Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

what's the best place to get a good cup of coffee in Amsterdam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Obvously I don't want Starbucks, which I can get on any US
street corner.

I've never had coffee before. Growing up, we always had tea.

Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2010, 1:57 am

If you´ve never had coffee before, why are you going all the way to AMS to get one? AMS is known for coffeeshops, that specialize in totally different kind of coffee. Try one of those.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by MiddleSeatLover
Obvously I don't want Starbucks, which I can get on any US
street corner.

I've never had coffee before. Growing up, we always had tea.

Thanks!
Anywhere really. Just don't go to Starbucks, Seattle Coffee, etc. Go to any roadside cafe or even the cafe at the airport. Unless you want to try black coffee, ask for a cappuccino and enjoy it. It's hard to not find good coffee in AMS (or most European cities). Just stay away from places that look like Starbucks (nothing wrong with Starbucks, just not what OP wants).
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:55 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
MiddleSeatLover, welcome to FlyerTalk. Please follow the discussion as the thread moves to our Travel->Europe Forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:32 am

Its pretty darn hard to get a bad cup of coffee in AMS.

Any coffeeshop (sure they sell grass but its an interesting place to sit and the coffee is first rate), any cafe (sit outside and watch the comings and goings) , the Coffee Connextion, Coffee and Company.

Just a few suggestions.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:36 am

While walking around I would find the NH Schiller Hotel.(on Rembrandtplien)

Go in and have a cup while sitting in their bar/breakfast area over looking the square. Once you do that you will know why I suggested it.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:58 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Although it's touristy, the Art Nouveau/Art Deco atmosphere is great at Café Americain in the American Hotel at Leidseplein.

Café Americain
Old Aug 19, 2010, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

I said "coffee" because I wasn't sure if such talk would be allowed....

but I think you all know I really meant coffee and not coffee.

so, back to my original question, where is a recommended place to get "coffee" in Amsterdam? (some place that won't rip you off or worse... come to think of it, Starbucks also rips you off by over-charging real coffees)
Old Aug 20, 2010, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by MiddleSeatLover
I said "coffee" because I wasn't sure if such talk would be allowed....

but I think you all know I really meant coffee and not coffee.

so, back to my original question, where is a recommended place to get "coffee" in Amsterdam? (some place that won't rip you off or worse... come to think of it, Starbucks also rips you off by over-charging real coffees)
No actually I doubt anyone got what you were asking. Normally when people ask about AMS they say what they mean. Or they might say "coffee---wink wink"

Now that we have wasted time telling you what you are not interested in:

Most CS's in AMS are fine. Most seem to have their loyal followers who will tell you why their shop is better than others. Mood, price, selection, quality, music, friendliness of staff and comfort---i.e. big comfy chairs are all things some care about.

The Noon has a great and well know deal on Blueberry. 4 grams for 23 euros. Comfy seats.

Dampkering has a great selection of high quality product and great tenders who will spend time helping you. There are several around town now. Scenes from Oceans 12 were filmed here.

Grey Area is well know for very high quality.

DeKuil (aka 420 cafe) has an American/Brit type of bar vibe with good music and good product.

Amnesia is a fav for many.

Just a few of the many popular shops.

Shops in AMS may have better product at any given time but they are not know for ripping off customers.

Do a google on those names. A wealth of info should be there for you.

If you are a value or price shopper check out the Noon deal on Blueberry or just look in most shops----multi gram deals are to be found.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:27 am

Now if you do google "The Noon" the first thing you will see is a link to the Amsterdam Coffeeshop Directory.

That is a good as it gets for background and maps for the different shops.

Happy Hunting

Oh and would stay away from the BullDog. Its most likely not as bad as its rep but its a well know tourist trap with just OK service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.