Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam, suggestion for a canal boat tour close to the zoo?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:07 am
Original Poster

I will be staying in what I believe is the north east part of Amsterdam closer to the zoo. Any recommendations for a canal boat tour around that area?

Thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:06 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The Canal Bus tour may be your best bet...

I haven't used it, but.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:28 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by stut
The Canal Bus tour may be your best bet...

I haven't used it, but.
I have not used them either, but that seems quite a good idea. 22 Euros for 24 hours unlimited 'canal cruising' on all 4 of their lines must be a good deal.
If you only want a 'simple one hour cruise', they mainly leave from the area in front of the central station. As Amsterdam is quite compact, that would only be a short tram ride away from Artis (which is what the zoo s called).
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: KLM, Thalys
Another option might be to use any canal cruise you like, and then take a water taxi (http://www.water-taxi.nl/watertaxi/) back to your hotel. It works just like a land taxi, so it can pick you up anywhere there is water. Unfortunately, the English part of the site doesn't seem to work now, but, if you have questions, I can try to get answers for you.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
http://canalbus.com/en/product.php?p...=21&theme_id=3

The All Amsterdam Transport Pass is a good value. 24 hours of Canal Bus rides, plus a 24hr tram/bus pass.

The clock starts on the Canal Bus pass from the time you buy your ticket, so if you want to take rides on 2 different days, make sure you don't buy them for the first trip of the day. The clock doesn't start on the bus pass until the first time you use it.

I just did this a few weeks ago, and took 2 cruises. I unfortunately didn't have time to cram rides on all 3 routes into my schedule. There's a little duplication on the tours as well. I liked the Red route the best. They share a few nuggets of information with you, but don't plan on learning a lot
Old Apr 10, 2011, 2:39 pm
R
formerly PrePress420

Canal Bus is good, esp to get around certain parts of town. Relaxing, goes by the zoo. Not really a 'tour' though. Some stuff, like there's Anne Frank house...actually stops there.
I enjoyed it because it stops near the museums and takes a lap around the centrum.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
http://canalbus.com/en/product.php?p...=21&theme_id=3

The All Amsterdam Transport Pass is a good value. 24 hours of Canal Bus rides, plus a 24hr tram/bus pass.
I also revived another thread before seeing this one so apologize for the duplication. The canal bus option looks intriguing as we have 72 hours from time we land to time we board our cruise ship.

Would they be useful as a means to get around time for non-water sightseeing activities? We could buy a 3 day pass for boat/bus rides for the main touristy sights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.