Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading 787 Biz to First - AUH-IAD

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Global Mercenary
Upgrading 787 Biz to First - AUH-IAD

Is it worth it to upgrade from business studio to first on the 787? I got an email requesting a bid - minimum is around 1000$ (which seems like it wont be accepted). I've never flown on the 787 and the first suites don't look a whole lot better than business. If it were a380, at least the products would be sufficiently better.

What do you guys think? doesn't seem too great a deal to me. Does anyone have experience in bidding at check in?
Old May 18, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vj_rama
Is it worth it to upgrade from business studio to first on the 787? I got an email requesting a bid - minimum is around 1000$ (which seems like it wont be accepted). I've never flown on the 787 and the first suites don't look a whole lot better than business. If it were a380, at least the products would be sufficiently better.

What do you guys think? doesn't seem too great a deal to me. Does anyone have experience in bidding at check in?
Soft product in F between the a380 and the 787 are not very different if at all. Both have the "onboard chef".

The suites are quite spacious, but depending on your specific situation, it may or may not be worth it. I know that doesn't answer your question but I have been in your dilemma before (albeit with miles) and I was glad I upgraded as the suites were quite a bit more spacious than the business studios on the 787. Food was great too. I would/would not spend $1000 depending on my situation at that point in time (personal vs business, how much I spent on original ticket, sleep vs no sleep, etc)
Old May 19, 2017, 1:33 am

I have used the 787 F suites a couple of time from upgrades, I would rather buy me an expensive gifts at the airport or at home instead of forking $1000 specially if you already flying in business, I am about to hop in a 787 tonight and business will be more than enough for me.

if you are flying alone you might get one of the window suites, but if flying with someone the middle seats can be merged and have a private ( you can see a bit through the holes of the sliding doors or above them as the are about 1/5 meter) space for two.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Global Mercenary
Originally Posted by LoungeBum
I have used the 787 F suites a couple of time from upgrades, I would rather buy me an expensive gifts at the airport or at home instead of forking $1000 specially if you already flying in business, I am about to hop in a 787 tonight and business will be more than enough for me.

if you are flying alone you might get one of the window suites, but if flying with someone the middle seats can be merged and have a private ( you can see a bit through the holes of the sliding doors or above them as the are about 1/5 meter) space for two.
Thanks for the comments. That is also my feeling - would rather take the 1000$ and have fun some other way.

Anyone ever have any luck on getting a cheap upgrade at the airport during check in?
Old May 20, 2017, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by vj_rama
Thanks for the comments. That is also my feeling - would rather take the 1000$ and have fun some other way.

Anyone ever have any luck on getting a cheap upgrade at the airport during check in?
I am platinum and I have got it twice on the same reservation, sadly they didn't upgrade me in my last trip...
Old May 22, 2017, 4:47 am

I wouldn't pay $1000 if you're already in J. I don't think I would pay it even for the Apartments.

I would, however, happily pay $1000 to get out of Y for a 12+ hour flight if I somehow found myself in that situation.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:09 pm

ULH in F over J, yes.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
The answer, in my eyes, is as simple as are you comfortable in the Business Studio seat? (I am), because if you are $1000 will buy you a very nice meal out, and that's better enjoyed in a restaurant than on the plane.
EY first don't even have Caviar or that good a Champagne.
I have gone for F on the 380 and even on the 777 to AUH-DEL because it was part of the same ticket from London, and yes the shower and space is nice (A380 Apartment not on the 787). The enhanced meal service and F lounge in AUH add to the experience. Of late I've enough to upgrade most of my 380 sectors with miles, and I find that fair. $1000 would be another matter. Yes, I've paid for F tickets (more than $1000 more than J) in the past, but would I still do so after seeing that the Business Studio seat is pretty comfortable as it is. Not really, and its not just question of the money really its more to do with the fact that they have taken so many things out of the F service (caviar, full tasting menu in AUH lounge, cocktails in F lounges worldwide) that I wouldn't feel bad going in J.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: Virgin Velocity
787 J is perfect!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.