Wiki Posts
Search

WiFi Speeds onboard

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: EY Plat, Accor Plat
WiFi Speeds onboard

Hi guys, while i see many online reviews (mainly glowing) on how fast the etihad WiFi experience is.. what is there real world performance? can anyone comment on throughout or the ability to send pictures etc?

Ive had many times on Emirates where, while extremely affordable, its extremely slow or unusable. Is Etihad much better?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:44 am

I've found EY's wifi to be perfectly usable.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by kelix
Hi guys, while i see many online reviews (mainly glowing) on how fast the etihad WiFi experience is.. what is there real world performance? can anyone comment on throughout or the ability to send pictures etc?

Ive had many times on Emirates where, while extremely affordable, its extremely slow or unusable. Is Etihad much better?
Its always been fine for me. the last few flights I used it for making a few voice over IP calls. Here is my speed test I got in August. Name:  EYSPEED.PNG
Views: 2005
Size:  846.5 KB
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
My colleague played an online game on his laptop the whole way from DFW to AUH last week and the same on the way back.

He did admit to feeling guilty for all of the other passengers whose experience he probably screwed up ! Though his game worked throughout
Old Nov 30, 2016, 2:29 pm

I could not do VoIP. I even went via vpn but no dice.

In any case, I think it's a quote about singing dogs: "it's not how well they sing, it's that they sing at all". Onboard internet is the same way in 2016.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
Internet browsing was totally fine even videos via YouTube did work after a few seconds "preload".
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:26 am
Original Poster

sounds like its quite quick! thanks all.

has anyone logged in with Boingo credentials? apparently its a WiFi partner.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:19 pm

sounds like its quite quick! thanks all.

has anyone logged in with Boingo credentials? apparently its a WiFi partner.
I did not tried that, I guess it wont be free... But I will try next Thursday and let you know.

The speeds and price for the long flights I found acceptable. I think 21$ for the whole flight...
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoungeBum
I did not tried that, I guess it wont be free... But I will try next Thursday and let you know.

The speeds and price for the long flights I found acceptable. I think 21$ for the whole flight...
Cheers mate! that would be great if you could find it (perhaps take a screenshot during the login so we can all find it. If it works some of the Boingo unlimited plans would be very attractive for those who fly etihad a lot.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: OWE, *A-G, EY Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5847812559

I find it to be patchy at times, but then again I get it for free, so am not going to argue too much.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flying_fozzy
http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5847812559

I find it to be patchy at times, but then again I get it for free, so am not going to argue too much.
are you using a partner to get it for free or is work paying for it?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I was able to do a video Skype call in September on EY MEL - AUH wifi, clear as a bell.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:11 am

Cheers mate! that would be great if you could find it (perhaps take a screenshot during the login so we can all find it. If it works some of the Boingo unlimited plans would be very attractive for those who fly etihad a lot.
Quick update on Boingo, I was able to reach the log In section and the message is:
This is a premium hotspot for all boingo plans. (In bold) simply log in to your Boingo account and accept the fee of 0.18 Euro per minute of Wi-Fi at this location.

So 11 Hours of flight will be about 118.8 Euros or $21 for the whole flight if you pay with your credit card...

For a quick connection to check something I will say is a great option, but then again 2 Hours are $11.95 and 4 Hours are $17.95

I will try to upload the photos later on.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 2:45 am
Original Poster

I guess my plan includes unlimited and isn't linked to the payment option you mentioned hope thats the case
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:09 am

I was flying EK F a few days ago and was longing for the EY wifi; it took nearly 2 hours to download 20 emails, none with any attachments. It's the hope that kills you and having Internet and knowing it may sometimes work actually felt worse than not having it at all. With EY I've found it to be consistently very good, with similar thoughts as to the above posters, including even watching Netflix on board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.