Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Greece and Turkey in 1 trip?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Greece and Turkey in 1 trip?

I've been beginning to plan a trip for next year to visit Greece and, at first, I purposely left blank days so we are not too rushed and can add things as we go. Now, I'm toying with the idea of maybe spending those days and going to Turkey. Right now there are 4-5 free days, but we would only want to go to Hisarlik (Troy site) in Turkey for this particular trip. I know, I know, call me super touristy or whatever you want, but I personally think including Hisarlik along with a trip to Greece would be really interesting.
Could this extra addition of Turkey be realistic?

If it's doable, what would be the best way to go about it? Could we fly from Athens to an airport close to Hisarlik? Fly from one of the islands (Santorini, Crete, etc.)? Is Konya Airport the closest to Hisarlik?

Any and all information is helpful. It's completely just an idea at the moment.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:51 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
You may be sadly disappointed if you go to Troy. If you know anything about the history of Troy, you will know that the site has been heavily excavated without the best archaeological care. I understand your desire to see Troy, but there are so many better archaeological sites to see in Turkey. I would recommend Ephesus or Pergamos over Troy.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
You may be sadly disappointed if you go to Troy. If you know anything about the history of Troy, you will know that the site has been heavily excavated without the best archaeological care. I understand your desire to see Troy, but there are so many better archaeological sites to see in Turkey. I would recommend Ephesus or Pergamos over Troy.
Agreed. There's a great Turkish saying about Troy....."Big name, little rocks."
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by TayTay
Is Konya Airport the closest to Hisarlik?
No, in fact they're quite far apart (~800 kms).
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
If you want to combine Greece & Turkey, here's what we did a number of years ago: flew to the Greek island of Samos, ferry to Kusadasi (Ephesus), bus down to Bodrum, ferry back to Kos (Greek island) then on to Rhodes.
All the places were great and we got to see sites of 3/7 of the ancient wonders in short order. (Mausoleum of Mausoleus was in Bodrum -- not much left now)

Even though Samos & Kos aren't the most famous of islands, we really enjoyed them.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TayTay
I've been beginning to plan a trip for next year to visit Greece and, at first, I purposely left blank days so we are not too rushed and can add things as we go. Now, I'm toying with the idea of maybe spending those days and going to Turkey. Right now there are 4-5 free days, but we would only want to go to Hisarlik (Troy site) in Turkey for this particular trip. I know, I know, call me super touristy or whatever you want, but I personally think including Hisarlik along with a trip to Greece would be really interesting.
Could this extra addition of Turkey be realistic?

If it's doable, what would be the best way to go about it? Could we fly from Athens to an airport close to Hisarlik? Fly from one of the islands (Santorini, Crete, etc.)? Is Konya Airport the closest to Hisarlik?

Any and all information is helpful. It's completely just an idea at the moment.
We did a combined Greece/Turkey trip but it was about a 2 1/2 week trip. We went to Athens (including a trip to Delphi), Santorini (by plane), Istanbul, Göreme (Cappadocia), Kuşadası (including a day trip to Ephesus), and back to Istanbul.

Wonderful trip!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:46 pm
Suspended

If you want to go to Turkey from Greece specifically to visit/see Troy,you should fly to SAW,Sabia airport,not IST,and rent a car from there. SAW is on the Asian side and a couple of hours drive.You can fly to SAW with Turkish LCCs from Athens,and it is generally cheaper than IST,and a lot better for your purpose. Easy to do in 2 days,if you can find the right scedule,and not very expensive..

If on the other hand you want to go to Hisarlik in Konya provins,I recomed Konya airport :-) Hisar means a fort/castle in Turkish,so Hisarlik is a place with that,-lots of them!!!
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:18 pm
Suspended

If you want to og to Turkey specifically to visit Troy,you should fly to SAW airport,which is on the Asian side,and not IST,it is also generally cheaper,and served from Athens by turkish LCCs. From there you should rent a car,its a couple of hous drive.If you find a morning departure and a return the next day its easily done in 2 days.Car hire is not very expensive in Turkey,but gas is 10bucks a gallon.

If on the other hand Your interested in archeology and want a 5 day trip you could do this.

1 Day to Troy.
2 Day afternoon to Ayvalik to have a great fish dinner right by the sea,and say helo to my house,offcause!
3 Day,morning or early afternoon to Bergama and on to Izmir,that Depends on the amount of Raki you enjoyed with your Cunda dinner ofcs.
4.Day to Ephesus.

This is an easy trip withouth long driving days,although I do not know how one way rentals work out in Turkey. It should also be doable on public transport,by bus,i do not know how to get from Hisarlik to Ayvalik(or anywhere else for that matter),but the rest are trips of 1 to 2 hours by bus,and there are busses evry hour until quite late at night.

Returning to SAW from Izmir ADB there are flights for something like 20-30 usd.

Sorry,a bit embarasing,it would take abouth 5 hrs to drive to Hisarlik,actually pretty much the same from IST or SAW.Looked at wrong Hisarlik.From IST,I do positively know that the easiest for Canakale is a ferry from Yenikapi to Bandirma.

Last edited by geirfugl; Apr 9, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.