Wiki Posts
Search

airport shuttle/taxi from WAW to Lodz, Poland

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
airport shuttle/taxi from WAW to Lodz, Poland

I would like to book a shuttle or taxi service from WAW to Lodz.
Does anyone have experience with this company :
Viptrans24?
Or can anyone recommend another taxi/ shuttle company?
Thank you
Old Sep 18, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: price is a king
Hi

Route Warsaw -> Lodz is always little problematic - quite a short distance, but not too many options for travel

It is 1h drive - how much did they quote you? Have you checked with mid-priced taxis? It really depends on what level of comfort you're looking for

mfk
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
There is a bus terminal (for national bus companies) west of the terminal building (kind of near the entrance of the rail station). Just past where the old "purple" terminal is. There is most likely a bus company with service to Łódz. I'd try the WAW airport website to see if anything about the bus companies is mentioned. Maybe under 'ground transportation'.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Thank you michalfkowalik
I am not really looking for comfort, only for getting to Lodz the fastest and easiest way. We are landing late afternoon on a Sunday and don't want to do the train due to it taking too long. On the way home I will be quite happy to go by train as we'll have more time. The bus shuttle times don't suit our arrival time.

I have looked at different shuttle/taxi services and this one seemed to be the cheapest. They cost 299 zloty. That is for a car up to 4 people ( we are two people ). So I was wondering if this was maybe too cheap to be true?

This company is based in Lodz and offer airport transfers, other transfers and sightseeing tours. They have a home page and seem legitimate.

Last edited by helosc; Sep 18, 2014 at 11:42 pm
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fanjet
There is a bus terminal (for national bus companies) west of the terminal building (kind of near the entrance of the rail station). Just past where the old "purple" terminal is. There is most likely a bus company with service to Łódz. I'd try the WAW airport website to see if anything about the bus companies is mentioned. Maybe under 'ground transportation'.
Thank you.
I have checked the different bus companies and there are busses to Lodz.
But the times don't really suit me ( and they don't run very often ) and you can't buy a ticket beforehand so you'll risk not getting a seat. As it is also Sunday afternoon I assume less busses.
I would like to have that transfer fixed beforehand, so I'll have no waiting time, no hassle.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by helosc

I have looked at different shuttle/taxi services and this one seemed to be the cheapest. They cost 299 zloty. That is for a car up to 4 people ( we are two people ). So I was wondering if this was maybe too cheap to be true?

This company is based in Lodz and offer airport transfers, other transfers and sightseeing tours. They have a home page and seem legitimate.
299 PLN??? That's almost $100! Not exactly cheap for Poland IMO. I almost never use taxi service in Poland, but I thought higher rates are charged on Sundays. There is a big bus company called Polskibus (www.polskibus.com). You can buy their tickets online. I'm not sure if they stop at WAW though.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:46 am
Original Poster

299 PLN??? That's almost $100! Not exactly cheap for Poland IMO. I almost never use taxi service in Poland, but I thought higher rates are charged on Sundays. There is a big bus company called Polskibus (www.polskibus.com). You can buy their tickets online. I'm not sure if they stop at WAW though.
So if it is not too cheap then the company should be ok.
I must get a quote from them to see if they charge more on Sundays.
I have almost no knowledge of taxi prices in other countries as I use public transport or hotel arranged shuttles and I come from a country where a taxi for this distance would break the bank.
Will also check the bus you mentioned.
Tnank you
Old Sep 19, 2014, 2:48 am

you can try Modlinbus: http://www.modlinbus.com/strony/page...okecie-chopina (Warsaw Chopin - Łodz), 6 Times a day, you can buy tickets online, fast.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olekorlo
you can try Modlinbus: http://www.modlinbus.com/strony/page...okecie-chopina (Warsaw Chopin - Łodz), 6 Times a day, you can buy tickets online, fast.
Thank you.
I dismissed this bus because they have a big gap between departures in the evening. They have a departure at 17.50 which I can make if I land on time but not if I don't. And then they don't have a departure until 23.30.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Checked the polskibus and they don't leave from the airport as far as I can figure out.
299 PLN is cheap enough for me given the convenience of having a car waiting for us at the airport even if we are delayed.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:00 am

299 PLN??? That's almost $100! Not exactly cheap for Poland IMO.
It's quite cheap I must admit - just called my cab company (GROSIK) and they quoted 400PLN.

I'm not sure if they stop at WAW though.
They stop at "Dworzec Poludniowy" (Wilanowska Metro) - quite a hassle to get there from the airport. I hope PB will have a stop at EPWA one day!

299 PLN is cheap enough for me given the convenience of having a car waiting for us at the airport even if we are delayed.
I'd do the same. The fastest and the most convenient.

Enjoy Lodz - let me know if you'd need any addresses (food / drinks / shops)

best!
mfk
Old Sep 19, 2014, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichalFKowalik

I'd do the same. The fastest and the most convenient.

Enjoy Lodz - let me know if you'd need any addresses (food / drinks / shops)

best!
mfk
I have just booked the Viptrans24. No mention of extra charges on Sundays.
I'll post back here after my trip (mid-oct).
Thank you for the offer. I'll see what I can dig up myself first, though. I normally do a serious google session before a trip, so I am armed with all sorts of information when I go - part of the pleasure....
And I am sure I'll enjoy Lodz.

I do have one additional question though : tipping
How much would be a reasonable tip to the driver for a trip like this?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:46 am

Thank you for the offer. I'll see what I can dig up myself first, though. I normally do a serious google session before a trip, so I am armed with all sorts of information when I go - part of the pleasure....
And I am sure I'll enjoy Lodz.
GOOD. Just in case - our favorite spots
http://owoceiwarzywa.com/
http://offpiotrkowska.com/
http://www.anatewka.pl/
http://www.atosushi.pl/ (BEST. SUSHI. IN. POLAND.)

That's an unique one - Lodz sightseeing in an old tram. Reasonable pricing must admit.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wycie...93696414003416

Again, I hope you have a good guide on site - Lodz went through several major ups & downs in the past 200 years, you can't tell that just by walking around.

I do have one additional question though : tipping
How much would be a reasonable tip to the driver for a trip like this?
Two Poles, four opinions

I usually do the following:
- driver wasn't nice, took a longer route - 0%
- driver was OK, professional - 10%
- driver was proactive, provided some tips (except go-go bars), helped with luggage - 20%+

mfk
Old Sep 21, 2014, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MichalFKowalik
GOOD. Just in case - our favorite spots
http://owoceiwarzywa.com/
http://offpiotrkowska.com/
http://www.anatewka.pl/
http://www.atosushi.pl/ (BEST. SUSHI. IN. POLAND.)

That's an unique one - Lodz sightseeing in an old tram. Reasonable pricing must admit.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wycie...93696414003416

Again, I hope you have a good guide on site - Lodz went through several major ups & downs in the past 200 years, you can't tell that just by walking around.

Two Poles, four opinions

I usually do the following:
- driver wasn't nice, took a longer route - 0%
- driver was OK, professional - 10%
- driver was proactive, provided some tips (except go-go bars), helped with luggage - 20%+

mfk
Thank you for the links.
The Off-piotrkowska place looks very interesting and it is close to my hotel
( doubletree ). I might not have found this on my own with all the emphasis on the Manufactura.
I knew of the Anatewka restaurant and definitely plan to go there.
Good Sushi is always good to know about.
I will try to get more information on the tram - their website isn't loading. I love trams and trains.

No, I have not planned on using a guide - I never have used one. I read up on a place of course, I visit the obvious sites and then I try to find other less famous sites that interest me. I do not like museums in general. I walk around a lot just looking around me, also in neighbourhoods not deemed interesting for tourists.

And thank you for the tipping guide. I am an awkward tipper, I don't feel comfortable with it, coming from a more or less no-tipping country ( at least it used to be in my formative years ). I am ok with tipping housekeeping in hotels and always do as I can just leave the money discreetly behind when I leave.
Otherwise my default tipping is 10%-ish, possibly a little more in countries where people rely on tips as part of their income.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:14 am

[...]coming from a more or less no-tipping country ( at least it used to be in my formative years ) [...]
Oh, right Mikkeller-land? (apologies, I'm a beer freak, my MUST VISIT place in CPH, Viktoriagade 8)

Safe travels!

mfk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.