Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

LOL at AUH check-in when I asked about a last minute AUH-JFK buy-up to The Residence

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LOL at AUH check-in when I asked about a last minute AUH-JFK buy-up to The Residence

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by akalra1187
Apartments are normally priced, Residence is overpriced.
I guess I'm too price sensitive for the Residence ($21K for an upgrade? LOL) as I have yet to try the service, but if I'm paying for F with miles or cash, I still think AF and LH offer a much better F experience than the ME3. Granted I've not been to the new QR F lounge yet, but the ground handling especially with EK for F, e.g. a bus transfer, is ridiculous at that price point and greatly diminishes the F experience.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I guess I'm too price sensitive for the Residence ($21K for an upgrade? LOL) as I have yet to try the service, but if I'm paying for F with miles or cash, I still think AF and LH offer a much better F experience than the ME3. Granted I've not been to the new QR F lounge yet, but the ground handling especially with EK for F, e.g. a bus transfer, is ridiculous at that price point and greatly diminishes the F experience.
No, EY and EK F is definitely miles better than LH F, AF F has better food but the seat is no comparison to EY or EK.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:49 am
Suspended

Oh and it's highly unlikely that you have to be bussed in DXB T3, EKs home airport (as it seems you're talking about the car transfers LH provides at FRA). Most if not all planes are docked at the gate and most gates board directly from the lounge even in J.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
It's been about two years since I've been 'subjected' to EK F, so if they have done away with the bus transfers, that's certainly a certainly service improvement. Still, I've just not been impressed with EK or EY such that I'm going to shell out $21K for an upgrade. The word I would use for AF's la Premiere service is elegant. I would hesitate to apply the same adjective to EK/EY...
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
No, EY and EK F is definitely miles better than LH F, AF F has better food but the seat is no comparison to EY or EK.
You clearly have not flown Air France La Première in the last couple of years if ever. Except for EY A380 Apartment, the new Air France 77W F suite is the best F product in the sky. And the entire Air France experience blows away EY, EK or any other airline for that matter. Air France has mastered the art of service from the moment you arrive at the airport to the moment to you depart at your destination with a Personal Assistant each step of the way. At CDG, you are met at the plane and driven in a private car to the La Première lounge (with Alain Ducasse menu), and then back to any connecting flight.
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
You clearly have not flown Air France La Première in the last couple of years if ever. Except for EY A380 Apartment, the new Air France 77W F suite is the best F product in the sky. And the entire Air France experience blows away EY, EK or any other airline for that matter. Air France has mastered the art of service from the moment you arrive at the airport to the moment to you depart at your destination with a Personal Assistant each step of the way. At CDG, you are met at the plane and driven in a private car to the La Première lounge (with Alain Ducasse menu), and then back to any connecting flight.
I have seen reviews of AF F, including yours, and it does look very nice. I last flew it around 8 years ago. So yes I stand corrected, but LH?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:28 pm

It's been about two years since I've been 'subjected' to EK F, so if they have done away with the bus transfers, that's certainly a certainly service improvement.
They haven't.

Only Concourse A guarantees boarding from the lounge, but that can still mean boarding a bus. Concourse B is a lottery as to whether you board from the lounge and Concourse C is never.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
La Premiere aside, my flighs always connect via AUH to London albeit I add the sector to reduce the fare on EY.

Air France in J is half the price of EY DXB - LHR return 4500AED ..... I am pleasantly surprised !
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
The issue they could face however if they decided to discount this on the day to a rate that would appeal to people is they loose the people willing to actually pay ahead for it, the may decide to risk leaving it until the day to book.

Also the ultra rich, ie the ones who do book it probably would not like to hear that others book it for less and thus will be less interested in paying more for it and thus they get even less actual bookings.

Products this high end have a limited market and that market can easily be lost if the product is mis advertised / marketed.

The final thing is by not allowing a cheap upgrade 5 hours in advance it keeps it available for that unlikely last minute booking, although again the people actually paying for this product are quite likely last minute change of plans kind of people.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:13 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun

The final thing is by not allowing a cheap upgrade 5 hours in advance it keeps it available for that unlikely last minute booking, although again the people actually paying for this product are quite likely last minute change of plans kind of people.
Lol yes very unlikely indeed. The first time I flew in the apartment was a few days after the EY A380 entered service on the AUH-LHR route. I asked to see the residence after boarding and the FA said, yes sir its not currently booked, but someone might book it before boarding completes! Obviously it went out empty.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:02 pm

LH, EY

I've flown EY F multiple times and the only thing I can say about it is "inconsistent". Sometimes it's been great, but many times it has been mediocre to bad. Sometimes the crews just don't work well together, sometimes they just don't care, and sometimes when the F cabin is full the personalized service, while it sounds good, just takes way too long. I can't tell you how many times I've flown IAD-AUH/ and it's taken nearly 3 hours in F to be finished with dinner. that's just too long. My last IAD-AUH F trip was excellent and I was happy with it. B?ut my AUH-IAD F just before that was awful. Bad, uncoordinated and sloppy service. I like the seat and such, but if the service is bad forget about it. Don't get me wrong - EY F can be good, but it's very inconsistent. So I almost never walk on board knowing what I'm going to get.

I way prefer LH F. Honestly, it's elegant, the flight attendants just know how to tailor the service/ attention levels exactly right, and I've enjoyed the food. Sure, there might not be the bling and the suites that EY offers, but honestly, it's elegant, comfortable, and I feel at home. And I love the F Lounge in Concourse B and the LH F Terminal at FRA - who doesn't love a Porsche to the plane? And it's been consistent. and that means a lot to me.

Never tried AF F but it does look fabulous.

I have seen reviews of AF F, including yours, and it does look very nice. I last flew it around 8 years ago. So yes I stand corrected, but LH?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.