Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions on places to visit for Europe trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Suggestions on places to visit for Europe trip

Family of 3 ( 2 adults , 4 year old) are planning a first ever trip to Europe for 10 days in mid April. Current plan is to land at Paris and stay there for 4 days then go to venice for a couple of days and then over to London for remaining days before flying back home. Can somebody please advise on good places to visit or any other locations that you suggest we shouldn't miss?
Old Jan 9, 2016, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Stivelio
Family of 3 ( 2 adults , 4 year old) are planning a first ever trip to Europe for 10 days in mid April. Current plan is to land at Paris and stay there for 4 days then go to venice for a couple of days and then over to London for remaining days before flying back home. Can somebody please advise on good places to visit or any other locations that you suggest we shouldn't miss?
Sure, no problem, but I'm certain you're joking! For "any other location we shouldn't miss" in Europe, you'd need a few months worth of travel. What exactly do you want to see, where and for how long? And, really, you do want to squeeze that in your pre-planned 10-days long trip!
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
Sure, no problem, but I'm certain you're joking! For "any other location we shouldn't miss" in Europe, you'd need a few months worth of travel. What exactly do you want to see, where and for how long? And, really, you do want to squeeze that in your pre-planned 10-days long trip!
Ha-ha makes sense. I most certainly wasnt planning to cover all places in just those 10 days. I will change my question a little bit. Our arrival and stay at Paris for 4 days and departure back from London on 10th day are fixed with maybe last 1-2 days in London. So I was looking for suggestions for days 5-8
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Amsterdam is a possibility. Logistically easier than Venice.
High speed train from Paris to Amsterdam about 3 1/2 hours.
And Eurostar Amsterdam to London about 4 1/2 hours or a short flight.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by helosc
Thank you. A friend of mine was suggesting that Italy is probably a good place to spend more days and so stay there for 4 days, 2 in Paris, 1 in Amsterdam and then to London. Does that seem like a good idea?
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
This is an excellent idea, if the OP is willing to save Venice for another time. With 10 days, I'd actually suggest a slight edit to this itinerary.

I would take the train from Paris to Bruges, and stay at least one night there. One in Bruges and three in Amsterdam (if my math is right), wouldn't be too difficult.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Stivelio
Thank you. A friend of mine was suggesting that Italy is probably a good place to spend more days and so stay there for 4 days, 2 in Paris, 1 in Amsterdam and then to London. Does that seem like a good idea?
Personally, I wouldn't stay 4 days in Venice. It's nice to see for a couple days, but tends to be over-crowded with tourists. Other areas of Italy I would certainly stay longer. Honestly, I would skip Venice as you'll spend a whole day just traveling between there and your other stops, but it's certainly do-able if your heart is set on it.

There is quite a bit to do and see in Amsterdam, with some excellent museums, the Anne Frank House, canal cruises, etc. Plus, you may want to trek out of town to see some windmills and dykes. One night wouldn't be enough. Of course with 10 days, you could easily use all that time in Paris and London alone.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:46 am

I wouldn't take any time away from Paris especially as this is a first time visit.
And Paris is very nice in Spring.
I would keep Italy for next trip to Europe (not because Italy isn't worth visiting but because it deserves more time than you have).
Stopping off in Brugges makes good sense if you want one more destination as it is sort of on the way to Amsterdam.

Add: It is also tulip time in Holland....

Last edited by helosc; Jan 9, 2016 at 10:12 am
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:11 am
Original Poster

I am trying to find the right location to use my Marriott cat8 night certificate for 5 nights for at least for 3-4 nights and I'm open to going to Italy(next trip). With that being said it seems like it is a better idea to either stay for 4 nights in Amsterdam or Paris and then cover either Paris/Amsterdam/Bruges for remaining 3 nights. What would be a good base and inexpensive way to probably get 1 night in Holland as someone was suggesting. I know I'm asking for too much for 10 days but just trying to make best use of trip without getting too expensive or exhausted
PS: Me and my daughter get tired walking pretty fast and so trekking will probably not work for us ( please don't judge me on this )
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:25 am

Can't you use your Marriott certificate in Paris?
Seems like a good use for it as hotels there are expensive.
If you need to stay 5 nights at the same hotel in order to use the certificate, stay 5 nights in Paris - lots to do and see (and good food).

I am getting a little confused now about your tentative plans.

My original suggestion was Paris (4 nights as you planned), on to Amsterdam for maybe 3 nights (there is a Marriott there as well), then to London for the remaining nights (as you planned).
As JBord mentioned, Bruges is an option in addition to Amsterdam.

My point was to make the trip easier logistically - by leaving out Venice and adding Amsterdam instead.

Next trip you could plan for Italy - Venice, Florence, Rome for example.

Add : Sorry used wrong word (Holland), of course meant Netherlands.

Add : Very good public transport in cities in Europe, so no problem not being able to walk long distances.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Can't you use your Marriott certificate in Paris?
Seems like a good use for it as hotels there are expensive.
If you need to stay 5 nights at the same hotel in order to use the certificate, stay 5 nights in Paris - lots to do and see (and good food).

I am getting a little confused now about your tentative plans.

My original suggestion was Paris (4 nights as you planned), on to Amsterdam for maybe 3 nights (there is a Marriott there as well), then to London for the remaining nights (as you planned).
As JBord mentioned, Bruges is an option in addition to Amsterdam.

My point was to make the trip easier logistically - by leaving out Venice and adding Amsterdam instead.

Next trip you could plan for Italy - Venice, Florence, Rome for example.

Add : Sorry used wrong word (Holland), of course meant Netherlands.

Add : Very good public transport in cities in Europe, so no problem not being able to walk long distances.
Sorry for the confusion. The only thing that is fixed on my plan is to arrive at Paris and leave from London on 10th with at least 2/3 days in London as I have bunch for friends there. So I believe the best option is to spend 4 days at Paris( I can use my Marriott certificate at only 1 hotel for 5 consecutive nights), 1 day at Bruges, 2 in Amsterdam and remaining in London. Does this sound like a good plan?
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions !
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:01 am

Yes, that sounds like a good plan to me.

Add: Look in the France Forum for threads about Paris.

Amsterdam and Bruges information can be found in this Forum.
(Use the search function, choose advanced search, then choose 'search titles only' , that'll give you some good results for each city)

Last edited by helosc; Jan 9, 2016 at 11:11 am
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Will do. Thank you
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:49 pm

Yes, that sounds like a good plan to me.
I agree, this is probably what I would do.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Looks like I may not have enough time to get both UK and schenzen visa from other consulates in time and so UK is out of the itinerary. With that being said I am now looking at getting to Paris on a Saturday and fly back home from Amsterdam or some other destination on the following Monday. So that will give me atleast 4 days in Paris, 3 in Amsterdam.
Any suggestions for other 2 days please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.