Wiki Posts
Search

Any Question About Turkey?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:32 am
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by orthar
Yes, when he was elected people obviously knew what they were signing up for, but as the economy improved rapidly the people were willing to live with some evils (restriction of press, people going to jail for "insulting Islam", etc.).
But it seems to finally start boiling over now, and like people don't want to wait till next election.
Ah... buyer's remorse.

Although his comment that anyone who likes alcohol is an alcoholic pretty much cost him the support of FlyerTalk.

When are these elections? Will things be cleared up by... September?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: AC, AA, Marriott Rewards, Tim Hortons
Inexpensive hotel in Gocek

We will be arriving in Dalaman around 2300 hours in a couple of weeks.

How much should a taxi be from DLM to Gocek that late?

And, any recommendations for an inexpensive hotel in Gocek for one night? The next morning we will need to take a taxi from the hotel to a marina somewhere in/near Gocek.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
I'm seeing several cheap airfares for winter travel coming from Turkish Airlines in the past week or so. What's the situation at the moment for tourists?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flamingpanties
I'm seeing several cheap airfares for winter travel coming from Turkish Airlines in the past week or so. What's the situation at the moment for tourists?
Well,yesterday most 5 star hotels adjacent to Taksim sq. were turned into first aid stations,today a hospital has been ATACKED with water canons,international journalists and doctors are arested. So,too sum it up,-Id say deffinetely better than,-say Aleppo!!
Old Jun 16, 2013, 1:50 pm

I am currently booked at the intercontinental near the taksim square for a stay in mid july. Is this hotel still "safe" or should I look for an alternative ?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by want2fly4less
I am currently booked at the intercontinental near the taksim square for a stay in mid july. Is this hotel still "safe" or should I look for an alternative ?
Definitely an alternative..

http://inthesetimes.com/article/15151/a_turkish_spring/

"After shots rang out from the nearby Ceylan Intercontinental Hotel, pandemonium ensued. "

The IC Istanbul is RIGHT at the park area. Apparently the lobby got fully "gased" last night (again) - AVOID AVOID AVOID!

Go for a hotel which is somewhere more outside.. if you absolutely have to go.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Definitely an alternative..

http://inthesetimes.com/article/15151/a_turkish_spring/

"After shots rang out from the nearby Ceylan Intercontinental Hotel, pandemonium ensued. "

The IC Istanbul is RIGHT at the park area. Apparently the lobby got fully "gased" last night (again) - AVOID AVOID AVOID!

Go for a hotel which is somewhere more outside.. if you absolutely have to go.
I LOVED Cankurtaran. So authentic, ancient and beautiful. I recommend it over Taksim.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
I'm wondering if the luxury hotel described in this Guardian article is referring to the IC, based on YuropFlyer's comment.
A luxury hotel on Taksim Square being used as an emergency refuge for victims and for the wounded was repeatedly invaded by the police and teargas fired into the enclosed spaces.
Also, this part is disconcerting:
But on Sunday Turkey's minister for European affairs, Egemen Bagis, said any civilians entering Taksim Square would be viewed as terrorists.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by pinks
I'm wondering if the luxury hotel described in this Guardian article is referring to the IC, based on YuropFlyer's comment.
No. It's not the IC. It's the Divan http://www.divan.com.tr/TR/Hotel-Des...ivan-Istanbul/

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Jun 16, 2013 at 6:37 pm Reason: Deleted extraneous sentence from prior post
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Thank you for the clarification, UAPremExecflyer.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:56 pm

I need to be around 20 hours in Istabul due to a cheap WAW-KUL ticket on TK =D ....

Thanks for the clarification. It`s simply my first situation like this. I am rebooking the hotel.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 3:23 am

Visiting Istanbul this Friday - staying for 4-5 days - how hot is it at the moment? Does it cool down in the evenings? Deciding what to pack (especially for the little one!)
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:00 am

I am in Istanbul now and it does get pretty hot. You won't need a jacket, but you will need sunglasses, sunscreen, and a hat for the little one and probably yourself.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:13 am

Thanks for that!

Something else you (or someone else) may be able to help with - was planning on taking £100 worth of Lira and £100 worth of Euros from here and then changing more money as and when I need it (I usually load most of my travel money onto a Caxton Global Travel Card).

In terms of expenses, for two adults and a baby, for lunch, dinner, snacks and other bits and pieces is approx £60 a day sufficient? This doesn't include transfers as I have those arranged separately or major shopping!
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by unknown786
Thanks for that!

Something else you (or someone else) may be able to help with - was planning on taking £100 worth of Lira and £100 worth of Euros from here and then changing more money as and when I need it (I usually load most of my travel money onto a Caxton Global Travel Card).

In terms of expenses, for two adults and a baby, for lunch, dinner, snacks and other bits and pieces is approx £60 a day sufficient? This doesn't include transfers as I have those arranged separately or major shopping!
I have an additional question : I will stay in a hotel for an "all inclusive stay". For additional expenses I would like to pay in cash. I have euros. Where should I change them ? I guess hotel will give a rip-off rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.