Wiki Posts
Search

Auschwitz/Birkenau area hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Auschwitz/Birkenau area hotels

I know it's a grim subject but I will visit later this year and wondered if anyone has any suggestions where to stay for a night. Will have a car so can get around.

Looking for nicer rather than cheaper places.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:15 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I'd be minded to stay in Krakow, personally - the Sheraton is a decent hotel (but it's a while since I've been, there may be better). Oswiecim itself is likely to be guesthouse country.

Hope your trip goes well. It's an important place to visit, I think.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Why is it a grim subject?

There are a few decent locally run hotels in Oswiecim town. Galicja is very good.

But you are SOL if you are looking for any western chains and/or luxury hotels.

You ll find the usual western chains in Krakow (Sheraton, Radisson, etc), as well as far superior locally run 5* boutique hotels.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Agree with the above comments about the Sheraton Krakow. Stayed there in 2009 with my family and try was fantastic. Best part impressively enough was the breakfast buffet, which at that time was included in the rate.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:25 pm

Stayed at the Radisson Blu in Krakow in 2014, liked it a lot, and their breakfast is a great way to sample lots of local Polish specialties...sausages, breads, pickles, etc. Their bar is a good place to eat something familiar. A very short walk along the park into the Old Town Square. But if OP is coming by train from the south, he may want to stay in Katowice near Auschwitz because that is where you would have to change trains anyway.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have a rental car but will be coming from Prague and going to Bratislava. Is Krakow sufficiently better in hotels and/or sights to justify the extra distance? I do expect to spend two nights, drive in, full day there, leave next day.

The best room at the Galicja hotel goes for about $85 a night. Maybe it really is very good, but the rate does make me wonder.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Apr 21, 2016 at 1:09 am
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:00 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Krakow is definitely worth a visit in itself if you have the time.

If you are so inclined, Hilton has opened a Doubletree there recently (and a Hampton next door) which is getting very good reviews here on flyertalk.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...enter-pol.html

Last edited by helosc; Apr 21, 2016 at 1:06 am
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:49 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Krakow is a lovely city and definitely worth a detour. It's good to have something "nice" to do after visiting Auschwitz, I think. Not that there's anything wrong with Oswiecim, there's just not much to it.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:57 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Krakow also has the Schindler factory :
http://www.mhk.pl/branches/oskar-schindlers-factory
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:52 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Off the beaten chain hotels, and a ton cheaper I feel to suggest Pollara hotel in Krakow.
Great atmosphere and large rooms.
Been there last week and was really happy with it.
The breakfast is basic though.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: M&M FTL
Krakw is arguably the number 1 tourist destination in Poland should definitely feature on any itinerary when in the area for the first time.

However, should you be low on time and decide Krakw is too far, another place I'd recommend is Pszczyna, west of Oświęcim, it's a pretty little town with some good boutique hotels (Piano Nobile is a nice place to stay) and a few sights including the market square, Pszczyna Castle, associated park, and bison reserve. It's a bit sleepy, but a nice place for a quiet evening and a good meal. If you're with a car you'll also find it much easier to find parking.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:38 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

When I visited Auschwitz/Birkenau, I stayed in the not-for-profit Centre for Dialogue and Prayer in Oświęcim, situated within walking distance of Auschwitz I. Though not a 'luxurious' hotel, it has clean and comfortable rooms at a very reasonable price, and offered a suitable environment to reflect on the profound experience of visiting Auschwitz/Birkenau. The staff are friendly. The food is okay. From what I can remember, when I stayed there 2 years ago, there wasn't wifi, but there was a PC in the lobby which you could use to access the internet (in any case, the front desk staff were really helpful and provided us with all the information we needed).
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Hampton Inn Krakow is 5000 points per night. You can buy 5,000 points for $25 currently from HHonors.

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/earn-u...ive/index.html
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:39 am
Original Poster

You folks are making a strong case for extending our Poland stay by a day and having a day in Krakow. I was going to do two nights in Poland and two in Bratislava but maybe three and one is a better idea, staying in Krakow. Thoughts?
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Stayed one night at Hotel Galicja last year while visiting Auschwitz/Birkenau. Great price/quality ratio and pretty close to Auschwitz/Birkenau. Decent place for dinner and breakfast.
Waste of time imo to book a Hamptonn inn or Radisson Blu in Krakow or one of those other western chain hotels. They are not significantly better, certainly not their restaurants.

I agree with the others that Krakow is definitely worth a visit. Would personally do 3 nights in Poland and one in Bratislava.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.