Wiki Posts
Search

AMS/Schiphol Lounges - 6 Hour Layover

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, UA, DL, WN, Marriott, Hilton, Radisson

We will be arriving into AMS from PDX on DL178 at 8:30 a.m. We will have a six hour layover until flying to BUD on KLM at 2:30 p.m. We are flying economy.

We thought about going into the city, but have been to Amsterdam before and would rather relax than feel rushed. So, I would like to buy lounge passes. However, after researching, I'm a little confused about what options are available.

Here are my understandings from research, please correct me if I'm wrong: (1) We will be flying into the non-Schengen area. (2) We will need to go to the Schengen area. (3) The KLM Lounge will not permit the purchase of day passes. (4) The Servisair lounges will only allow us to stay up to 3 hours.

So, with this information, I'm not sure whether I would choose a Schengen or non-Schengen lounge? I'm also not sure if the Menzies or Servisair lounges are worth it? Do they require an advance booking? Also, I understand that a day pass at the Sheraton spa may be an option? Has anyone done that? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
Old May 30, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
You can buy a Delta 90-day or full-year SkyClub membership that would give you access to the KLM Crown Lounge at AMS and also Delta SkyClubs. You do have to get the real card as a print out won't suffice. The KLM lounge, you can make unlimited use.
And indeed you'll be flying from the non-Schengen area.
Old May 30, 2012, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Thank you, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Unfortunately, that won't work as I am travelling in a week. Also, right now I just get day passes reimbursed through the Sky-whatever Executive Club, and so a membership isn't worth it to me at this time.

I might just buy a pass to a Menzie or Servisair lounge, load up on as many refreshments as I can and head to the Yotel. Anyone know which lounge is closest to Yotel?
Old May 30, 2012, 10:27 am

From what I've heard/read, the offerings in the Menzies/Serviceair lounge are quite limited so don't expect too much!
Old May 31, 2012, 1:02 am

I've never been to a Servisair or Menzies lounge on the Schengen side. On the non-Schengen side the two have merged and moved into the old KLM lounge which is quite a nice spacious room (I used it when it was a KLM lounge)

I used the Servisair lounge a few times in its old location (using PriorityPass) and there was no need to prebook. Facilities were nothing special, but there was the usual range of drinks, and there was some food (bread, cheese, ham and various cookies and nibbles IIRC)

There is a "rest area" with reclining chairs on the top floor of the non-Schengen side (or there was last time I looked), no free refreshments but a reasonable place to hang out for a few hours if you can't get into a lounge (or if you get kicked out after three hours). There are also public showers on the top floor of the non-Schengen side.
Old May 31, 2012, 1:47 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Unless there have been significant improvements since I last had the pleasure of the pay lounges... I really wouldn't bother. I've been there for free a few times, and ended up leaving, as they had so little to offer.

If you're going to be spending most of your time in the Yotel, I'd personally go landslide and visit the supermarket in Schiphol Plaza, if you want to load up with things to take with you (bearing in mind that non-Schengen security is at the gate, so you don't need to dispose of liquids until boarding) - you'll get much better quality and value for money.
Old May 31, 2012, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by stut
(bearing in mind that non-Schengen security is at the gate, so you don't need to dispose of liquids until boarding) - you'll get much better quality and value for money.
OP is travelling from PDX to BUD - so that's a Schengen departure (but... I think the Yotel is non-Schengen, is that right? So the advice about stocking up at the supermarket would still apply, they could take the liquids to the Yotel but couldn't take them to the gate)
Old May 31, 2012, 7:13 am

Sorry, yes, no need to clear security to get to the Yotel, but there will be a need to transfer through to the Schengen side for BUD.
Old May 31, 2012, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, that is helpful. Especially understanding that I will need to go through security when passing through to the Schengen side after going to the Yotel.

I can get my visit to a lounge fully reimbursed through Skyguide Exec., so I can always see if what they offer is adequate, and head to the store if not. Thanks!

I do have the Delta Platinum, and get half price on Delta lounges, I suppose that still won't get me into the KLM, though?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T959V Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

As a DL PM, you are allowed to use KLM lounge. Not sure about guest policy.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Good news is that you're SkyTeam Elite Plus. You can use the lounges on your trip to BUD (including in the U.S. and AMS) and bring a guest too.

Paid lounge is a North America-only nonsense.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: price is a king
Originally Posted by Dreading
We will be arriving into AMS from PDX on DL178 at 8:30 a.m. We will have a six hour layover until flying to BUD on KLM at 2:30 p.m. We are flying economy.

We thought about going into the city, but have been to Amsterdam before and would rather relax than feel rushed. So, I would like to buy lounge passes. However, after researching, I'm a little confused about what options are available.

Here are my understandings from research, please correct me if I'm wrong: (1) We will be flying into the non-Schengen area. (2) We will need to go to the Schengen area. (3) The KLM Lounge will not permit the purchase of day passes. (4) The Servisair lounges will only allow us to stay up to 3 hours.

So, with this information, I'm not sure whether I would choose a Schengen or non-Schengen lounge? I'm also not sure if the Menzies or Servisair lounges are worth it? Do they require an advance booking? Also, I understand that a day pass at the Sheraton spa may be an option? Has anyone done that? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.
hello there

for 6 hours layover I'd go and visit Amsterdam! You'll be in Schengen already, city is not further than 45 mins away from the airport. Stroll through some canals, drink some good coffee (you'll need it after TATL), enjoy refreshing breakfast and prepare for a short hop to Hungary.

For hell's sake - don't stay that long at my 3rd worst airport in Europe for 6 hours!!!

mfk
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:18 pm

Delta Platinum Medaillion or Platinum AMEX?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 2:28 am

Programs: KE MC
Originally Posted by MichalFKowalik
For hell's sake - don't stay that long at my 3rd worst airport in Europe for 6 hours!!!
Sorry to go OT but I'm curious - I'm guessing LHR, CDG, AMS in that order?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by MichalFKowalik

mfk
Genuinely curious as to why you rate it as such - I used to pretty much commute there, and always found it a pleasure to deal with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.