Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best F/J redemptions from USA to Greece

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for the link. Maybe I'll try using my KF miles to book Turkish Air.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:34 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Threads merged to keep in one place, as the original topic was recently discussed and still current.

Please continue the discussion in this combined thread.

stut
Europe
Old Jun 28, 2016, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Another luxury option maybe ORD-AUH on Etihad, and then to ATH using AA miles, but it will probably price as two awards. Or American to London (if on the 77W), then BA to ATH.

For Skyteam, ORD-AMS on KLM 747 combi should be quite nice, and then AMS-ATH. Or ORD-FCO on Alitalia, and then to ATH. Both great J seats. I would avoid Delta NYC-ATH, terrible J seats.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nk15
Another luxury option maybe ORD-AUH on Etihad, and then to ATH using AA miles, but it will probably price as two awards. Or American to London (if on the 77W), then BA to ATH.

For Skyteam, ORD-AMS on KLM 747 combi should be quite nice, and then AMS-ATH. Or ORD-FCO on Alitalia, and then to ATH. Both great J seats. I would avoid Delta NYC-ATH, terrible J seats.
I would have enough miles for ORD-AUH Etihad Biz class only (still not bad). But then wouldn't have any left to get to ATH.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMM1982
I would have enough miles for ORD-AUH Etihad Biz class only (still not bad). But then wouldn't have any left to get to ATH.
My true recommendation is ORD-DFW on AA and DFW-SYD on QF in First (72.5k AA miles pre-deval award), and then SYD-AUH-ATH on Etihad First (the Apartments)+Business for 60+30k AA miles, pre-devaluation. That's the only way to do this...
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

lol ok
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

So I ended up booking J on Turkish Airlines, ORD-IST-ATH. I initially tried for Lufthansa J but I guess they only had waitlist which I did. Let's see if that clears.

As for Turkish, my only concern is seat selection. I can't do it on SQ site so maybe need to wait till my itinerary is ticketed and I can do it on TK's website. Sure hope so as I don't want to sit in the middle 3 section.

Also, is there any risk in getting my passport branded SSSS after traveling through IST?

Last edited by TMM1982; Jul 2, 2016 at 9:18 am
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I ended up booking J on Turkish Airlines, ORD-IST-ATH. I initially tried for Lufthansa J but I guess they only had waitlist which I did. Let's see if that clears.

As for Turkish, my only concern is seat selection. I can't do it on SQ site so maybe need to wait till my itinerary is ticketed and I can do it on TK's website. Sure hope so as I don't want to sit in the middle 3 section.

Also, is there any risk in getting my passport branded SSSS after traveling through IST?
My understanding is that the LH J seats generally kinda suck, probably better if you can get Swiss or Austrian. Or SAS to CPH. Turkish is probably a mixed bag (some people complain about the cabin temp--too hot, inop seats and seat config in J, but rave about the food and IST lounge). I personally also have some very mild concerns about both TK airline and IST safety, but for one time I would travel on TK J just to try it. I wouldn't worry about SSSS if you are just transiting IST.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lol ok
This is a real thing and a spectacular way to do Greece, UAE, and Australia, but very hard to book, I had to chase it a bit, as it included two F unicorns...
Old Jul 2, 2016, 10:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

My understanding is that the LH J seats generally kinda suck, probably better if you can get Swiss or Austrian. Or SAS to CPH. Turkish is probably a mixed bag (some people complain about the cabin temp--too hot, inop seats and seat config in J, but rave about the food and IST lounge). I personally also have some very mild concerns about both TK airline and IST safety, but for one time I would travel on TK J just to try it. I wouldn't worry about SSSS if you are just transiting IST.
Swiss and SAS J both look fantastic. Do you think they're better options than TK J?

Last edited by TMM1982; Jul 2, 2016 at 11:34 am
Old Jul 2, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Swiss and SAS J both look fantastic. Do you think they're better options than TK J?
All in all probably comparable, Swiss and SAS better hard product, TK better soft product. Although I would be tempted to try TK, if you can get either of the other one and with no substantial differences in layovers or fees, I would chose them. Btw, I haven't flown any of the three in J, but that's from my reading of things. Of course, assuming that they are all one connection only.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would also give a very good consideration to ORD-FCO (-ATH) on Alitalia, using your Skypesos. Good redemptions, great window/aisle single seats, nice long haul distance. The food is fantastic and they have the best amenity kits (Ferragamo).
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I would also give a very good consideration to ORD-FCO (-ATH) on Alitalia, using your Skypesos. Good redemptions, great window/aisle single seats, nice long haul distance. The food is fantastic and they have the best amenity kits (Ferragamo).
Oh nice.. maybe I'll do that on the return
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh nice.. maybe I'll do that on the return
Keep in mind that Delta charges heavy taxes/fees on redemptions originating outside the US ($200-350, I believe), so it is better to book the outbound ($5 taxes/fees) or roundtrip.

The standard saver one way redemption to Europe btw is 62.5k skypesos and $5, don't pay more than that. These J redemptions to Europe is the only good use left for skypesos, imo.

Last edited by nk15; Jul 2, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Old Jul 2, 2016, 2:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I could always check at T-14 days and see if there is a Lufthansa F seat available too right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.