Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ideas for 6 days in Europe in September?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ideas for 6 days in Europe in September?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: UA/AA
If you want to use Starwood points in Greece, there is a very nice Sheraton on Ixia beach on Rhodes. Rhodes is about an hour flight from Athens.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by Clint Bint
I'd do no more than a couple of days in Athens and then pick an island within easy travelling distance.
Somewhere like Aegina is very close but there are many others within a couple of hours by fast hydrofoil.
This is a useful guide to everything Greece.
http://www.greektravel.com/lesson1
Helpful site! Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
While Oktoberfest would be fun, doubt you are going to get SPG hotel on points at this point.
What about Madrid and Barcelona? Fly into one, train to the other, fly out of it.
Barcelona gives you the beach. Madrid - history, sightseeing, great nightlife.
Spain is cheaper than the others.
In Barcelona, you could stay at the Four Points for 3-4000 points a night.
Madrid is a bit pricey from a points perspective. Alternatively, you could do Valencia.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Whilst normally I would unreservedly recommend Greece or (especially) Crete, I would hold back from booking anything at the moment while the currency situation resolves itself, if it does by then. I fear it will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Originally Posted by rin1018
Wow - lots of ideas! Thanks!

I'm on the 3:20pm United flight going back to Chicago on Sunday, so could in theory get back to London that morning (I booked the later flight for that reason), but did think about coming back night before to prevent any issues.
Your flight from LHR might complicate things a little. Most airlines fly to LGW for European sun destinations, whereas LHR is more business orientated - and thus going to capital cities at high prices, versus tourist destinations at lower prices. In theory you should be safe getting an early flight into LGW or even LTN or STN and then transferring but, at least from Southern Europe where the flight times are longer, you might struggle to leave enough time. Better to spend the savings on a nice meal in London the night before, perhaps in a less familiar area of London, and a morning doing some more exploring before heading to the airport.

Mid-September is getting a little late for the beach in the northern Med - it will have cooled down and there can be quite a wind. If you really want beaches, go to Bodrum in Turkey or Tunisia (it should be empty now, and the security will be tight!). If you want culture, then the weather should be perfect as it will be cooler. The world's (or at least Europe) is your oyster but, if it were me and avoiding Greece, I'd choose Croatia because I haven't been there. But, if you haven't been to Rome, then it's a must. Don't try to do too much - why not fly into Rome and fly out of Florence - that would be a full but fantastic 5 days. Use Kayak for the flights - they are all available one way and don't be too fussy about airports - currently CIA is a better bet than FCO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.