Wiki Posts
Search

bulgaria romania

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2015, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

bulgaria romania

planning trip early may
thoughts?? ..traveling within these countries sights??
Sophia-Bucharest-Transylvania
Old Dec 19, 2015, 9:19 pm

Just to make sure (one never knows), when in Transylvania always carry with you some garlics.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
What you need to know exactly? Places/destinations to visit in Transylvania? Advice what to do in Bucharest?

In order to give any recommendations, it would be helpful to know a bit more. How much time you have, what kind of interests you have (culture, nature, etc.) and how you will travel (public transport, or you have your own wheels?)
Old Dec 22, 2015, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

i wanted to see this part Europe..churches castles museums etc.. not into hiking beaches etc there i usually drive when in Europe(Italy Ireland uk Germany)...but heard it was best NOT to in these 2 countries and to use public transportation or guides/ tours(esp Bulgaria due to the different alphabet))
go for 7-9 days.. getting from Romania to Bulgaria or vice versa
with this time frame what sites would you recommend)
Old Dec 25, 2015, 7:55 am

Public transport is cheap and good, although not always fast. The thing is, a lot of smaller places would require either having your own wheels or joining a tour, or be very limited in options when visiting smaller places. Driving is actually quite straightforward (even in Bulgaria!), and road quality improving. If doing, just avoid driving at night, and take into account that 100km out here takes twice as long as in Western Europe to cover.

What to see? Sofia. Make a half-day trip to Rila Monastery. From Sofia I would head to Plovdiv, it being Bulgaria's finest cultural city. Great boutique hotels and food options there if you are into that. From Plovdiv go north to lovely Veliko Tarnovo. If having own wheels, the little detour via Buzludzha mountain is worthwile (take the short detour from the top of the pass for the abandoned UFO that once was the HQ of the Bulgarian communist party. Its magnificent if you sneak inside).

From Veliko Tarnovo it is easy to go to Bucharest via Ruse. Great museums in the city, as well as food/drink options. From Bucharest, I would suggest going to Sinaia/Braşo by train. Sinaia has magnificent Peleş castle (can be done as day trip from Braşov). Close to Braşov is Bran castle too ("Dracula's" castle), also doable as day trip from Braşov. Although I think it is an overrayed sight, and nearby Rasnov fortress is much nicer.

Given time restraints, from Brasov there are two obvious routes. One goes by train to the fortress town of Sighişoara, a lovely stop. From there you can go ownward to Transylvania's capital of Cluj by train. Otherwise, head west from Braşov by bus or train to Sibiu (in my opinion the most beautiful in Romania), and head from there by bus to Cluj (train connections here are bad).

If having own wheels (or perhaps finding a tour), there are a lot of great sights in the Brasov/Sibiu area. The old Saxon towns with fortified churches like Biertan, the hidden old Dacian capital ruins of Sarmizegetusa (30-40 km on unpaved roads from the main road in the middle of a forest/hills, but I did it once easily in a normal Dacia Loan car). The most lively castle is Corvin castle at Hunedoara (but perhaps too far of the most logical route to justify going there with public transport). For great mountain views, drive upon the Transfagarasan Highway (south of Cartisoara) to Bailea Lac. (Seasonal only, depends on if early may it is already open)

When in Cluj, it is worthwhile to make a day trip to Turda (hourly minibuses from Viteazul square) to visit the salt mine. (Great easy hike there too through Cheile Turzii, the Turda gorge).

If needing any urban tips for sights, museums, food/drinks in Romanian cities like Cluj, Sibiu, Brasov or Bucharest, let me know!
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I am going to Sibiu in May and wouldn't mind a few restaurant recommendations (since you are offering....).
Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by helosc
I am going to Sibiu in May and wouldn't mind a few restaurant recommendations (since you are offering....).
I copy paste a selection of bars & restaurants from smth I have written before elsewhere:

Bars/Cafes:
1. Mojo by Our Coffeshop - or simply Mojo - it has a relaxed atmosphere, very cosy decorations (lots of books and nice messages on the wall), great selection of coffees and hot chocs, and the cigarettes' smoke is kept under control. Address: Alexandru Xenopol 1 (note: place is called Espressee nowadays, locals might still know it under old name)

2. Weinkeller - the place to go to if you like wine! Great old cellar with high ceilings, good service, beautiful summer terrace. Address: Turnului 2

3. On a tie are Atrium Classic Cafe (address: Piata Mica 16) and Cafe Wien (address: Piata Huet 4). They are on a tie because they are the same style, elegant and classy. Both of them have piano nights at times!

Note: All of the above serve good food as well.

Restaurants:
1. Crama Sibul Vechi - authentic Romanian cuisine, traditional ambiance. It's not the best Romanian-specific restaurant in town, as one better place is too far out for most. But this is the most central, tourist friendly, and food still good enough for sure! Address: Alexandru Papiu Ilarian 3

2. Pardon Cafe & Bistro - maybe the most beautiful decorated place in Sibiu! Great atmosphere, good food, lots of rooms in this old house (each with its own charm and style). Located on - as they say and I agree - the most beautiful street in Sibiu! Perfectly cozy indoor for winter, and relaxed, quiet terrace for summer. Also good for drinks only. Address: Cetatii 14

3. On a tie are La Cuptor (address: 9 mai nr. 7) and Jules (Mitropoliei 6). They are on a tie because they are both new in town and already successful, and because they serve more sophisticated and international food (also pricier than the Romanian average). The plus of La Cuptor is the location (in the old town), while the plus of Jules is that it's a no smoking restaurant. Both of them are decorated with good taste!

4. Music Pub - best pizza in town, for a more casual bite! Also a very popular bar for the youth in Sibiu. Address: Piata Mica 23

Last edited by Romanianflyer; Dec 28, 2015 at 7:26 am
Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Thank you very much.
Must to my great shame admit that I hadn't started searching for information yet. I just stumbled upon this thread and asked my question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.