Wiki Posts
Search

Madrid or England?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Madrid or England?

I'm finishing up the itinerary for my ~3 week trip to Europe in March and wanted the opinion of you all regarding the last leg of my journey. I fly from Vienna to Barcelona on March 26 to watch a football match. I will probably stay until the 28th (I have already been to Barcelona). My question to you all is: should I take the train to Madrid for a couple days before flying to LHR to fly back home or fly back to London and explore more of England. I'm a huge Anglophile and have already been to London several times as well as York, Edinburgh, Glasgow and a few other places. Let me know what you think, thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by greenythebeast
I'm finishing up the itinerary for my ~3 week trip to Europe in March and wanted the opinion of you all regarding the last leg of my journey. I fly from Vienna to Barcelona on March 26 to watch a football match. I will probably stay until the 28th (I have already been to Barcelona). My question to you all is: should I take the train to Madrid for a couple days before flying to LHR to fly back home or fly back to London and explore more of England. I'm a huge Anglophile and have already been to London several times as well as York, Edinburgh, Glasgow and a few other places. Let me know what you think, thanks!
You're asking two contradictory questions! One is an apples and oranges comparison: time in Madrid or "more of England"? What do you want to do? What are you comparing? Then you say you are a "huge Anglophile", which leads me to believe the Madrid question is somewhat redundant. Perhaps you could frame your thoughts in a somewhat more coherent manner that helps others give you some advice?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:13 pm

...or fly back to London and explore more of England. I'm a huge Anglophile and have already been to London several times as well as York, Edinburgh, Glasgow and a few other places...
No comment!
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:57 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I'm clearly biased, but I would just say you could easily pack more than just Madrid with a quick stop at Zaragoza as well if you're into more cathedrals. From Madrid there are some nice short trips to Segovia, Toledo, El Escorial. Even Alcal de Henares is nice to see for an afternoon.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: bahn.bonus, FB, EB
Originally Posted by KLouis
No comment!
Well, my Oxford dictionary defines the word as a person who is fond of or greatly admires England or Britain (my emphasis).
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
You're asking two contradictory questions! One is an apples and oranges comparison: time in Madrid or "more of England"? What do you want to do? What are you comparing? Then you say you are a "huge Anglophile", which leads me to believe the Madrid question is somewhat redundant. Perhaps you could frame your thoughts in a somewhat more coherent manner that helps others give you some advice?
I guess I'm just soliciting opinions from everyone on whether or not Madrid is worth the trip I guess.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: *A Gold, IHG Rewards Diamond Amb, Radisson Gold
In general, I prefer spring in Spain and Toledo is fantastic and easy day trip from Madrid.

On the other hand, an "Anglophile" could take cheap direct lowcoster to Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Bristol or Dublin and discover a little more of England...
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Spain, the weather in the UK is not spring yet.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I'm clearly biased, but I would just say you could easily pack more than just Madrid with a quick stop at Zaragoza as well if you're into more cathedrals. From Madrid there are some nice short trips to Segovia, Toledo, El Escorial. Even Alcal de Henares is nice to see for an afternoon.
Yep, if you haven't been, Madrid is amazing. Lots to see, do, eat, drink.
Sevilla is only a couple hour high speed train as well.

Way cheaper too.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

I picked Spain, thanks for all your help people!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
I picked Spain, thanks for all your help people!
Enjoy you will have a great time. Is it Madrid? Do a bit of research on the various tapas places. Each seems to have a "go to" dish.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 1:39 pm

Mmm.....Meson del champinon near Plaza Mayor in Madrid. Good wine, mushroom tapas, fun, cozy.

http://www.mesondelchampinon.com
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, UR, IHG, HH, BA, CC
Madrid is amazing. For a really gorgeous spanish small town, take the bus (2 hours) to Salamanca. Gorgeous architecture, great food and one of the prettiest towns in Spain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.