Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Asking for Europe 2015 Help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by stut
You can ask Israeli immigration to not stamp your passport.

Personally, Israel seems a little too far away for such a short jaunt. For a mixture of beach and 'stuff to do', Naples is great - you've got the insane city itself, Pompeii, then Sorrento, Capri and the Amalfi coast.
Budapest to Istanbul is 3 hours; to Tel Aviv is 4 hours; Naples is an hour away.

However, I just checked and they don't fly on the days I want so Naples is unfortunately out.

Unless I extend Budapest and only have two days in Naples....

Life is good when this is your problem haha.

EDIT: Due to my schedule in mid-September, Istanbul works better in my itinerary. Fly from BUD through WizzAir, fly straight to CPH via Pegasus.

Worked out the math and since I booked a PRG to CPH flight earlier ($77CAD), it's a loss. However, it's still cheaper to fly to Istanbul vs. Prague haha:

BUD->PRG->CPH
$311 nonstop + 77 = $388CAD

BUD->SAW->CPH
$56USD or $70CAD + $156 + $77 + $60USD or $75CAD (eVisa) = $378CAD

Last edited by flipstah; Jul 16, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
I'm going to play Devil's advocate here and say "why not reconsider KRK?" because I'm biased.

I know you're saying "but KRK isn't on the beach" and you would be right. But I'm going to link to a satellite view that I think will change your mind. That's right; it's a pool on a boat on the river, next to a fake beach with a not-totally-terrible pseudo-cabana-restaurant, next to a mostly-dilapidated-and-abandoned old communist hotel which is being slowly renovated into a hipster beach bar (with their own, separate, fake beach) and go-kart track.... or auto parts store. I can't remember.

I mean, there's also Kryspinów which is a slightly less fake beach, but how much better would the story be when you tell people you had a beach holiday in Kraków. And then hopefully they realize that Kraków is severly landlocked and not somewhere in Spain.

Added bonus: you can probably take a night train from BUD to KRK for far less than flying. At least I took one the opposite direction once before. Just be wary of online rail consolidator prices - they can be high.

*Disclaimer: This post is only meant to be taken half-seriously. I think you should totally consider KRK, but I would not at all be offended if you did not."
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
stut is correct that you can ask the Israelis to either not stamp your passport or they can also staple a blank sheet into your passport that they stamp and then remove when you leave. You are correct about Lebanon not letting you with with a stamp from Israel on your passport.
If you have 3 or 4 days in Israel you can do quite a bit. A trip to the Old City in Jerusalem is a must. From Tel Aviv you can also arrange a day trip to Petra (about 400 USD). One thing I did was rented a car and drove from Tel Aviv to the Dead Sea, climbed Masada and soaked in the sea before driving back to Tel Aviv. I did this all in a day. Read up on Tel Aviv. I was quite surprised how laid back and Mediterranean it was with a great cafes, night life and wonderful beach scene.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:53 am
Original Poster

^ I really wanted to go to Tel Aviv but the flight back to CPH would've been daunting and I'd be pushing myself to catch my flight home.

Istanbul worked better because I was able to get a direct flight back to CPH with a day buffer before my flight home.

Thanks for all your help, fellow FT'ers and you never disappoint on your advice and shenanigans!

It's a small world and your life is what you make of it so I'll definitely be returning to get a 'krak' of Krakow (ha).

I can't think of puns for Prague.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by flipstah
It's a small world and your life is what you make of it so I'll definitely be returning to get a 'krak' of Krakow (ha).
You could return for the Crack-run? Start in Ireland for some Craic, fly to Poland for some KRK, train down to Krk, Croatia, and then Amsteradm?

(C) me.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
You could return for the Crack-run? Start in Ireland for some Craic, fly to Poland for some KRK, train down to Krk, Croatia, and then Amsteradm?

(C) me.
Awesome. I want to take a crack at this crack-run.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:14 am

Awesome. I want to take a crack at this crack-run.
There have got to be more Crack-related places in Europe.... by which I mean linguistically, of course. It'd actually make for quite the interesting combination.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

We can get some Kriek in Belgium?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

HAHAHA. Savings went out the window because I didn't know Turkey required an eVisa.

Too late now! :P

I saved $10?

Last edited by flipstah; Jul 16, 2015 at 1:07 pm
Old Jul 16, 2015, 3:05 pm

We can get some Kriek in Belgium?
Heck yes! How did I miss that one?!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Looks like I'll be staying in Sultanamet area for Istanbul! Need to splurge after roughing it in hostels for Budapest and Copenhagen haha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.