Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1st time with Etihad? Some questions

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 4:31 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I have used KLM/Lufthansa/AF from Manchester and fly via Amsterdam/Frankfurt or Paris without the need to go via London and would imagine it is the same from north of the border
Old May 19, 2016, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amnicoll
I have used KLM/Lufthansa/AF from Manchester and fly via Amsterdam/Frankfurt or Paris without the need to go via London and would imagine it is the same from north of the border
Yes, we're trying to avoid going to MAN (LHR and LGW). This involves an hour extra travel each way and if chaffeur drive was available it would involve paying a hefty supplement. GLA or EDI it will be for us with no English airports!
Old May 19, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I was not suggesting you fly via an english airport simply saying that you could use these airlines from Edinburgh via their respective hubs

If Chaffeur is a must then you only have two options
Old May 19, 2016, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amnicoll
I was not suggesting you fly via an english airport simply saying that you could use these airlines from Edinburgh via their respective hubs

If Chaffeur is a must then you only have two options
Yes it's a straight choice between EK from GLA or EY from EDI given our requirements.

As you say other airlines can do Scottish airport to continental hub and onwards eg KLM code share with EY so they do KLM flight GLA-AMS-AUH then EY AUH-MEL; presumably no chaffeur pickup for the KLM flight so pointless for us; the fare is very similar to EY anyway.
Old May 19, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by OzTennis
Yes it's a straight choice between EK from GLA or EY from EDI given our requirements.

As you say other airlines can do Scottish airport to continental hub and onwards eg KLM code share with EY so they do KLM flight GLA-AMS-AUH then EY AUH-MEL; presumably no chaffeur pickup for the KLM flight so pointless for us; the fare is very similar to EY anyway.
I think the point was scottich airport to continental and onward on a continental airline, e.g. GLA-FRA-SIN-MEL (not sure if LH has routes to Australia but I'd guess it's something like that)
Old May 20, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by OzTennis
Apologies in advance as I know all my questions will have been answered before but I'm too lazy to trawl through all the threads to get the answers
I think you're correct on all fronts there.

Seems like a bit of a no brainer to me. Do you want crappy angle flat seats in a 2-3-2 configuration, or lie flat in 1-2-1?
Old May 21, 2016, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I think the point was scottich airport to continental and onward on a continental airline, e.g. GLA-FRA-SIN-MEL (not sure if LH has routes to Australia but I'd guess it's something like that)
Yes, understood! For us it is a straight choice between EK and EY and I was hoping to elicit sufficient information on EY to make a choice. Other airlines don't suit for various reasons, most notably that they start off with no chaffeur pickup, a lengthy pickup which would incur extra charges, what is essentially a domestic flight to the continent or another UK airport or too many plane changes and too lengthy a journey.
Old May 21, 2016, 4:21 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Personally, I think the cabin service on EY and EK in J is similar - can be very good, can be very formulaic.

I prefer EY hard product to EK, less 'bling'.

I prefer EY lounges to EK - again, less bling and contrary to others - I am not a fan of the J or F barn at DXB.

Compared to many other airlines - they are streets ahead, either will transport you in comfort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.