Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

wifi on European airlines? How about European LCCs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2011, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

simple question:

do any of the European airlines offer inflight wifi? I noticed Lufthansa does (according to their ads) but I haven't read where/what flights they are available for.

It'll be awhile before TATAL flights get inflight internet via sat as that's new technology most systems use ground based thus nothing on the water I'm debating whether I want to eventually book a flight from Berlin to Lisbon (which is almost 4 hours) or head to London but then I could watch movies, read a book and sleep but then I like the idea of inflight internet (never tried it yet!).

also I understand that some trains even have wifi but I am not sure about the long distance trains, I know that some of the SBB trains in Switzerland do but these are local trains (or regional) and besides I already priced out that it costs more to use the trains for long distance and would probably be cheaper if not the same for regional and short distance rides/flights.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by mynetdude
simple question:

do any of the European airlines offer inflight wifi?
None that I can think of, certainly for shorthaul.

I noticed Lufthansa does (according to their ads) but I haven't read where/what flights they are available for.
NB. It's longhaul, not shorthaul.

It'll be awhile before TATAL flights get inflight internet via sat as that's new technology most systems use ground based thus nothing on the water
Quite the reverse with regard to european carriers. The same reasons that live terrestrial TV is ultra rare inflight with european airlines - you pass over so many countries with shorthaul travel that the logistics - and licencing legalities would be a night mare. Domestically, flights are shorter still so there is little point/demand.

In the US, you have very long transcontinental flights that are domestic. Above the same country, so legalities are easy.

Not the case in Europe (or other continents that are not a single large country.

I'm debating whether I want to eventually book a flight from Berlin to Lisbon (which is almost 4 hours) or head to London but then I could watch movies, read a book and sleep but then I like the idea of inflight internet (never tried it yet!).
If you just want to try it, get yourself over to the USA and fly domestically, but I can't advise you which airline, as I don't go there.

also I understand that some trains even have wifi but I am not sure about the long distance trains,
Generally it is long distance trains. As the infrastructure on the coaches makes sense.

I know that some of the SBB trains in Switzerland do but these are local trains (or regional) and besides I already priced out that it costs more to use the trains for long distance and would probably be cheaper if not the same for regional and short distance rides/flights.
????
Old Oct 15, 2011, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by David-A
None that I can think of, certainly for shorthaul.

NB. It's longhaul, not shorthaul.

Quite the reverse with regard to european carriers. The same reasons that live terrestrial TV is ultra rare inflight with european airlines - you pass over so many countries with shorthaul travel that the logistics - and licencing legalities would be a night mare. Domestically, flights are shorter still so there is little point/demand.

In the US, you have very long transcontinental flights that are domestic. Above the same country, so legalities are easy.

Not the case in Europe (or other continents that are not a single large country.

If you just want to try it, get yourself over to the USA and fly domestically, but I can't advise you which airline, as I don't go there.

Generally it is long distance trains. As the infrastructure on the coaches makes sense.

????

This is the Europe forum, but yes I live in the USA so I know about live TV and wifi, what you said about licensing requriements makes sense actually.

As for your ?? A friend of mine travels on some of Swiss S-Bahns and he says some of them have wifi which is why I was not sure if long distance trains had them on the other hand I have read that some backpackers whom I follow on twitter don't seem to be aware of wifi on the trains (or they just don't talk about it?) I'm sure ultra long distance trains don't have them as I am sure some places just don't have the infrastructure.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by mynetdude
As for your ?? A friend of mine travels on some of Swiss S-Bahns and he says some of them have wifi which is why I was not sure if long distance trains had them on the other hand I have read that some backpackers whom I follow on twitter don't seem to be aware of wifi on the trains (or they just don't talk about it?) I'm sure ultra long distance trains don't have them as I am sure some places just don't have the infrastructure.
There is a European Railway section of FT, I'm sure you can get a comprehensive answer there.

However I'd point out that most railways are electrified, as a result there is plenty of trackside infrastructure along the whole length (not just signalling, but power distribuition also).

Also, some on-train wifi services make use of the mobile phone networks for service.

However, it is still only limited services that have wifi (both long distance and short comutter). But in percentage terms, I'd say it is probably more long than short. However, it is certainly still the level where you need to check specifically for it, no where near making assumptions or expectations levels.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 5:28 am

Programs: LH/LX, AY
Some SBB trains have wifi. But it is only available in 1st class and on some routes.
See here:
http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-service...-en-route.html

Last edited by spellofiron; Oct 16, 2011 at 12:36 pm
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: Miles&More, Hemköp kundkort
DY (Norwegian) have wifi on many, but not all, flights.

Also, most trains in Sweden have wifi on board. Free in first class, but you have to pay extra for it in second class.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:19 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
More and more UK rail services are gaining wifi - some via Icomera (East Coast, NXEA), some via T-Mobile (Virgin, Southern, Heathrow Express).

Several long-distance bus and coach services are getting wifi, too, and some shorter ones too (near me, the X5 Oxford-Cambridge express, the Cambridgeshire (mis-)Guided Busway and further away, the Edinburgh Airport buses).
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:09 pm

I am right now on DY from CGN to LPA and enjoy the free wifi. Latency is bad and makes browsing a bit hard, but bandwith is awesome and even allows youtube!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by kexbox
I am right now on DY from CGN to LPA and enjoy the free wifi. Latency is bad and makes browsing a bit hard, but bandwith is awesome and even allows youtube!
"Latency is bad" - indeed, this thread is from 2011!

But enjoy the flight (and wifi)...
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:06 pm
Suspended

in Austria the ÖBB Railjet and the Westbahn Train habe free Wifi.
The German ICE have Wifi to but its very expencive.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:41 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Virtually all Intercity services in the Netherlands offer free Wifi in both classes.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 2:41 pm
Suspended

and the thalys have in the 1class free wifi via sattelite.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
...but pretty much no Internet access - at least it's never worked for me in any fashion that can be described as useful.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ToGo
and the thalys have in the 1class free wifi via sattelite.
Satellite?! That seems a bit odd to me. I've seen the service offered on some buses via a cellular network (essentially there is one device tethering wifi to the entire bus). I would guess that a satellite implementation would be considerably more expensive. (It's an uninformed guess though.)
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
In Italy free wifi on both Trenitalia and Italo high speed network.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.