Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Frankfurt/Brussels/Amsterdam (Car or Train)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PLT, SPG GLD, DL PM, National EE

I will be in these three cities over a period of 3.5 days.

Two adults traveling. It seems like a rental car is about half of what Train fare for two people would be. Is it worth using the train instead of renting a car?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: Who knows anymore. It's a f---ing pandemic.
I just did the train from Frankfurt to Brussels during the LH strike. It took about 3 hours, and google says it takes about 4 to drive it. The advantage of the train is that you can work, but don't expect to look out the window much because the scenery goes by so fast you'll make yourself sick. To be honest, I was a little nauseous when I got off the train. It's more comfortable and easier than flying, but first class was nothing spectacular. I'd use the car.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
If Germans driving fast German cars does not scare you, then go for the car. Just be aware that sections of the Autobahn you will be driving on is unrestricted, which means it's perfectly legal to drive at the limit of your cars ability. In Germany, that means speeds in excess of 200 km/h, traffic permitting.

Driving from Brussels to Amsterdam, depending on the time of day, can be a drawn out affair. Population is very dense, traffic just the same. Alright, so it's not LA and people do tend to concentrate on driving when they're driving, but you should expect quite a bit of stop-and-go, particularly around Brussels, the Antwerp ring and Rotterdam.

When driving this side of the pond keep in mind the road signs will point you towards cities, suggest you get a car with a nav. Speaking of cars, Sixt and Europcar have the nicest cars to choose from - my personal preference is Sixt as they tend to lean towards BMW, whereas Europcar is more into boring Audi's. You should also expect your rental wheels to be diesel powered, and if you've never tried that before expect to come out the other end a total convert. Also note the cars will generally speaking be with a manual box, unless you go for the large saloons. I would suggest booking a nice 3-series, probably the finest mid-size car currently available. No, scratch that, they are the nicest currently available
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PLT, SPG GLD, DL PM, National EE
So how long will the drive from FRA-BRU take and the one from BRU-AMS take. is early in the morning the best time to take off for the next city?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

Rental can be cheaper but train can be cheap too ( Bahn.de if booked early enough). And rental car = parking space = €
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Uh, did you factor in that gas is $7.00-$8.50/gallon and you are planning on driving (250+130+275 =) 655 miles? Parking will run you another $30/day at best. Each of these cities has very good public transport.

Unless you really need a car, I would very highly recommend just take the train and relax.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I'm assuming you know how to drive stick.

The drive is about 600 km (x2 as there are no one-way rentals in Europe at sane prices)

Figure 1.6€ / liter, and use this handy calculator to calculate your fuel use. (We're talking about 120-180€ in fuel for the round-trip).

The train will be an hour faster between Frankfurt and Brussels (it goes up to 300km/h on the Frankfurt-Cologne section) and at least as fast between Brussels and Amsterdam.

Based on the math above - compare it to the train tickets (which can be had for relatively cheap if bought in advance) and decided if you want to drive or take the train.

This should probably be placed in the Europe forum.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 4:18 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by AFONTANEZ
It seems like a rental car is about half of what Train fare for two people would be.
After factoring in the cost of gas, tolls and parking, I very seriously doubt that is the case.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:02 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Europe Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 8, 2014, 3:27 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
My vote is for the train. You get from the center of city A to the center of city B. You don't have to worry about parking, traffic, a flat tire (or some other accident), you can take your time and do whatever (sleep, work, even have a beer if you'd like - none of these options are available if you drive). I did the FRA-AMS RT by train and it was very nice.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by rstlsgirl
I just did the train from Frankfurt to Brussels during the LH strike. It took about 3 hours, and google says it takes about 4 to drive it. The advantage of the train is that you can work, but don't expect to look out the window much because the scenery goes by so fast you'll make yourself sick. To be honest, I was a little nauseous when I got off the train. It's more comfortable and easier than flying, but first class was nothing spectacular. I'd use the car.
Personally I have no problems looking out of the window on this trip - and I am prone to travel sickness. I would agree that Frankfurt - Cologne feels ridiculously fast though.

Personally i'd go by train. Far simpler and you should be able to find a reasonably priced ticket.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:44 am

Driving from FRA to BRU will take you around 4 hours. BRU to AMS is around 2.5 hours, all depending on traffic.

Best time to drive is either before 0600 or after 2000, e.g. outside rush hours.

If you get a diesel, and chances are very good that you will, fuel will be around 1.4E per litre. Expect a BMW 320d to burn around 6 litres per 100 km. That should see you burning roughly 36 litres, at a price of .. nah, you have a calculator yourself. Convert at your own leisure if needed
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: UA, HH
Similar question, slightly different route:

Amsterdam - Ghent - DUS airport. Family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids, 5yo and 2yo).

Right now the plan is to get a car by the time we need to leave Amsterdam - drive to Ghent to spend few days there. After that drive to DUS airport with a day stop at Eindhoven to see the family.

Counting the fact that 4 people travel, that we try to visit family by Eindhoven and would not mind a couple of side-trips, I feel that the car could be better...

Am I wrong?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:45 am

Apart from the fact EIN is not really on a direct route to DUS, go for it.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
Apart from the fact EIN is not really on a direct route to DUS, go for it.
Thanks for confirming. Just checked Google - it sure routs through Eindhoven But it's a family thing anyway - planning to get there before noon and spend at least 6-8 hours, so a little extra drive time does not matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.