Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Budapest. Troubles?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2015, 1:18 am

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Wow. That one is a tough call. Have you tried contacting the hotel in Budapest to see if they will allow you a refund? I'm not sure what I would do in your position. Especially since there are several direct trains each day between Prague and Vienna. One option if you want to still go to Budapest: you can take an EC train to Bratislava from Budapest. And then one of the hourly trains from Bratislava to Vienna (If the direct route between Budapest and Vienna is still chaotic when you're there).
Accommodation in Budapest is AirBnB so e have done our money. We have decided to cancel Budapest as it seems the messiest and could be the most problematic destination for us. At this time we will go direct from Prague to Vienna. I am going to contact the hotel in Vienna and see if they will allow us to move our non refundable bookings forward by a few days. Obviously they have no obligation to do so but will ask.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
We're scheduled to arrive in Budapest on Thursday AM on the overnight train from Prague and to leave for Vienna the following Tuesday. Based on the news reports, we're sticking with our plans. One encouraging thing is that the car service we had scheduled in Budapest had cancelled all reservations but has reinstated ours based on a discussion I had with them. It is of course subject to change if the situation reverts to chaos, which they are not expecting. Since they're there and involved I'm inclined to follow their lead,

On that subject, they told me that there are groups of 4000+ refugees expected at the Hungarian Border today and tomorrow. If they are treated differently, which seems to be the Hungarian plan, they will be moved to the Austrian border as quickly as possible with minimal impact on the rail and road transport systems.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
The situation seems to change every day - now all westbound rail services from HU are restored and running on schedule.

Safe travels, enjoy Budapest, it's a great city!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:37 am

I was just there this week and unless you are going to the train station, which is not near the touristy part of the city, you wouldn't even know this was happening. I enjoyed the trip without any trouble. Although I did see the Football police riot on the way in from the airport, but that was about it.

One other suggestion, if you are talking to drunken locals in a bar about the situation, better to talk about the weather instead. The opinions on this seemed to be very heated on both sides.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by goteed1
I was just there this week and unless you are going to the train station, which is not near the touristy part of the city, you wouldn't even know this was happening. I enjoyed the trip without any trouble. Although I did see the Football police riot on the way in from the airport, but that was about it.
Indeed. Budapest is business as usual, except with some train and bus travel -- in so much as it has been the past several years; and even that is now just about normal for at least those not from countries to the south and/or east (or otherwise perceived to be). That said, touching upon the topic of what has gone on with refugee and other migrant movements is a recipe for some emotional voices or worse.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I arrived in Budapest this morning via the Night Train (EN 477) from Prague. There was no trouble and no problems at the train station.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I was there a week ago and all seemed fine. But I wasn't anywhere near the train station. Flights were fine, the airport seemed quiet actually. I think the media makes things look worse than they actually are, although the migrant crisis is bad of course.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I arrived in Budapest this morning via the Night Train (EN 477) from Prague. There was no trouble and no problems at the train station.
The trains between Hungary and Slovakia are not the issue. As the migrants are trying to get to Austria. And AP News reports today that ÖBB has suspended all trains service into/out of Hungary. They are only running train service from Nickelsdorf (Austrian side of the border) to Vienna.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet
The trains between Hungary and Slovakia are not the issue. As the migrants are trying to get to Austria. And AP News reports today that ÖBB has suspended all trains service into/out of Hungary. They are only running train service from Nickelsdorf (Austrian side of the border) to Vienna.
The earlier problem that we (and many others) were affected by was the situation at Keleti.

I saw the announcement about the ÖBB service suspension later in the day.

I'm scheduled to travel from Keleti - Vienna next Tuesday and will have to make back up arrangements due to the announcements:

From http://www.mavcsoport.hu/en/node/9235 (Bolding is mine)

2015. September 10. Thursday, 14.25 / Last modification: 2015. September 10. Thursday, 19.26
The Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB) temporarily suspended the railway traffic via Hegyeshalom-Nickelsdorf stations towards both directions due to overload.

MÁV-START Co. runs the trains announced in timetable on the domestic section, and replace these with own rolling stock until Hegyeshalom. Due to these measures delays may occur on the Budapest-Győr-Hegyeshalom railway line.

Due to the action of ÖBB, the trains are running according to the followings:

All trains are running between Budapest-Keleti and Hegyeshalom railway stations, but international trains unlike the announced timetable are not crossing the border. There are no railway connection at the moment with Austria via Hegyeshalom station, nor by changing train.

International tickets are accepted also aboard of domestic trains.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 6:53 pm

Train

Direct train services to and from Vieanna and BUD are suspended indefinitely. Crossing boarder on the M1 motorway is also tricky, because sometimes the Austrians just simply close down their borders for hours.

Also from Sept 15th police will start to beat up migrants so things will be tence. If you wanna be on world wide TV just visit Hungary.

Air travel service is uninterrupted, thought prices for air travel increased drastically.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Austria says it is no longer going to suspend the rules which is allowing these migrants to just transit through their country. Let's see how well that goes. Like I said upthread. There is hourly regional train station service between Bratislava and Vienna. If the Budpaest-Bratislava EC train service is not suspended, that routing is probably the best option. It's about 5 hours total on the trains, plus the connecting time in Bratislava, versus the 3 hour direct train ride (which is currently suspended).
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:39 am

Train service from Austria to Germany has been suspended from 17:00 CET. Also border control has been reinstated between Germany and Austria!
Old Sep 13, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
If anyone's planning/considering travel between Budapest and Vienna via Bratislava as an alternative, feel free to PM if you need any advice. I know this area (and its transit options and roads) well and will be more than happy to assist you with planning (subject to my availability ).
Old Sep 13, 2015, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by makos
Train service from Austria to Germany has been suspended from 17:00 CET. Also border control has been reinstated between Germany and Austria!
The German rail company informed the Austrian rail company about the cross-border service situation, and so the Austrian rail company followed the German rail company in shutting down service. And indeed German border control has been temporarily reinstated, on orders from a German cabinet-level figure.

Checks on river boats too?

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 13, 2015 at 1:54 pm
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:57 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Train services between Austria and Germany are now resumed with some services still being affected (mostly between Salzburg and Munich) and with documents checks on border.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.