy a weekly pass at a ticket machine on a Thursday afternoon when I arrive at VIE?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
Thanks Roberta. Can I verify with you that I can buy a weekly pass at a ticket machine on a Thursday afternoon when I arrive at VIE?
Not Roberta but AFAIK you can also buy the pass at VIE airport from the Tourist Info office
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:23 am

Programs: DL PM
sorry, i'm not that familiar with the weekly passes -- the tourist info office is a good suggestion, or online...
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Sounds easy! I have 2 smartphones so I could download it to both in case one battery is dead. So the Ubahn has a contactless button at the departure and arriving turnstiles akin to the Oyster card button in London?
Vienna uses the honor system for public transport. You don't even have to show the bus driver your ticket when entering one. However, they do have "fare police" which randomly board to check for free riders; and ticket them with a fine.

I know to avoid the CAT and will take the S7 into Vienna. If I buy the weekly pass online and download to my phones, how do I get the S7 ticket as I can pay for most of it with the weekly pass?
I always buy my ticket to Vienna from the machines on the train platform. (Which also sell the Weekly Ticket for Vienna Zone 100, BTW). However, you do have to purchase a ticket to get you form the airport station to the first station in Zone 100. And I want to say that station is called Kaiser(something). IIRC, it's two stops before the one for the Central Cemetary. I think it's just under 2 Euros in price for that ticket.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
However, you do have to purchase a ticket to get you form the airport station to the first station in Zone 100. And I want to say that station is called Kaiser(something). IIRC, it's two stops before the one for the Central Cemetary. I think it's just under 2 Euros in price for that ticket.
It's just gone down, surprisingly, from EUR 2.20 to EUR 1.70. There is a destination option on the ticket machine: "Zone 100 boundary" or "Vienna city boundary" or similar, which selects the correct station (Schwechat).
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by SchrottFly
Not Roberta but AFAIK you can also buy the pass at VIE airport from the Tourist Info office
So I have to go to a tourist office to buy the weekly pass at VIE? I'm a bit confused.

Here's what I want to do: When I arrive at VIE around 12:30pm on a Thursday, I want to buy the weekly pass and then get the reduced price ticket on the S7 because I have the weekly pass. Is this possible? If so, how do I get the reduced priced S7 ticket with weekly pass?

Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I have to go to a tourist office to buy the weekly pass at VIE? I'm a bit confused.

Here's what I want to do: When I arrive at VIE around 12:30pm on a Thursday, I want to buy the weekly pass and then get the reduced price ticket on the S7 because I have the weekly pass. Is this possible? If so, how do I get the reduced priced S7 ticket with weekly pass?

Thanks.
On the train platform, the automated ticket machines there sell both. I actually don't know anything about the tourist office at VIE. However, the question which you need answered is whether or not they will still be selling the weekly pass on Thursday (and I cannot confirm that they still do). Perhaps you can e-mail them the question on the wienerlinien.at website. I think I saw a "Kundenfrage" or "Kundeninfo" link on the homepage.

BTW, you're not purchasing a reduced price ticket for the S7 train. It's just the normal price ticket to get you from the airport station to the boundary station for Zone 100. At which point the weekly pass becomes valid for use on your journey.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 4:00 am

[deleted see next post]

Last edited by ctrlf; Jul 14, 2016 at 5:55 am
Old Jul 14, 2016, 4:53 am

You can select to choose the start of your week.

Works in the online shop https://shop.wienerlinien.at/index.p...ow/0/0/0/0/buy and at ticket vending machines - where i happened to pass by recently.
The machines at the airport are most probably from VOR (Verkehrsverbund Ost Region) and not wiener linien - the system should be similiar.

Buying the single-ticket from Airport vienna to city skirts

a) Select „VOR single ticket with choice of destination“

b) FROM: Flughafen Wien / To City limits € 1,70

Buying the weekly ticket you

a) click onto „weekly ticket“ on the first screen.
b) modify the week via MODIFY

c) clicking „current week“ assuming it is thursday of the week you want to buy the pass starts the week backdated

Hope that clears everything for you.

Last edited by ctrlf; Jul 14, 2016 at 5:58 am
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:36 am

Very helpful, ctrlf. Thank you! I especially appreciate your highlighting a screen that makes sure I pick the right week.

However, the question which you need answered is whether or not they will still be selling the weekly pass on Thursday (and I cannot confirm that they still do). Perhaps you can e-mail them the question on the wienerlinien.at website. I think I saw a "Kundenfrage" or "Kundeninfo" link on the homepage.
Ok. I'll email them.

BTW, you're not purchasing a reduced price ticket for the S7 train. It's just the normal price ticket to get you from the airport station to the boundary station for Zone 100. At which point the weekly pass becomes valid for use on your journey.
From my understanding and correct me if I'm wrong, by having the weekly pass, I would pay less for the S7 ticket than if I bought the S7 ticket alone. If that's the case, do the ticket machines sell S7 tickets from the airport to the boundary in which the weekly takes effect?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:51 pm

Perhaps you can e-mail them the question on the wienerlinien.at website.
I did. Got nowhere.

From me:

I will be arriving at VIE (Vienna Airport) on a Thursday afternoon at 14:00 and want to buy the weekly pass for that same week. Do your ticket machines STILL sell weekly tickets for that same week on a Thursday afternoon?
Their response:

Dear Sirs

Since the airport is not in Vienna (core zone 100), you need to 2,20.-euro also solve a season ticket for the ride to / from the Airport to / from Vienna an additional card (one way).

A single ride (no extra time card) to / from Vienna would therefore 4,40.- costs.
Didn't even answer my question about buying a weekly ticket from their machines at VIE on a Thursday. The respondent assumes I'm a group of men.......bizarre.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From my understanding and correct me if I'm wrong, by having the weekly pass, I would pay less for the S7 ticket than if I bought the S7 ticket alone.
The airport is outside Zone 100. The weekly pass is only valid within Zone 100. There are several "normal" tickets on the S7 train and which one you need depends upon your desired destination. The ticket you need to get to the boundary station with Zone 100 costs less than if you need the ticket to get you to central Vienna. Once you get to that boundary station on the S7 train, your weekly ticket kicks in. So, since you are trying to get to central Vienna and you will have the weekly pass, you do not need to purchase the higher priced ticket (for central Vienna) on the S7 train. Just the single journey ticket to the boundary station.
If that's the case, do the ticket machines sell S7 tickets from the airport to the boundary in which the weekly takes effect?
The ticket machines on the train platform at the airport sell both the single journey ticket to the boundary station, as well as the weekly pass for Zone 100 (even though the airport station is not within Zone 100).
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:41 am

So, since you are trying to get to central Vienna and you will have the weekly pass, you do not need to purchase the higher priced ticket (for central Vienna) on the S7 train. Just the single journey ticket to the boundary station. The ticket machines on the train platform at the airport sell both the single journey ticket to the boundary station, as well as the weekly pass for Zone 100 (even though the airport station is not within Zone 100).
Fanjet, I will be taking the S7 to Wien Mitte and then walking to my hotel. Google maps says it's an 11 minute walk so that sounds easy. At the S7 ticket machine, what is the name of the boundary station so I select it and purchase a ticket to that boundary station since I will have purchased the weekly pass that will cover the rest of the trip to Wien Mitte?

------

After going back and forth in my emails, a representative wrote back this morning confirming that I can buy a weekly pass on a Thursday afternoon at a ticket machine at VIE. I wanted to let you know. May I assume that the ticket machine to buy the weekly pass is different from the S7 ticket machine? If so, I hope they're nearby!
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:03 pm

At the S7 ticket machine, what is the name of the boundary station so I select it and purchase a ticket to that boundary station since I will have purchased the weekly pass that will cover the rest of the trip to Wien Mitte?
Originally Posted by railways
There is a destination option on the ticket machine: "Zone 100 boundary" or "Vienna city boundary" or similar, which selects the correct station (Schwechat).
May I assume that the ticket machine to buy the weekly pass is different from the S7 ticket machine? If so, I hope they're nearby!
No: you get them - and all Vienna and OeBB tickets - from the same machine (there are several). The only tickets bought from a different machine are for the CAT.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by railways
No: you get them - and all Vienna and OeBB tickets - from the same machine (there are several). The only tickets bought from a different machine are for the CAT.
Thank you!

There is a destination option on the ticket machine: "Zone 100 boundary" or "Vienna city boundary" or similar, which selects the correct station (Schwechat).
Thank you for that too! Is it a separate transaction to buy the ticket to "Vienna city boundary" or do I have the option of buying both the weekly pass and the ticket within the same transaction?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.