Wiki Posts
Search

Eastern Croatia. What to see?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AR, LA, A3, UT, 6R, U6, PS, SU, and many more
Eastern Croatia. What to see?

I'm driving on friday from Tuzla (BiH) to Budapest. As is a pretty short segment, I decided to spend most of the day visiting Northeastern Croatia. Which cities are worth there? I've been in Zagreb already, and I'm most of the "off the beaten path roads". I haven't seen anything besides Osijek.
Also, places in South/West Hungary (as Papa for instance) are heavily welcomed on suggestions. Have my car, so no need to check for trains, buses, or taxis. Museums, restaurants, towns, mountains, lakes, whatever is worth let me please know!
Cheers
Eielef @SJJ
Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Sorry I can't help you with Eastern Croatia, but Pecs just across the border in southwest Hungary is a definately worth a visit. The city has a real Mediterranean look and microclimate.

South of Pecs lies the Villny region, one of Hungary's biggest wine producing areas.

Here's an old New York Times travel article on Pecs.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/10/tr...pagewanted=all
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Pecs was high in my list. Amazing article, with no photos! I'm sure there will be more things in Hungary than in Eastern Croatia.
I wanted to visit also the Željava Air Base but that's pretty off road, and i'm pretty sure is against the law going there...
Anyway, will keep on thinking what else to visit! And will have you informed...
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
As you come from the south, don't enter Zagreb, but take the E70 to Slovenia. From Zagreb it's a 20 km drive and just over the border there'll be Mokrice Castle. Very little detour, very much worth it.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Well, I was coming from the north, from the road that goes from Sarajevo to Zenica, Doboj and Osijek. Only places I visited where Osijek and Beli Manastir. Unimpressive, uninteresting. Just had lunch at a McDo and left north to amazing Pcs, in SW Hungary.
Cheers!
Eielef @KSC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.