Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

European SIM Card (Belgium & Netherlands or Germany or England)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Platinum / Marriott - Platinum Premier / Starwood - Platinum Preferred

I've been on a few international trips in the past few years and I've definitely used the tip of using local SIM cards to avoid paying expensive US carrier global plans. However in my recent travels I have only traveled to one country per trip (Argentina, Thailand, Colombia) so I could buy a local SIM card with little worry. Are there local SIM cards that work in multiple European countries or would I have to have a similar plan of purchasing a card for each country I visited? I'm definitely going to Belgium but not positive on the other country/countries (Netherlands, Germany, England). Also does anyone have a recommendation on which carrier to use within those countries? It may be a choice of preference (Coke vs Pepsi) but I thought I'd check just in case. Thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: AA PLT
Primarily for voice/text? Or are you going to want a fair amount of data as well?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Platinum / Marriott - Platinum Premier / Starwood - Platinum Preferred
Actually the opposite. I'm more interested in data than voice/text. I'd like to be able to check the internet, maps, send emails, etc. And I can rely on WhatsApp or Viber, etc for voice/text. Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:47 am

Doesn't answer your question, but have you looked at getting service in the US with T-Mobile? Free international data roaming, and would save you the hassle of setting up a new SIM for each country.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

That's not a terrible solution. Thanks for the information, didn't know it existed. However I am bit too close to my trip to switch carriers at this time so I don't think this is a great fit for me right now. Maybe later. Any other thoughts from anyone? Thanks.

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Doesn't answer your question, but have you looked at getting service in the US with T-Mobile? Free international data roaming, and would save you the hassle of setting up a new SIM for each country.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:15 pm

Haven't used them, but looks like Base BE offers 1GB of roaming data for €25. Roaming rates are plummeting in the EU, so it's really about finding a provider in an EU country that you can access easily and offers good roaming rates. Since you're starting in Belgium, probably easiest to just pick up a card there.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold
If you're mostly after data then you'll want to purchase local Sims in each country you visit. The roaming rates will eat through you credit fairly quick. For the Netherlands try Bliep.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ERJ_12B
If you're mostly after data then you'll want to purchase local Sims in each country you visit. The roaming rates will eat through you credit fairly quick. For the Netherlands try Bliep.
So its by country? This is what I wasn't sure about because all the countries are so close together, etc. Not sure if current plans are just for one country or a group of them. Thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The countries that make the EU is not really a single market yet for most things.... Nothing to do with distances.

Pre-paid data sim's in each country will be your best bet. That's why a decent international data plan for your current sim might be a good idea.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by airj1012
So its by country? This is what I wasn't sure about because all the countries are so close together, etc. Not sure if current plans are just for one country or a group of them. Thanks.
Any issues with the Base plan linked above?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Any issues with the Base plan linked above?
Actually that looks like a great plan. Thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: FB Gold, TK Elite, AB Gold, Sixt Plat, Hertz 5* and former many things
There are some constraints as I believe you would need a French address but I did not find anything better than Free Mobile for Europe.

EUR 19.99/month, without commitment (or 15.99 for the ones having a DSL plan with them). You get 50GB in 4G in France (20GB if on 3G), and voice and text flat rates.

But the best is: you also get a 35 day/year/country allowance with 3GB/month, flat national + to France voice & text (ie if you are in Germany you may call Germany in your plan 35 days a year, then go the NL, have again 35 days etc). The area covered is the European Union + US + Canada + Israel.
http://mobile.free.fr/ (in French only)

Otherwise you may also try the google project FI https://fi.google.com/about/ but there are many constraints (need to have a Nexus phone, request an invite etc.)
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
Hi all -

I'm heading to Belgium and Germany in a couple of weeks, and hope to pick up a SIM upon arrival at Brussels airport. I'm looking for something primarily for data but that will allow me to make some calls as well, and which can roam (data/calls) in Germany. I'll only be there for a week total, so I'm also looking for something low-cost.

Any suggestions?
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Michael
Hi all -

I'm heading to Belgium and Germany in a couple of weeks, and hope to pick up a SIM upon arrival at Brussels airport. I'm looking for something primarily for data but that will allow me to make some calls as well, and which can roam (data/calls) in Germany. I'll only be there for a week total, so I'm also looking for something low-cost.

Any suggestions?
I would focus on a data package and do any calling that you need via VoIP. I'm not sure if Lycamobile is available at BRU, but if it is that might fit your needs.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Lycamobile does operate in Belgium, so there is a very good chance that they will be available at the airport.

http://www.lycamobile.be/en/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.