Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Way to Get From IST Airport to Hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Good day,

Wife and I will be flying J from DFW-IAH-IST this Saturday. We are staying at the Titanic Port Bakirkoy Hotel for one night. What is the best way to get from the Airport to the Hotel? Keep in mind, we will be carrying some luggage (not just carry on).

Also, since we will be in town only one evening, I'd like to go to a great restaurant down where are the attractions and action is. Any recommendations on restaurants?

Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
GELIK restaurant is your best bet

http://www.gelik.com.tr/

Taxi or BiTaksi

11 mins approximately by car.

I love Google

Last edited by djjaguar64; Aug 24, 2015 at 10:20 am
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks djjaguar64. We will likely taxi to the hotel then. It appears it's within 5 miles, so shouldn't be too expensive. They do use meters in the cab, correct?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
It may cost about 19 Euros but their taxi's have meters as well.

http://www.wittistanbul.com/magazine...ought-to-know/
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: Flying Blue
You should ask the Hotel, how much the taxi fare normally is and then ask the taxidriver before you board the taxi. Then you know, if he wants to rip you off or not, and then there should be no problem
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:54 am

Ohh, the answer is on the webpage:
From Ataturk Airport (IST)

We have a complimentary transfer service for online bookings through our website, operating six days a week between 8 am to 5 pm. The service is not available on sundays. You may follow up the instructions on our booking page to use this service.
Transportation by 7/24 Airport taxis takes around 15 minutes from Ataturk International Airport depending upon traffic. The cost is approximately EUR. 10.-
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Bjotr -- Thanks, I did read that. Of course, I'll be arriving on Sunday when that service isn't available.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I usually stay at Titanic Port or Ramada Inn (next door). It's my favorite area to stay in Istanbul - next to the mall (Capacity), walking distance to pier (directly to Kadikoy and Bostanci), shops across the streets, good god they need to get the rail done ASAP (it's a few steps from Bakirkoy Station). With 1 night I'd just hang around the area at places mentioned above, the traffic is horrendous on Fisekhane Cd. at almost any given moment, next time you'll want to stay here longer.

Regarding transportation, if you're traveling as groups just take the taxi, it should cost no more than 30 TLR. There are a few other seafood restaurants across the mall too.

Last edited by vincewy; Aug 24, 2015 at 12:23 pm
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

vincewy -- Really appreciate the advice. Since we are there such a short time, your recommendation would be to stay near the hotel for dinner? Are there any good/more upscale restaurants on/near the pier area you mentioned?

Since there are two of us, we will just take a taxi. I'm sure my wife's bag will weigh damn near 50 lbs so the less I have to drag that around, the better.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by cslovacek
Bjotr -- Thanks, I did read that. Of course, I'll be arriving on Sunday when that service isn't available.
Ahh, ok. Anyway, beware (a little bit) of the taxi drivers but overall I love Istanbul and the people there
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by cslovacek
vincewy -- Really appreciate the advice. Since we are there such a short time, your recommendation would be to stay near the hotel for dinner? Are there any good/more upscale restaurants on/near the pier area you mentioned?

Since there are two of us, we will just take a taxi. I'm sure my wife's bag will weigh damn near 50 lbs so the less I have to drag that around, the better.
I know someone recommends Gelik but weekend nights are among the worst in Bakirkoy, especially the mall, you'll be stuck in traffic for hours so just find some place(s) to eat around the hotel. The higher end restaurants are at the other end of the mall on the other side toward the pier. Across the main street (Fisekhane Cd) there are some cafes too.

Don't bother with the pier if you have limited time, there's nothing to eat at the pier nor on board except tea/coffee. If you get there early and want some scenery at night, take the boat from Bakirkoy pier toward Kadikoy to view Istanbul's landmarks during the evening, see the weekend schedule at the bottom (latest you want to get there is 8 pm so you'll get back with the last one at 9:20 pm)

http://www.ido.com.tr/en/timetables/...-timetable/679

Originally Posted by Bjotr
Ahh, ok. Anyway, beware (a little bit) of the taxi drivers but overall I love Istanbul and the people there
If you want to avoid taxis completely take metro and get off at Bakirkoy Incirli, walk toward the main street (Incirli Cd), there're a lot of minibuses (dolmus) to the mall Capacity, you want to take the buses from the bridge overpass, not toward, my last visit the fare is 1.50 TLR. I have done this myself with 1 checked bag (caveat: not recommended if you're traveling with loved ones), or simply take taxis from Bakirkoy Incirli, they tend to be cheaper than from the airports (warning: do not pay attention to touts at the airport trying to flag you for taxis, you'll be robbed blind).

Jesus christ, those cab drivers are relentless, even myself with reasonable commands in Turkish they'll still try to rip me off, again, this is another topic.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 12:46 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
As this discussion has nothing to do with Turkish Airline please continue in "Europe" forum. ^

starflyergold
TK M&S forum moderator
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:41 am

Programs: *G
agree with vince: get a sniff of the bosphorus.

take the ferry to either kabatas or yenikapi, and bounce across to kadikoy and walk up to Ciya restaurants (multiple, adjacent to one another)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.