Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Question About Turkey?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flamingpanties
I have a question about how to deal with the people in Istanbul who constantly harass tourists to buy rugs, lamps, kebaps, evil eyes and everything being sold in the tourist districts.

The constant harassment from people selling things was the only thing I didn't like about Istanbul. The constant hard sell was far worse than the vendors anywhere I have ever been, and that includes the most touristy areas of downtown Tijuana, Mexico. I was approached at least 50-75 times a day, and it got so annoying I finally had to totally ignore the young men who kept approaching me, one after the other.

theturk, is this truly an effective sales technique? What's the best way to deal with the tourist harassment in Istanbul? The only relief I got was back at my hotel, or visiting the areas that don't cater mostly to tourists (Kadikoy).
Hello again my friend,
Actually that problem is really irritating for us too. I mean turkish citizens.
They have been using this sale tecnique for decades and the government is really lazy about it. I wouldnt go there if i were you lol!
Sorry, i dont have any idea about it. Just dont care about them, and they will go away. Or maybe you can play dead!
Old May 27, 2013, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lavedder
Where are you staying?

We are a family of 5 who will be visiting Istanbul in August. I have a hard time trying to find a nice hotel (not too expensive) in Sultanahmet or Sirkeci areas that is near a tramway station. Most of the recommended hotels have glorious reviews but I was told most of those were written by their staff. Can someone recommend a hotel that you had stayed at and liked and would go back again?
Hello lavedder,
Maybe you can give us a little information about your preferences.
Cheap or expensive? 3-4-5 stars or boutique? Or just near tramway station?
Old May 27, 2013, 6:34 pm

We want to be close to the historical (therefore touristy) sites. In addition, we want to be close to public transportation so we can get to Taksim and surrounding areas. We would like to have a hotel where the rooms are clean,quiet and rooms large enough so we can walk around and stow our luggage. We are looking for a double and a triple room in a 3+ hotel. Whenever I read reviews, I go to the terrible,poor and average reviews first. The only hotel I saw that qualified was the Seraglio hotel but it is sold out during our August week.
Old May 28, 2013, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

We want to be close to the historical (therefore touristy) sites. In addition, we want to be close to public transportation so we can get to Taksim and surrounding areas. We would like to have a hotel where the rooms are clean,quiet and rooms large enough so we can walk around and stow our luggage. We are looking for a double and a triple room in a 3+ hotel. Whenever I read reviews, I go to the terrible,poor and average reviews first. The only hotel I saw that qualified was the Seraglio hotel but it is sold out during our August week.
i will try to suggest you a few hotels. let me ask that to a few friend for you. will be back in a few days ^
Old May 28, 2013, 9:30 pm

I have a question about how to deal with the people in Istanbul who constantly harass tourists to buy rugs, lamps, kebaps, evil eyes and everything being sold in the tourist districts.

The constant harassment from people selling things was the only thing I didn't like about Istanbul. The constant hard sell was far worse than the vendors anywhere I have ever been, and that includes the most touristy areas of downtown Tijuana, Mexico. I was approached at least 50-75 times a day, and it got so annoying I finally had to totally ignore the young men who kept approaching me, one after the other.

theturk, is this truly an effective sales technique? What's the best way to deal with the tourist harassment in Istanbul? The only relief I got was back at my hotel, or visiting the areas that don't cater mostly to tourists (Kadikoy).
That's what you're suppose to do from the get go.

BTW, in my personal experience, Morocco & Egypt are worse. Tijuana is a breeze, the only thing annoying in Mexico are the time-share salesmen in the coastal resorts, and even then it's so easy to walk away from them.
Old May 29, 2013, 9:08 pm

What is the best way to stay in touch with several members wandering around in places like the Grand Bazaar? Should we bring our unlocked cell phones and get a sim card in Istanbul?
Old May 30, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto
That's what you're suppose to do from the get go.

BTW, in my personal experience, Morocco & Egypt are worse. Tijuana is a breeze, the only thing annoying in Mexico are the time-share salesmen in the coastal resorts, and even then it's so easy to walk away from them.
I'm gonna do what Turkish man recommended and pretend I'm dead. ^
Old May 31, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
Are tourists safe in Istanbul given what is finally being reported by international media? Was re: this New York Times article, the comments from the nytimes article, and also these graphic images. Or do you still view the massive use of tear gas on peaceful protesters and innocent tourists as a "little personal experience"? In your answer, it would be helpful if you could address the recent deaths that are beginning to get reported.

Last edited by pinks; May 31, 2013 at 4:22 pm
Old May 31, 2013, 4:21 pm

What has worked well for me: wearing a full-sleeved top, light pants, and a white scarf around my hair. In Turkey, it stopped men from approaching me. In Morocco, once a man tried to approach me and I told him to go away. Other men rushed to my defense, chewed the original guy out in arabic, and apologized to me.

When in doubt, don't make eye contact and pretend to not speak English. I also enjoy replying back "no" in Russian or some other random language that they likely don't speak.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinks
Are tourists safe in Istanbul given what is finally being reported by international media? Was re: this New York Times article, the comments from the nytimes article, and also these graphic images. Or do you still view the massive use of tear gas on peaceful protesters and innocent tourists as a "little personal experience"? In your answer, it would be helpful if you could address the recent deaths that are beginning to get reported.
Oh, dear violence you are here! I suggest you, dont misinform people because you are angry at me.
You started a topic days ago that there is violence in İstanbul. But protests began just a few days ago.

And yes there is intense tear gas using in Taxim for the last few days. Now I do not recommend anybody to travel to taxim for a while. ^
There is no death in these protests. People protest policies of government and the police using heavy force unnecessarily. You write like there is a civil war in Turkey.

Now please tell us:
Why do you exaggerate protests and misinform people here?
Honestly, what is your exact purpose?
Old Jun 1, 2013, 4:23 am
Original Poster

What is the best way to stay in touch with several members wandering around in places like the Grand Bazaar? Should we bring our unlocked cell phones and get a sim card in Istanbul?
You can get a simcard here and use your unlocked cellphone for about a week. Over a week, nonregistered cellphones may be out of use in Turkey. You should ask this at the gate in the airport. Maybe they have a solution that i dont know.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by theturkish
And yes there is intense tear gas using in Taxim for the last few days. Now I do not recommend anybody to travel to taxim for a while. ^
There is no death in these protests. People protest policies of government and the police using heavy force unnecessarily. You write like there is a civil war in Turkey.

Now please tell us:
Why do you exaggerate protests and misinform people here?
Honestly, what is your exact purpose?
The deaths right now are being reported by people on unofficial media and re-reported. I will let you know when I can pin down a firm source. There are several accounts of people witnessing deaths, but you are right that we should pin this down with a news cite.

My purpose here is to inform. The magnitude of these protests has recently increased, but they have been going on since the beginning of May. Although the protests have been about a variety of topics (Syria, nationalism, the park, etc.), at the root, they have been about dissatisfaction with the current government. To mock other people for reporting information in the clear presence of a media blackout is wrong.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
Originally Posted by pinks
Although the protests have been about a variety of topics (Syria, nationalism, the park, etc.), at the root, they have been about dissatisfaction with the current government.
This is the part I don't understand. Erdogan was apparently democratically elected. Why take it to the streets when he could be tossed out at election time? It's not like he declared himself President for Life as did Mubarak. Erdogan wasn't exactly hiding his religiosity. The Turkish people apparently got the government they asked for.

The protests wouldn't keep me away, but I'd stay away from Taksim Sq. I haven't seen any mention of protests in the Sultanahmet area, has anybody else?

theturkish, please keep posting. I enjoy your informational posts. ^
Old Jun 1, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks for you answer to my question. I just arrived back from three days in Istanbul. Had no idea there were demonstrations anywhere in the city.

For the person wanting a hotel near the tramway in the Old City, I stayed at a hotel about a block from the tramway. The rooms were small, but clean. Breakfast was minimal. Cost was 69 euro a night for a single room. PM me for details.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:32 pm

This is the part I don't understand. Erdogan was apparently democratically elected. Why take it to the streets when he could be tossed out at election time? It's not like he declared himself President for Life as did Mubarak. Erdogan wasn't exactly hiding his religiosity. The Turkish people apparently got the government they asked for.

The protests wouldn't keep me away, but I'd stay away from Taksim Sq. I haven't seen any mention of protests in the Sultanahmet area, has anybody else?

theturkish, please keep posting. I enjoy your informational posts. ^
Yes, when he was elected people obviously knew what they were signing up for, but as the economy improved rapidly the people were willing to live with some evils (restriction of press, people going to jail for "insulting Islam", etc.).
But it seems to finally start boiling over now, and like people don't want to wait till next election.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.