Search

Consular Warning About Turkey, including Izmir

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2016, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Consular Warning About Turkey, including Izmir

Just received in my inbox, and includes popular cruise port of Izmir:

"The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of increased threats from terrorist groups throughout Turkey and to avoid travel to southeastern Turkey.This replaces the Travel Warning dated March 29, 2016.
Foreign and U.S. tourists have been explicitly targeted by international and indigenous terrorist organizations. As stated in the Worldwide Caution dated March 3, 2016, throughout Europe extremists have targeted large sporting events, theatres, open markets, aviation services, transportation systems, and public venues where people congregate as well as religious sites and high-profile events. U.S. citizens are reminded to review personal security plans and remain vigilant at all times. U.S. Government personnel in Turkey remain subject to travel restrictions in the southeastern provinces of Hatay, Kilis, Gaziantep, Sanliurfa, Sirnak, Diyarbakir, Van, Siirt, Mus, Mardin, Batman, Bingol, Tunceli, Hakkari, Bitlis, and Elazig. U.S. citizens should avoid areas in close proximity to the Syrian border.

The Department of State extended its March 29, 2016 ordered departure of family members of U.S. Government personnel posted to the U.S. Consulate in Adana and family members of U.S. Government civilians in Izmir province through July 26, 2016. The Department of State terminated its March 29, 2016 ordered departure declaration for Mugla province. The U.S. Consulate in Adana remains open and will continue to provide all routine consular services.

For your safety:
• Avoid travel to southeastern Turkey, particularly near the Syrian border.
• Stay away from large crowds, including at popular tourist destinations.
• Exercise heightened vigilance and caution when visiting public access areas, especially those heavily frequented by tourists.
• Stay away from political gatherings and rallies.
• Follow the instructions of local authorities in an emergency.
• Stay at hotels with identifiable security measures in place.
• Monitor local media."
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
While Turkey has been the frequent target of attacks recently (including sadly, today at IST) - I don't see why Izmir has any higher risk than other places in Turkey. In fact, as opposed to Ankara or Istanbul, it hasn't seen any attacks at all.

I recently visited for business, and the city felt as safe and alive as it always was before. Yes, some local people do fear a possible terror attack as well, but are there any places left in the world where attacks don't happen? I mean, Brussels, San Bernardino, Orlando, Istanbul, Paris. Look further into the past and you can add Madrid and London as well.

I can understand people thinking better be safe than sorry - many of my close friends think likewise and I cannot blame them at all. But all I can add is that the city is probably safer than many others in Turkey due to the fact it is not as high as a potential target as Ankara or Istanbul, and as probably the most liberal city in Turkey, lacks the amount of religious extremists found elsewhere. Same as the location on the Aegean sea, makes it more distant from hubs of Kurdish terrorism (Istanbul, Ankara & cities in the Kurdish heartland like Gaziantep).
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:42 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
While Turkey has been the frequent target of attacks recently (including sadly, today at IST) - I don't see why Izmir has any higher risk than other places in Turkey. In fact, as opposed to Ankara or Istanbul, it hasn't seen any attacks at all.

I recently visited for business, and the city felt as safe and alive as it always was before. Yes, some local people do fear a possible terror attack as well, but are there any places left in the world where attacks don't happen? I mean, Brussels, San Bernardino, Orlando, Istanbul, Paris. Look further into the past and you can add Madrid and London as well.

I can understand people thinking better be safe than sorry - many of my close friends think likewise and I cannot blame them at all. But all I can add is that the city is probably safer than many others in Turkey due to the fact it is not as high as a potential target as Ankara or Istanbul, and as probably the most liberal city in Turkey, lacks the amount of religious extremists found elsewhere. Same as the location on the Aegean sea, makes it more distant from hubs of Kurdish terrorism (Istanbul, Ankara & cities in the Kurdish heartland like Gaziantep).

I doubt the Kurdish terror groups would attack targets where they might kill foreigners, as they seek to carve out their own country, and killing citizens of countries you hope one day to have diplomatic relations with is not a good idea.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by 747FC
Foreign and U.S. tourists have been explicitly targeted by international and indigenous terrorist organizations.
OT - I love this wording. In Turkey US tourists are also foreign.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
OT - I love this wording. In Turkey US tourists are also foreign.
The US consular warning has US persons as its primary audience; and so the reference to foreign tourists is made to refer those tourists who are not US persons.

There are ways for tourists to visit Turkey and minimize the odds of being caught up in an attack or disruptions from such, but to no do some tourist things because of concern about attacks may take away some people's enjoyment of being a tourist in Turkey.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
...There are ways for tourists to visit Turkey and minimize the odds of being caught up in an attack or disruptions from such...
For instance?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 12:28 am

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm debating whether to visit Ephesus. On one hand, it seems like an amazing city, but on the other, I don't want to risk getting an SSSS. Plus the consular warning still applies.

Any thoughts?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:30 am
Original Poster

SSSS should be the least of your worries.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm debating whether to visit Ephesus. On one hand, it seems like an amazing city, but on the other, I don't want to risk getting an SSSS. Plus the consular warning still applies.

Any thoughts?
Say hello to me! I'll be in Izmir Oct 31 to Nov 3. I'll probably go to Selcuk/Ephesus sometime during that time. To your question, go if you want.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:28 pm

We just got back from a cruise this month stopping at Kusadasi. On the rollcall in Cruise Critic, there were some folks concerned about the security situation but the majority of people went on tours to Ephesus with no issues. We took a dolmus from Kusadasi to Selcuk and Sirince. Felt really safe and all the locals were extremely friendly and helpful (eg. Where do we catch this dolmus??).

While I don't want to downplay potential risks as it just takes one event to turn someone's world upside down, it really did feel like business as usual and even more friendly than when we last visited in 2013.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by iluvdoco

Any thoughts?
Visiting Turkey increases the risk of getting SSSS, but it doesn't guarantee getting SSSS.

I do expect there to be more ISIS attacks and even Kurdish attacks in Turkey, as Daesh/ISIS and (anti-Daesh) Kurdish militias feel increased pressure in Iraq and Syria and externalize their frustrations with Turkey and various other countries. And violent extremist organizations going after tourists in Turkey is a way to disrupt a major economic driver and hard currency source for Turkey. That said, I'd expect driving in Turkey to be more of a risk to my life than terrorists.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I was in Istanbul for 5 days last week. Very few American visitors, but no problems at all with safety.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Given today's updated US State department travel warning, can any Turkey experts offer my family some advice? We are scheduled to visit Turkey during November (I am bringing my wife, mother, and two children... ages 2 and 5).

We've followed the previous advisories with great interest, and while we probably would not have booked this trip after the airport terrorist attack and coup, up until now the tone on the alerts has been much less alarming. The current step of evacuating consular family members seems particular grave.

I would greatly appreciate advice from those that know Turkey best. Thanks!
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
...I would greatly appreciate advice from those that know Turkey best. Thanks!
Unfortunately, nobody will ever be able to give you valid info, as terrorists usually don't tell anybody in advance. The fact is that there have been more terrorists attacks there over the last couple of years, but overall it is a safe place: you certainly risk much more simply by driving your car to work. Personally, I would not cancel my trip, but who am I to foresee the future...
Old Oct 30, 2016, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Visiting Turkey increases the risk of getting SSSS...
Do you have any data to support this assertion? Doubt it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.