Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Insider info about airline plans for SZZ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Insider info about airline plans for SZZ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Can anybody post a link where this (i.e. LH operating from SZY) is actually mentioned? I can't find anything on the web and, likewise, I haven't heard anything in Poland.
Same here. But when I did some researching, I found out that this airport was used for some CIA black-ops. I also found out that Czech Airlines has service from EDI to both Łodź and Rzeszów. Which is another thing that has me baffled.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
however I still think that the extensive choice offered by low-cost carriers and perhaps the lack of premium traffic is perhaps preventing big players such as LH from opening services to their respective hubs.

G
Interesting discussion.

If I have to give my 2 cents comparing to another country I know much better (Romania), for sure the abundance of low cost routes play a role. Don't even count out low cost airlines like W6 actually catering towards premium traffic!

In Romania, CLJ for example sees lots of business traffic due to booming IT, finance and transport sectors. But apart from RO and a LH feeder to MUC, it's all low cost airlines. Though if you look on the average W6 flight (to EIN for example) over half of the people on board can be considered premium traffic. As before there was only a connection to DTM, the Dutch/German business community actually lobbied to W6 to expand services, first seeing EIN be added, later CGN. And for a two hours flight, what better than a direct connection for high end traffic over changing planes at a crowded hub like AMS or FRA? Time and price on such routes still beat quality, and the added value of connections offered by a major carrier is small, as business traffic and trade is often highly concentrated towards some regions, and not scattered throughout Europe.

While I don't know the on the ground situation in Poland - it might be indeed true looking at other countries that the low cost companies are in a much better position catering for the market, even if there are a lot of high end customers!
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, NK, WN
Can anybody post a link where this (i.e. LH operating from SZY) is actually mentioned? I can't find anything on the web and, likewise, I haven't heard anything in Poland.

G
http://lubielatac.pl/newsy/15-lotnis...hium-i-krakow/

This is in Polish. TXL and KRK to be operated by a Polish airline Sprint Air. MUC most probably by Adria Airways (not LH but LH codeshare) - same as to LCJ which would be very advantageous (small airplane means one or two connections per day and not just a couple weekly). Both to be started in January 2016.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Interesting discussion.

If I have to give my 2 cents comparing to another country I know much better (Romania), for sure the abundance of low cost routes play a role. Don't even count out low cost airlines like W6 actually catering towards premium traffic!

In Romania, CLJ for example sees lots of business traffic due to booming IT, finance and transport sectors. But apart from RO and a LH feeder to MUC, it's all low cost airlines. Though if you look on the average W6 flight (to EIN for example) over half of the people on board can be considered premium traffic. As before there was only a connection to DTM, the Dutch/German business community actually lobbied to W6 to expand services, first seeing EIN be added, later CGN. And for a two hours flight, what better than a direct connection for high end traffic over changing planes at a crowded hub like AMS or FRA? Time and price on such routes still beat quality, and the added value of connections offered by a major carrier is small, as business traffic and trade is often highly concentrated towards some regions, and not scattered throughout Europe.

While I don't know the on the ground situation in Poland - it might be indeed true looking at other countries that the low cost companies are in a much better position catering for the market, even if there are a lot of high end customers!
Excellent input which could also be easily applied to the current discussion - and good insight on the current situation in Romania ^

G
Old Nov 7, 2015, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by MarcinT
http://lubielatac.pl/newsy/15-lotnis...hium-i-krakow/

This is in Polish. TXL and KRK to be operated by a Polish airline Sprint Air. MUC most probably by Adria Airways (not LH but LH codeshare) - same as to LCJ which would be very advantageous (small airplane means one or two connections per day and not just a couple weekly). Both to be started in January 2016.
Thanks (I do speak and understand Polish quite well hence the link was very helpful ). Well, we'll wait for the official announcement(s) from the airline(s) involved. I'd also not be surprised to see LO opening a daily service to the Capital (I'd use it myself to go back to Olsztyn as I haven't been for ages!).

G
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: M&M FTL
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
In Romania, CLJ for example sees lots of business traffic due to booming IT, finance and transport sectors. But apart from RO and a LH feeder to MUC, it's all low cost airlines.
To be joined by LOT in January, incidentally.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, NK, WN
I'd also not be surprised to see LO opening a daily service to the Capital (I'd use it myself to go back to Olsztyn as I haven't been for ages!).
I seriously doubt it - the S7 highway will be completed in just a couple of years which will shorten Olsztyn-Warsaw travel time to less than 2 hours. Right now it is just 3 hours by train or car. Remember the airport is about 1 hour from Olsztyn in the direction to Warsaw. It is about as close to Warsaw as LCJ and a bit closer than LUZ for which there are no plans to connect them with WAW.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:26 pm
MHG

Programs: BA, SK, Accor, Carlson Rezidor
Maybe Sprint Air (one of the few independend regional airlines in Europe and the only one left in Poland) could be a possible candidate ...
With one of their SAAB340īs (30 seats) there might be 1-2 viable routes aside from WAW.

SZZ is indeed in a quite similar situation as Rostock (RLG)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.