Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Electronic Ban on Flights from Mid East - Lifted 2 July 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBOSman
As of at least 2 July 2017, Etihad flights departing from Abu Dhabi Airport (AUH) bound for the United States of America, for which passengers pass through USA Preclearance undergo security screening sufficient to allow all electronics to be taken on board. The electronic ban from the UAE on flights to the USA no longer applies for these EY flights using Preclearance. Per an email sent out from Etihad on 2 July:

Dear (name),

If you are planning to travel to the US in the near future, we wanted to let you know that you can now take all your electronic devices on board our US flights from Abu Dhabi.

The US Immigration facility at Abu Dhabi Airport not only enables you to clear US immigration before you fly to the US, but with the additional security checks in place, you can now take all your electronic devices safely on board with you.

Book now and fly to over 100 destinations across the US, stress-free.
Also see: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-02/u-s-approves-laptops-on-flights-from-abu-dhabi-etihad-says

Old info:

The electronic ban for flights directly to the US from AUH is documented many places including:

http://www.etihad.com/en-us/announcements/usa-flights-electronic-device-ban/

For premium cabin passengers, free Wi-Fi and ipads available:

http://www.etihad.com/en-us/info/us-free-wifi/

EY encourages passengers to pack all of the devices that are banned by the US in-cabin at your origin point in your checked bags before getting to AUH. If you decide to hold your laptop until US Pre-Clearance at AUH, here is what happens (as of 4/2/2017):

-Arrive from connecting flight (if not AUH start)
-Go through security (usually isolated to bus passengers ("19x" gate). Everything allowed (laptop/liquids okay).

-Go to US Pre-Clearance section at end of Terminal 3, boarding pass visually checked to enter area.
-Enter line for document check (EY/AUH staff) including those flagged for extra screening by US government (various reasons). Even if your boarding pass did not indicate the secondary screening flag, they will check paper lists again. Boarding pass will also be scanned to check (similar to domestic flights TSA boarding pass scan with beeps).

-Go through screening designed for US passengers. Liquid and semi-liquid quantities checked and pulled out of bags, laptops turned on, all electronic gear and accessories must come out of bags and placed on tray, all passengers remove shoes (including children)
-At this point, laptop will be flagged as "Not Allowed" after the x-ray machine. Staff was not polite about this aspect. I take it in stride and say okay, show me the special area to check the machine. No need to justify why you have it or anything.
-UAE Security/Police will hold your passport and walk with you to a special area for "gate-checking prohibited cabin items"
-An airline agent will put your laptop (which can be in a small cover or neoprene-like skin-type case or zip cover) in a plastic bag and seal it in front of you. Normal-sized laptop bag is too big I think. No chargers or any accessories should be in this process I think either.
-An airline agent will generate another bag tag and place your portion on the boarding pass and place the longer slip on top of the bag seal. Essentially, if any entity tries to open/access your laptop, the seal cannot be placed back without evidence of tampering. This does not help any damage issues, but should preclude unknown tamper by any entity while it is outside of your personal control. Physically, the laptops are stacked together into a cardboard box for each flight (could be one or more boxes depending on quantity per flight) with fragile labeling (loaded last into the plane and loaded off the plane first is the story). There are some not so big padded envelopes if needed (too small for a normal sized laptop I think) which might be used for some devices.
-At this point, you will get your passport back to continue the process (still have not reached US customs or immigration).
-On you go to the US pre-clearance land (Global Entry, APC scanner machines, etc.)
-After this process, you come back up to the US flight departure area.
-Board ULH flight. On board, I saw FA with ipad (not sure if personal or company), but otherwise cabin was dark for the long journey (with only e-box in use). I did not have visibility to premium cabin devices.
-Upon arrival of ULH flight. Even if you are told at AUH that your laptop will be available at the gate or some imaginary "transfer area", I don't see this happening ever and the staff at AUH doesn't really know how the US airports are designed.
-At LAX, I went through the usual maze at TBIT (through ticketing floor, get free luggage carts, go down elevator, come back inside the special single crowded belt for bags). I walked directly to the front of the bags output point where an agent had the boxes with laptops. I show my boarding pass with the attached sticker and she checks the laptops she has to match the tag ID and gives me my still sealed laptop clear plastic bag. I had put it in a small plastic case so it was easier for me to know it was mine without even opening the tamper bag at the airport.

If you were a transit passenger in the US (sadly yet another flight you have to take to get to your destination), I am confident you need to go the same baggage claim area (exit air-side), get your laptop then re-enter via TSA for your next flight.

Plan for 10 to 15 extra minutes to do the laptop check process.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)

Details on ban on electronics on flights to the US will be announced on Tuesday that will potentially effect 12 Mid East and North African airlines. This article mentions that Etihad will probably be one of them.

I have travel plans scheduled in the summer, and this would be a bummer!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7640591.html
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I've seen EY listed but I have also seen a mention that locations with Pre clearance won't be included. Hopefully we get some clarity from the US gov tomorrow. Surprised nothing official has come out yet.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:51 am

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/21/news...ner/index.html

AUH is included.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:56 am

Just checked my insurance policy. My laptop is not covered if it's checked in the hold. This seems to be the norm with the other 2 companies I phoned today.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
BBC seems to concur
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39333424
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Scheduled to fly back from Sri Lanka to JFK on Etihad this weekend, we have a ton of electronics (laptops, iPads, DSLR camera, point and shoot, GoPro, iPod, etc....the list goes on) and I am confident that checking these items would mean that something gets broken/stolen...

What a PITA....
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:04 am

Flights to London are included as well apparently.
Bye bye Apartments, sorry, it was good, but no more
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by jmgriffin
Scheduled to fly back from Sri Lanka to JFK on Etihad this weekend, we have a ton of electronics (laptops, iPads, DSLR camera, point and shoot, GoPro, iPod, etc....the list goes on) and I am confident that checking these items would mean that something gets broken/stolen...

What a PITA....
It's even worse for you as you must check all those things in Sri Lanka.
Good luck not having them stolen with a connection etc
There is no way I would check my camera and lenses...
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Flights to London are included as well apparently.
Bye bye Apartments, sorry, it was good, but no more
Not from Abu Dhabi. "Only" flights to US.

See details of U.K. version of the ban in the wiki in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...lights-uk.html
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:42 pm

Curious what this means to flying with drones as i dont think you can check in loose batteries
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by mike84k
Curious what this means to flying with drones as i dont think you can check in loose batteries
Good point, I also have a drone with me so I have no idea what I'll do when flying Etihad home this weekend.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:52 pm

EY just posted this ;
USA flights electronic device ban

Following a directive from U.S. authorities affecting selected airports, Etihad Airways has been advised that guests travelling to the United States from Abu Dhabi International Airport are not permitted to carry electronic devices larger than a cell phone or smart phone in the cabin.

Mobile phones and medical devices are permitted but larger items such as laptops, tablets, cameras and e-readers will need to be placed into checked-in baggage. For those guests bound for the U.S., this must be done at the point of origin which may not necessarily be at Abu Dhabi International Airport. The new rules come into effect for those US-bound flights departing Abu Dhabi on 25th March.

Safety and security remain the highest priority for Etihad Airways and we will continue to assist passengers in complying with this directive. Further information will be available on our website at etihad.com.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Well, looks like award availability in premium cabins are about to get much more plentiful...
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: United 1K, American EP, Etihad Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
So - I've talked to someone directly at Etihad. Here's the deal. Power packs (portable batteries) will not be allowed in US-bound carry on if it is larger than the UK phone dimensions (16cm by 9.3cm by 1.5cm.). These power packs will also not be allowed in checked luggage - so - you can just throw them out or give them to someone, because they are not going back to the USA. This also goes for ANY loose lithium batteries (ie. extra batteries for cameras, etc.). If the power pack fits inside of these dimensions, then it WILL be allowed on the plane.

Regarding laptops / all other electronics larger than the UK dimensions - if you are connecting, they are going to tell people to check them in at the origin point - BUT - I've heard they will have special boxes that will allow them to be gate-checked. This means theoretically you could take it on the first flight, use it in the AUH lounge, then check it after you go through the AUH US security - but they said they won't be telling people about this as they want to limit how many bags they will gate-check.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by maah117
So - I've talked to someone directly at Etihad. Here's the deal. Power packs (portable batteries) will not be allowed in US-bound carry on if it is larger than the UK phone dimensions (16cm by 9.3cm by 1.5cm.). These power packs will also not be allowed in checked luggage - so - you can just throw them out or give them to someone, because they are not going back to the USA. This also goes for ANY loose lithium batteries (ie. extra batteries for cameras, etc.). If the power pack fits inside of these dimensions, then it WILL be allowed on the plane.

Regarding laptops / all other electronics larger than the UK dimensions - if you are connecting, they are going to tell people to check them in at the origin point - BUT - I've heard they will have special boxes that will allow them to be gate-checked. This means theoretically you could take it on the first flight, use it in the AUH lounge, then check it after you go through the AUH US security - but they said they won't be telling people about this as they want to limit how many bags they will gate-check.
Crap, looks like I'll be changing my flight from Etihad to a different airline. Thanks for the info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.