Wroclaw to Krakow - Driving & Rental Car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2013, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!

We will be arriving in Wroclaw and staying a few days before heading to Krakow with a stop at Auschwitz along the way.

Does anyone have any insight where we should pick-up the rental car in Wroclaw? The initial look shows availability for pick-up in Wroclaw at City Centre, the Train Station and the Airport. We will be picking up the car on a Sunday morning so that may cause issues with the City Centre pick-up. We will also be staying near the old town. We'd prefer to get the car where we can easily get out of Wroclaw and on our way to Auschwitz. I have spent too many trips in Europe trying to find my way out of the city centre.

As far as dropping the car in Krakow, is it easier to return it to the airport? We will be staying in the old town as well, and once again, don't want to be driving around trying to find the rental car office.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:57 pm

Are you dead-set on the car idea? Trains in Poland are cheap and frequent.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by SeattleSon76
Are you dead-set on the car idea? Trains in Poland are cheap and frequent.
and there is a fast bus line Wrocław - Kraków
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:49 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I've driven to Wroclaw many times and here is what I can say:

For the pickup, just pick it up where it is convenient. I don't find the Wroclaw city that confusing and I get lost driving in my home town. The A4 is a very nice highway and with the 140km/hr speed limit you should get quite quickly to Krakow. Just remember you pass on the left lane and cars coming behind you expect that you will move out of the way, so if you don't feel comfortable driving the full time 180km/hr+ then just stay in the right lane
But the road is very nice, clean, and safe.
From the Krakow dropoff, you do pass by the airport to get into the city. I don't find Krakow driving to be that difficult but I do know all the zones. There is a train that goes from the Krakow airport into the city (main train station) every 30min and takes some 20min so that is a option to get into the city.

Where are you staying in Krakow exactly? There are different parking zones around the city.

Oh, and when will you be in Krakow? We got a Krakow FT meet-up coming up Nov 29-Dec 1.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the quick and informative responses. We think the car will work best as we will have luggage with us, and wanted to see Auschwitz on the way to Krakow. We will be staying at the Venetian House on the main market square, and there will be no parking. I think we will just drop the car off at the airport, and take the train to our hotel.

We will be in Warsaw during the FT meet-up in Krakow, but we appreciate the invite! We positioned ourselves in Warsaw at the end of the trip so we could have our first Dreamliner ride home.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:36 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Very easy drive, have done it before. Only difficult bit will be driving around Krakow's old town with all those one-way streets and and no left/right turn signs.

If you haven't chosen a hotel yet in Wroclaw then you might want to give the Sofitel a look.

As for other things to see while you're there, I'd give the Wieliczka salt mine a go.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:45 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by aster
Very easy drive, have done it before. Only difficult bit will be driving around Krakow's old town with all those one-way streets and and no left/right turn signs.
As for other things to see while you're there, I'd give the Wieliczka salt mine a go.
+1 driving in Krakow and +1 to Wieliczka. Also the parking permit system in the old town makes it quite a bit more difficult to even find parking if you get into town and don't have it with your hotel (says the guy whose parking pass expires on Thursday). Be particularly aware of driving anywhere near the train station, it's not exactly well-signed for non-polish speakers about where you can and can't drive, and the police do love to camp out there to hand out on the spot fines (or straight-up bribes. Yes it happens, yes I have been caught, and yes I did get out when some dude started filming them and they got really interested in getting rid of me right away). For reference, it's the second half of ul. Kurniki, looks like this. You MUST turn right unless you're a taxi. And that's the one I know of.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

We had a wonderful time in Poland. The car rental and drive from Wroclaw to Krakow was easy, and enjoyable. Though the Granary hotel was nice in Wroclaw, I think the Monopol or Sofitel would have been a better choice. The Venetian apartment in Krakow was fantastic, and right on the square. Our only regret was we should have arrived a week later to enjoy all the Christmas markets.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 2:36 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by sonomawine
Though the Granary hotel was nice in Wroclaw, I think the Monopol or Sofitel would have been a better choice.
Sofitel all the way imo. Great jacuzzi there with a glass roof too, plus two saunas - one regular and one "steam room."

Qubus is also a decent choice as I believe it has a pool, but I have never stayed there.

The Art Hotel is another pleasant choice, literally 30 yards away from the Sofitel.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:08 am

Parking in old town Krakow

Good evening all! My hotel can arrange parking for me at 70kl per 24hrs three minutes walking distance from Aparthotel Stare Miasto. It's secured and office hours are 7am to 10pm. Any better alternatives that anyone knows of?

Overall it seems convenient and safe, but just shopping around.

Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by rfrettig
Good evening all! My hotel can arrange parking for me at 70kl per 24hrs three minutes walking distance from Aparthotel Stare Miasto. It's secured and office hours are 7am to 10pm. Any better alternatives that anyone knows of?

Overall it seems convenient and safe, but just shopping around.

Thanks!
Just my opinion, but that parking is going to be convenient for the hotel and safe, Yes. 70zł a day seems expensive to me, that's USD$18/day. That's a lot just for the ability to have a car in a very walkable city. Unless you're using it every day to travel outside, it is going to be an expensive place to not use a car.

If you park farther away, you can find better rates. I've seen 50 or less for secured parking. Problem with this being you're going off on your own, and that's a lot easier if you speak a bit of Polish and have the time. If you need to park and don't want to look too far, then I guess you pay what you pay, but it is not the cheapest option and it won't necessarily be safer than a cheaper option. Just closer.

Last edited by DJ Bitterbarn; Jul 23, 2015 at 11:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.