Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eastern Europe 8 day Itinerary help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Eastern Europe 8 day Itinerary help

Flying in from Asia via miles on CX J open jaw: in Frankfurt, out Milan OR vice-versa in mid-November.

My wife and i are on a quick anniversary getaway primarily looking to see Prague and Budapest but also interested in Vienna/Salzburg and possibly Croatia if doable.

Since it's a long flight, option is either connecting flight to Prague or do an overnight in Frankfurt before doing the train/bus combo. But not big on Prague so leaning on the flight option more. Then 3 nights each in Prague and Budapest before heading down to Milan (via Vienna) for the flight back home.

Questions:

1. Would it be a bad idea to do the trip in reverse starting Milan and ending Frankfurt? Shopping-wise it would mean leather goods first and then luggage at the end, hehe.
2. Would a Salzburg/Vienna day side-trip be possible from either Prague or Budapest? Mrs. wants to see The Sound of Music manor if possible.
3. Would a Croatia day trip be possible from Budapest? Looking to see a site or two from the Game of Thrones as well as the local sights.
4. Only putting Austria into the equation since initial research says you stop there via train in between Budapest and Milan. But could skip it to focus on Prague and Budapest.
5. I'm assuming trains will be my best option except for the Frankfurt/Prague leg.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by allenaatan; Jul 18, 2014 at 10:05 am Reason: Date added.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:27 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
As with many other threads here on FT, you may be trying to do too much in too short a time.

Trains are great in Europe, but in Eastern - Central to me - Europe there are no high speed trains that I'm aware of, so travel takes bit of time. May consider the LCCs for quick flights, knowing that time will be wasted going to/form airport and for security clearance.

I'm somewhat favoring Prague, in fact going again at end of September, but have to warn you by November it gets rather chilly

While I've only visited Budapest once, I'm not a big fan. Vienna and Salsburg OTOH, I like a lot.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 3:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
1. Depends on the schedules and your planned volume of shopping
2. Doable, but hardly a good idea - you're looking at 150+ miles each way. Better cut a day from either Prague or Budapest for Vienna
3. This is even worse than #2.
4. Entirely up to you, Vienna is worth visiting, but so are your other destinations
5. Trains or rented car (useless in the cities, but helpful if you're going to explore around).

Any particular reasons except for flight routing/costs for flying into Frankfurt? Compared to the other cities you listed there is almost interesting for a tourist

Last edited by Temedar; Jul 20, 2014 at 3:50 am
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Temedar
1. Depends on the schedules and your planned volume of shopping
Almost sure to do Milan first as i'm looking for a leather jacket!

2. Doable, but hardly a good idea - you're looking at 150+ miles each way. Better cut a day from either Prague or Budapest for Vienna

I think we'll just keep to Prague and Budapest this trip. But since we're starting from Milan, do a day in Vienna on the way?
3. This is even worse than #2.
4. Entirely up to you, Vienna is worth visiting, but so are your other destinations
5. Trains or rented car (useless in the cities, but helpful if you're going to explore around).

Any particular reasons except for flight routing/costs for flying into Frankfurt? Compared to the other cities you listed there is almost interesting for a tourist
Exactly! Most unexcited about Frankfurt. But now that we'll be flying out from there (and have to fly to get there), i can actually fly out from anywhere instead!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.