Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Zurich-Salzburg-Munich-Vienna: Any Visa Issues?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zurich-Salzburg-Munich-Vienna: Any Visa Issues?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
Question Zurich-Salzburg-Munich-Vienna: Any Visa Issues?

Hi guys-

My mother and I are taking a trip to Europe together this summer in late August for 2 weeks. During this journey, we'll be doing USA-Zurich-Salzburg-Munich-Vienna-USA. I have a US passport, and mom has a Korean passport.

Based on checking online resources, it doesn't look like we'll have issues getting temporary tourist visas when we get to the borders. My question is, based on the order of our cities in our journey, we're entering Austria, then leaving Austria to go to Germany, then back to Austria for a few more days. The second time we get to Austria, will we have any issues getting the similar temporary visas? Are there any rules preventing no 2 entries in X period of time?

Thank you!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Auracon
...we'll be doing USA-Zurich-Salzburg-Munich-Vienna-USA.

...we're entering Austria, then leaving Austria to go to Germany, then back to Austria for a few more days...
Zurich was never in Austria, it's in Switzerland!

Also, unless I'm terribly wrong, neither Koreans nor US citizens would require a Schengen visa for that trip (short stay of less than 90 days), and you will certainly not require a "tourist visa" when entering Switzerland, which nobody gets.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Once you have arrived in Switzerland you will be inside the Schengen area which encompasses Switzerland, Germany and Austria (and a while load of other countries). You can go backwards and forwards between Schengen countries as often as you like and there are no border controls.

http://www.schengenvisainfo.com/sche...ountries-list/
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
Zurich was never in Austria, it's in Switzerland!
I think you jumped much too quickly and made the false assumption that the OP didn't know that Zürich is in Switzerland, especially in light of the fact that he/she is a United GS. Or, did you ignore that little fact?

Auracon, I realize that you are flying into Zürich, Switzerland and then traveling to Salzburg, Austria, then to Munich, Germany and, then, going back into Austria, specifically, Vienna.

Having done something similar many, many times in these same countries, you will have no problems and will not need any visas. You've already stated that you have your passports and that is all you will need.

One question - Are you renting a car in Zürich?

Enjoy your trip. It should be a lot of fun.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I think you jumped much too quickly and made the false assumption that the OP didn't know that Zürich is in Switzerland, especially in light of the fact that he/she is a United GS. Or, did you ignore that little fact?

Auracon, I realize that you are flying into Zürich, Switzerland and then traveling to Salzburg, Austria, then to Munich, Germany and, then, going back into Austria, specifically, Vienna.

Having done something similar many, many times in these same countries, you will have no problems and will not need any visas. You've already stated that you have your passports and that is all you will need.

One question - Are you renting a car in Zürich?

Enjoy your trip. It should be a lot of fun.
Sorry, but I wrote exactly the same like you simply using fewer words. In which respect did I jump too quickly [into conclusions]? Also, being United GS means that you spend a lot of bucks flying United, e.g, through cross-continental flights or up and down the Americas, etc. It doesn't mean that you know geography, hence your own explanation on the details of the OP's itin.

Last edited by KLouis; Apr 1, 2015 at 8:27 pm
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
Sorry, but I wrote exactly the same like you simply using fewer words. In which respect did I jump too quickly [into conclusions]?
Sorry, but it's obvious that you wouldn't understand.

Also, being United GS means that you spend a lot of bucks flying United, e.g, through cross-continental flights or up and down the Americas, etc.
While you COULD be correct in your assumption, you COULD, also, definitely be wrong. From your comment, it's obvious that you aren't familiar with the GS program.

It doesn't mean that you know geography, hence your own explanation on the details of the OP's itin.
My "explanation" was more directed to you and, obviously, it went over your head. Sorry about that.

Basically, you have a fondness for making assumptions that are not rooted in fact. You made a comment about the OP that was fundamentally insulting to them based on your assumption that they didn't know geography. To most on FT, it would be obvious what the OP meant. Unfortunately, it escaped you. It might help if you reread the OP, slowly, and see if you come away with a better comprehension.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Apr 1, 2015 at 9:28 pm
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Sorry, but it's obvious that you wouldn't understand.

While you COULD be correct in your assumption, you COULD, also, definitely be wrong. From your comment, it's obvious that you aren't familiar with the GS program.

My "explanation" was more directed to you and, obviously, it went over your head. Sorry about that.

Basically, you have a fondness for making assumptions that are not rooted in fact. You made a comment about the OP that was fundamentally insulting to them based on your assumption that they didn't know geography. To most on FT, it would be obvious what the OP meant. Unfortunately, it escaped you. It might help if you reread the OP, slowly, and see if you come away with a better comprehension.
I will obviously not continue this discussion. I simply feel sorry for those who may depend on your evaluation skills. But, please, feel free to continue...
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
Ah. I have not done the in and out multiple times thru the same country in a single trip in the area along with a non US national so just wanted to double check. Glad to see same rules apply to mother.

I won't be renting a car out there, so looks like I'm all set. Thank you!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:37 pm

I hope your mother and you have a wonderful time together. You're visiting some very nice cities.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:17 am
Suspended

I won't be renting a car out there, so looks like I'm all set. Thank you!
Do you calculate the cost?
1) Zürich/ Swizerland is very expencive...
2) Parking Fee in the City. In Vienna the "Ring" Parking Garage in the City cost ~26€ a Day. To enter Munich you need an Sticker for "German environmental zones" whithout you pay a huge fee... (Non German Cars Rental dont have it in the most case!)
3) Toll on the Highway
4) Very hight Gas Price.

Other think to know
Switzerland: Schengen -> Yes / EU -> No
Austria, Germany Schengen -> Yes / EU -> Yes
That mean if you get an Entry Document for the EU you need may some additional for Switzerland.

If you have questions about Vienna i live here. You can ask me all you want.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by ToGo
Do you calculate the cost?
1) Zürich/ Swizerland is very expencive...
2) Parking Fee in the City. In Vienna the "Ring" Parking Garage in the City cost ~26€ a Day. To enter Munich you need an Sticker for "German environmental zones" whithout you pay a huge fee... (Non German Cars Rental dont have it in the most case!)
3) Toll on the Highway
4) Very hight Gas Price.
???????

The OP said that they are NOT renting a car.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:17 am

That mean if you get an Entry Document for the EU you need may some additional for Switzerland.
An entry document for the EU? What's that supposed to mean?

Auracon, the second answer you got told you everything you need to know - there are no border controls between the countries you are visiting, that's really all you need to know.

And it's also correct that as a US citizen you don't need a visa (and others have indicated that Koreans don't need one either). Schengen countries (and other EU countries) distinguish between "visa nationals" and "non-visa nationals". If you're a non-visa national you can visit Schengen countries for up to three months in any six, without formalities.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 2:31 am
Suspended

An entry document for the EU? What's that supposed to mean?
May you need a Visa or something else.
there are no border controls between the countries you are visiting, that's really all you need to know.
yes and no.
On the Boarder there is no control but it can be everywhere. When the Police check the ID the check the Visa to.

Dont forget Switzerland (and Lichtenstein) is not an EU Member!!!
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
May you need a Visa or something else.yes and no.
On the Boarder there is no control but it can be everywhere. When the Police check the ID the check the Visa to.

Dont forget Switzerland (and Lichtenstein) is not an EU Member!!!
Sorry, but these are false issues.

Under what circumstances would a policeman need to check your ID - you make this sound like a regular occurence which it is certainly not.

And the fact that Switzerland is not a member of the EU is - for the purposes of intra-Schengen travel - about as relevant to this matter as to whether Switzerland is a member of the International Equestrian Association or not.

Once more for the OP, this is what will happen:

1. Neither USA nationals nor nationals of South Korea require to apply in advance for a visa to enter Switzerland.

2. On arriving in Switzerland they will pass through an external Schengen border and be inside the Schengen area.

3. This will involve having Swiss customs stamp their passports and giving them a tourist visa - the stamp on the passport is the visa. This is known as a "visa-on-arrival"

4. Inside the Schengen area there is complete freedom of movement to go backwards and forwards as you wish and there is nobody there to examine your passport.

5. When you leave the Schengen area you again pass through an external border and will need to show your passport.

Enjoy your trip
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:19 am
Suspended

Under what circumstances would a policeman need to check your ID
that happend often...
The try to check my Train Ticket but outside of the Train its not legal. But the ignore it and the call the police. I refund a display at the police. (I hope the translation is correct...)

So i dont know the Law to get into Switzerland for non European so i give a warning. Many people wondering when the have trouble on the CH Boarder....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.