Turkey at the end of July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG gold; otherwise just base in everything so far, but learning!
Originally Posted by chinoz
I would fly into ASR. There are more flights and only a slightly longer drive. Kelebek provides a shuttle service (10 euro per ) that's comfortable.

Try this website
https://www.aerobilet.net/

If you're not really into Roman ruins I would say Ephesus can be dropped. What's your current itin now?
So we are now thinking of this:
1. Land Istanbul and stay a couple nights there.
2. Fly to Cappadocia for two nights.
3. Fly back to Istanbul for the remaining nights.

We will consider staying in different parts of Istanbul for the beginning and end of the trip. Perhaps Sultanahmet first and a more local feel for the second....

Thanks for the advice about ASR. Will check it out.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 5:30 am

if you wanted to squeeze in Izmir region I could see something like

IST - 3 nights
ASR - 2 nights
ADB - 3 nights

2 full days in Istanbul, balloon ride and tour in Goreme, Ephesus and Sirince for the final few days... close enough to the beach to spend a relaxing afternoon before heading home.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:17 am
Original Poster

We decided to go to Cappadocia directly after landing in Istanbul (with a suitable time for connection, of course!), spend two nights there, then fly back to Istanbul, where we plan to spend six nights.

Now, we are looking at hotels.

We were thinking of something in Sultanahmet or Sirkeci, so we can be close to trams, Hagia Sofia, Underground cistern, etc. We are looking at the hotel websites as well as hotels.com, etc. I have plenty of Starpoints to use, but the SPG hotels are on the new side, far from the more touristy part...

Any suggestions? We have considered the Ottoman Hotel Imperial, Sura Design, Boutique St. Sophia, The Empress Theodora (I booked a refundable stay there just in case). The Four Seasons looks spectacular, but given that we are going to be out so much, not sure it's worth the $$$.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Also, with regard to hamams, how are they in general? Are they clean? We have been reading some books which suggest that the loofahs are reused between customers.

Which is the best in Istanbul? Otherwise we can try to do the hamam at Kelebek in Cappadocia. Are the massages worth doing, too?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:54 am

Programs: *G
cagaloglu is one of the more prominent ones in istanbul. they are clean. you get such a thorough scrub-down that i dont see how it can leave you unclean.

down the street from kelebek is a standalone hamam called Elis and it is too a good facility
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by fuzz
We decided to go to Cappadocia directly after landing in Istanbul (with a suitable time for connection, of course!), spend two nights there, then fly back to Istanbul, where we plan to spend six nights.

Now, we are looking at hotels.

We were thinking of something in Sultanahmet or Sirkeci, so we can be close to trams, Hagia Sofia, Underground cistern, etc. We are looking at the hotel websites as well as hotels.com, etc. I have plenty of Starpoints to use, but the SPG hotels are on the new side, far from the more touristy part...

Any suggestions? We have considered the Ottoman Hotel Imperial, Sura Design, Boutique St. Sophia, The Empress Theodora (I booked a refundable stay there just in case). The Four Seasons looks spectacular, but given that we are going to be out so much, not sure it's worth the $$$.
You already said you would fly IST- Kayseri (ASR), you should book the return Nevşehir (NAV)-IST.

As has been mentioned, it will be very hot, last summer it was 35C-40C during the daytime in Cappadocia.

When in July are you going? There's a very big holiday period when Ramadan ends (Ramazan Bayramı), and the airports, train stations, bus depots, etc will be very crowded.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Two local ladies independently told me that the Swissotel has the best hamman and is where they go. It is super clean. The Ayasofia hammam has more of an ancient exotic (I’m in Istanbul!!) feel. http://www.ayasofyahamami.com/histor...ctural_texture . They definitely do NOT re-use loofahs because they give you the loofah to take with you when you leave. They seem to definitely cater to tourists. I’ve been to the Ayasofia twice and the Swisshotel once. Would go back to either one but would probably take a first-time guest to the Ayasofia. Also went to another hammam which I did not care for. If I remember the name I will post it.

Do not underestimate the horrible traffic in Istanbul. I would stay in Sultanahmet since you want to see the sights and have a child with you. Beyoglu might also work for you. Not too far and has more of a night life. Have not yet found a hotel that I would unqualifyingly recommend. Lunch at the Four Seasons in Sutanahmet was nice though and worth a visit if you want to feel some tranquility and luxury in the middle of the city. For our first visit, we stayed Ortakoy, which was way too far (although very cool with some huge yachts parked near-by!)

We used Uber in Istanbul and found it worked very well for us and was cleaner than the taxis. We also took the tram when we could. (Although one Uber driver got lost when we were going to a hotel that had multiple locations and took us to the wrong place.)
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:19 pm

Are taxi scams and other scams really common in Istanbul ?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:35 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Asmonaut
Are taxi scams and other scams really common in Istanbul ?
no.

by far not as prevalent as in, e.g., the philippines.

if its particularly busy, you might get drivers who refuse your ride, esp if you are foreigner.

a few might not go the absolute optimal route, or drop you off at exact destination, or insist on flat fare.... about 1/5 or 1/10.... but if you have your wits about you you wont be caught off-guard.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond

Normally we have turkey at the end of December
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto
You already said you would fly IST- Kayseri (ASR), you should book the return Nevşehir (NAV)-IST.

As has been mentioned, it will be very hot, last summer it was 35C-40C during the daytime in Cappadocia.

When in July are you going? There's a very big holiday period when Ramadan ends (Ramazan Bayramı), and the airports, train stations, bus depots, etc will be very crowded.
We did get IST/Kayseri round trip, but I believe it is changeable if we want.

We are going at the end of July, more than a week after Eid, which is July 17.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Cappadocia tours

We are deciding between a few tours in Cappadocia. They do not have the "green tour" any longer, so we are trying to figure out the best itinerary for the one day tour we will take.

As for balloon rides, do you recommend Kapadokya or Butterfly?

As for the tours,
1. New Goreme Tours. http://www.newgoreme.com/cappadocia-...City-Tour.html
This is the itinerary:
• Ürgüp three beauties
• Mustafapaşa
• Taşkinpaşa
• Sobessos
• Lunch
• Soğanli valley hiking
• Derinkuyu
• Koçabağ wine tasting

2. Shahmat Tours. http://www.shahmattours.com/en/tour-...padocia-tours/

This is their itinerary:

Full day tour of Southern Part of Cappadocia
Hiking in Meskendir Valley and Rose Valley
Cavusin Village, one of the oldest settlement in the region with its cave houses
Love Valley
Kaymaklı Underground City
Pigeon Valley
Uchisar Castle

3. Reliable Tours

These are two of their itineraries:
Tour 2
Full Day regular Cappadocia tour including Goreme Panorama where you will have a complete view of Goreme valley and Goreme village, Kaymakli Underground City, one of the best preserved and deepest underground cities, Ortahisar Village, Pigeon Valley(picture stop)and hike in the Rose Valley depending on the weather

Tour 3
Full day tour including Goreme Panaroma, Derinkuyu Underground City, one of the best preserved and deepest underground cities in Cappadocia Ihlara Valley which is a 16 km long canyon and both sides are lined with rock carved churches( 3 km hike and visit one of the cave churches in IhlaraValley) At the end of the walk, lunch will be served at Belisirma Village at a river by restaurant. Selime Monastery, carved out of the rock by Christian monks in the 13th century. Picture stop over the Pigeon Valley.

We are staying at the Kelebek Hotel in Goreme, so we can do the open air museum ourselves. We get there on Saturday night, then spend two nights there and leave late on Monday night.

Does anyone have experience with these itineraries or companies?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.