Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Istanbul - does it make sense to split hotel nights in different areas?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*

I will be in Istanbul for 4 or 5 nights in October. I have been looking into hotels, and am torn between locations. So, would it make sense to stay in the old city for a couple of nights to be near the major sites, and then move across the bridge and spend any additional nights in the Taksim area?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
No, they're close enough together that it makes no sense to do that IMHO.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:44 am
Community Director Emerita

I did so and was happy that I did. I stayed in the Old Town first and thoroughly enjoyed walking to all the major sites. My simple hotel had a roof top lounge where it was great to hang out after the sightseeing. Then I moved across the river and did sightseeing there. That's when I went to the palace and did the cruise up the Bosphorus. Traffic is ferocious in Istanbul. Choosing your hotel location strategically will help avoid it to some extent.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
You can take water taxis across the Bosporus which is much quicker at peak times.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
For 4 days I wouldn't bother, 5 or more.. maybe yes.

There are obvious disadvantages (time/energy lost packing, checking in and out), but you might save quite some time on public transport (travel in Istanbul can be slow).

Personally, I like a change of scenery in bigger cities (like Istanbul where you can easily spend a full week and still having plenty of great sights and sounds left to explore!) but only if staying at least three days at each place. Different neighborhoods can have totally different vibes, and only by staying (overnight) you can fully appreciate. Plus, Istanbul has such a great choice of accommodation in all price ranges! To enjoy two instead of just one place might be worth it for many!
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I did so and was happy that I did. I stayed in the Old Town first and thoroughly enjoyed walking to all the major sites. My simple hotel had a roof top lounge where it was great to hang out after the sightseeing. Then I moved across the river and did sightseeing there. That's when I went to the palace and did the cruise up the Bosphorus. Traffic is ferocious in Istanbul. Choosing your hotel location strategically will help avoid it to some extent.

Originally Posted by Worcester
You can take water taxis across the Bosporus which is much quicker at peak times.

The OP is talking about staying on the same side of the Bosphorus, but in 2 different locations.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:16 am

I would recommend splitting. It is certainly doable to stay in one location and travel by taxi/boat/tram, but stay in two locations will give two different experiences.

2-3 nights in Sultanahmet for visiting Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque, the Grand Bazaar, the Archeological Museum, ...

~2 nights in Nisantasi for a change of scenery, visiting Dolmabahce Palace, walking down Istiklal Caddesi, and in case you are interested, fine dining and upscale shopping.

Sultanahmet is convenient for the major sights, but outside of that very touristy, and once you leave the tourist hotspots quite rundown (i.e., not an area you would particularly enjoy talking walks in after dark, although it's probably safe).

Nisantasi is an upscale area of town, not dissimilar to Paris in terms of ambience.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 1:25 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
With the readily available public transit (if you don't mind it and walking), I would suggest staying somewhere the whole time. While its a bit far out, we stayed in levent 4 (near Besikdas) at the Moevenpick (booked through priceline at about 1/3 of the retail cost), and we had a blast. There is a new mall tower next door, and the subway is right outside the hotel.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Thanks for the comments everyone! Still not sure how many days/nights I will actually be there so place/location still up in the air, but all your ideas are definitely helpful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.