Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Applying for a Schengen Visa from a foreign country???? Help!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Applying for a Schengen Visa from a foreign country???? Help!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2009, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Applying for a Schengen Visa from a foreign country???? Help!!

As a South African citizen, I will be travelling to the U.K in December on a 6 month tourist visa to meet up with my boyfriend, who is a British citizen. I plan to do much travelling whilst there.

I have never been out of South Africa, and I'm sure there is much surprise waiting for me.

We would like to travel around Europe, unfortunately we cannot plan out our trip until my arrival in the U.K as he will have to see with regards to his job. I therefor cannot apply for a Shengen Visa as I cannot give an itinerary just yet.

Will it be possible to apply once in the U.K? How difficult will this be??
How do I go about doing this the right way??

TIA for any advice....
Old Oct 26, 2009, 6:40 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Welcome to FT, melfunction.

As far as I know, the UK-based embassies of Schengen states will only accept visa applications if you have a residence permit for the UK - a tourist visa won't be accepted.

However, as I've never needed to apply for such a visa, I don't have any direct experience, so will leave others to expand.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 7:05 am

Hi melfunction and welcome to FlyerTalk. FlyerTalk can be is a large and confusing place, particularly to begin with, and it can sometimes be difficult to know where to ask your question. To keep the confusion to a minimum, we ask that questions are only asked in one place. The other place you've asked this question, the Europe forum, is I think a slightly better place than here in the UK forum, so I'll move this over there where it can be merged so all the answers are only in one place. Enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 26, 2009, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Wingnut
... where it can be merged so all the answers are only in one place. Enjoy your trip!
which I have done. enjoy your trip and .... welcome to Flyertalk

regards,

chrissxb
europe forum
Old Oct 26, 2009, 8:19 am

Hi, and welcome to Flyertalk.

I found this on the web site of the German Embassy:

ONLY applications from residents in the UK can be accepted.
This is only one embassy out of many, but I wouldn't be surprised if others had similar rules.

I don't believe you need a detailed itinerary to get a visa... but even if you do there is no law against changing your itinerary once you have a visa. If you have a rough idea of when you're going to be travelling then you should be able to get a visa before you leave South Africa; if you need proof of accommodation you could make a few flexible hotel reservations (i.e., of the type where you don't pay anything if you cancel), or get letters of invitation from friends
Old Oct 26, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Maybe it is a good idea to cross-check with the embassies of the Schengen Countries in South Africa and apply there for a tourist visa. I do not know of any rule that requires you to enter the Schengen area directly from South Africa.

6 Months might get problematic. From the web page of the German Embassy in South Africa:

A Schengen Visa entitles the holder to an accumulated stay of up to 90 days within a period of six months for 25 European Countries! These 25 European Countries are: Germany, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland (Schengen Area). Only one visa enables you to travel to all said countries. You have to submit your application for a Schengen Visa to the representative of the country which - considering the main purpose of your intended stay - is your main destination. This usually means that you have to apply at the Embassy or Consulate of the country where you are going to spend most of your time. If no such main destination can be ascertained, please contact the representative of the country of your first entry into the Schengen States.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
Maybe it is a good idea to cross-check with the embassies of the Schengen Countries in South Africa and apply there for a tourist visa. I do not know of any rule that requires you to enter the Schengen area directly from South Africa
I believe the OP's issue was not the point of entry, but the fact that she isn't sure when she is going or where she is going to. Embassies usually want more detailed information of a proposed stay before they will issue a visa.

6 Months might get problematic.
No "might" about it. Schengen visas are issued for no more than three months at a time. p.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
6 Months might get problematic.
No "might" about it. Schengen visas are issued for no more than three months at a time. p.
I think the 6 months referred to the time away, mostly spent in the UK, with one or more side trips to continental Europe. The UK normally gives leave to enter for 6 months for tourists.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
To the best of my information you cannot apply for Schengen from the UK if you are not resident in the UK (student, work permit, etc).

So apply from South Africa. Book fully flexible Eurostar train tickets and book a hotel night or two. submit this as evidence of your itinerary. As soona s you have your visa cancel your bookings. Make sure all your bookings are 100% refundable.

This is the practical step a lot of people take when in your position.

One other thing. The country you apply to for visa must be the first country you enter.

Good luck.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 2:31 pm

No "might" about it. Schengen visas are issued for no more than three months at a time.
Um no. I have had multi-year validity Schengen visas issued by the Germans, French and Dutch in the past decade.

The only "3 month" restriction on the Class C Schengen visa is that it restricts the holder to no more than 90 days presence in the Schengen states during any rolling 180 day period.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by jahason
The country you apply to for visa must be the first country you enter.
Another urban myth.

A vast majority of visa nationals entering the Schengen area do so at a major air hub such as AMS, FRA, CDG, MAD, etc... and then connect onwards to their final destinations.

One should apply to the country of PRIMARY DESTINATION for a Schengen visa, and not the point of FIRST ENTRY, which in many cases will differ simply due to air travel logistics. Only if one has no PRIMARY DESTINATION does the FIRST DESTINATION (different from FIRST ENTRY) become relevant.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B
One should apply to the country of PRIMARY DESTINATION for a Schengen visa, and not the point of FIRST ENTRY, which in many cases will differ simply due to air travel logistics. Only if one has no PRIMARY DESTINATION does the FIRST DESTINATION (different from FIRST ENTRY) become relevant.
And it's a "should", not a "must". And it is recognised that people's plans can change between the time of application and the time of travel.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:13 am

And it's a "should", not a "must". And it is recognised that people's plans can change between the time of application and the time of travel.
This is the grey area where sometimes people get away with it and increasingly often they do not. Over the last 6-8 months, we have seen a substantial increase in "third party Schengen" visa holders being denied entry and returned to origin due to inability to provide proof or intent of onward travel to the country of original visa issuance.

South African document holders of certain demographics (young, caucasian or coloured, limited travel record, no long term employment) are considered extremely high risk at this time and they will be subjected to a much higher standard of scrutiny of intent at Schengen gateways, even as valid visa holders.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:17 am
rbg

Same situation as melfunction

Hi melfunction, I know it has been a few years since this post, but I am in almost the same situation as you (I am in the UK already and need to go to Europe for a student conference). Please can you mention what you ended up doing?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rbg
Hi melfunction, I know it has been a few years since this post, but I am in almost the same situation as you (I am in the UK already and need to go to Europe for a student conference). Please can you mention what you ended up doing?
An Indian relative of mine went from the U.S. to the UK to do a Master's or Phd in the UK and had a UK visa for a student. She submitted her Indian passport to the relevant Schengen countries to get Schengen visas while there. Her visiting friends from other developing countries requiring a visa for the UK and Schengen countries applied for their Schengen visas while visiting in the UK; and most of them got their Schengen visas while some were refused.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.