Best way from Budapest to Vienna

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way from Budapest to Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2016, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by behuman
The search of your car you might well get also having the sticker. Unfortunately the Schengen space is not anymore what it was and the Austrians are (rightly) strict.
You are correct.

As a travel advisor/planner, I have been recommending to defer plans to go to Hungary, Austria, Poland, Denmark and Sweden. All are beutiful countries to visit. But given current prejudicial environment, brown skinned people are better off postponing visit to these countries until attitudes improve. One can ignore subtle discrimination or even verbal insults but being spit on, pushed and kicked is not a pleasant vacation experience.

World has many safer and welcoming places that one can choose.

Hopefully, attitudes will return to normal within a year or so because these are really beautiful places to visit.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by behuman
The search of your car you might well get also having the sticker. Unfortunately the Schengen space is not anymore what it was and the Austrians are (rightly) strict.
That is very true. I'm sure that driving a right-hand drive, UK registered car didn't help. It also didn't help that my wallet had been stolen the previous week, so I had no driver's licence and no credit cards. The contents of my car looked a bit fishy too - 5 cartons of cigarettes, about $8,000 cash in 3 different currencies, a length of metal shower hose, a set of steak knives, and a shovel! Although I had perfectly legitimate and innocent reasons for everything I was carrying, it took quite a bit of explaining. Quite honestly I was very happy to hand over the €120 and disappear the 500m or so over the German border.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
...and make sure you do get an Austrian sticker (Vignette). You can buy it at gas stations in neighbouring countries before you cross. It will cost you about €8-10 euro for the minimum 10-day duration. Fix the sticker to the inside of the windshield. Absolutely essential. The last time I chanced a 4km drive on an Austrian Autobahn without one, I got a €120 fine and an hour's search of my car.
Yeah, people tend to forget about the vignette. I hope the search of your car was by Police, not by the Asfinag, that would have been illegal. And driving without a license is illegal anywhere, you could have been fined for that too...

You are correct.

As a travel advisor/planner, I have been recommending to defer plans to go to Hungary, Austria, Poland, Denmark and Sweden. All are beutiful countries to visit. But given current prejudicial environment, brown skinned people are better off postponing visit to these countries until attitudes improve. One can ignore subtle discrimination or even verbal insults but being spit on, pushed and kicked is not a pleasant vacation experience.

Hopefully, attitudes will return to normal within a year or so because these are really beautiful places to visit.
Now that's a bit of an odd thing to say. I've never heard of tourists in either of these countries being spit on or physically assaulted. Where did you get that from? Sounds like a sensationalized CNN report being taken way too seriously.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Revilo199
Yeah, people tend to forget about the vignette. I hope the search of your car was by Police, not by the Asfinag, that would have been illegal. And driving without a license is illegal anywhere, you could have been fined for that too...
Yes, the search was by police. Just to clarify, I am a fully licensed driver, it had been stolen shortly before this incident. Fortunately I had a copy of the German police report to verify this.
Moral of the story: Don't drive on the highway without the vignette. It's not worth the risk.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by desi
As a travel advisor/planner, I have been recommending to defer plans to go to Hungary, Austria, Poland, Denmark and Sweden.

You have been doing mis-service to your customers with ill-judged advice.

As for safety, e.g Denmark or Sweden are one of the safest destinations you can imagine.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
www.raileurope.com
http://www.oebb.at/en/

You can print your ticket at home without the raileurope.com markup.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:48 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Catbert10
http://www.oebb.at/en/

You can print your ticket at home without the raileurope.com markup.
for crossborder trek its likely the ticket will need to be printed at kiosk at the station

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.