Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Not a pleasant experience due to tickets booked via credit card@Etihad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not a pleasant experience due to tickets booked via credit card@Etihad

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
I have been asked three times by EY in MAN. But never in the last two or three years. All bookings in the email clearly stated that I had to have original CC with me at time of checkin. It also stated this at the time of booking. For me, there was no excuse not to take it. I don't know if they still make this clear in the email conformation or not.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: Emirates, Lufthansa, KLM, BA
Talking

Originally Posted by irishguy28
That would not be necessary. You could contact your local Etihad office at the time of the incident, or keep the cover letter provided with the replacement card, or to keep the old card.
Actually in my case I did provide a letter from the bank stating why my card needed replaced, wasn't good enough for Emirates and they kept referring me to their website and the statement that I should have the original card with me. What swung things in my favour, eventually, was that both myself and the bank pointed out that to carry a card that had been fraudulently used and then replaced with a new card was in effect another form of fraud. Well that and having Emirates feature in a national newspaper and national TV consumer programme on their ethics........
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
This is very common on international carriers, particularly in Asia. I've been asked several times, especially when I was ex-India and paying with a US-based credit card. For sure with TK, TG, SQ and CX. May have been others. And your situation is why it is a good idea to make sure you read what the carrier sends you.

Singapore actually has an FAQ on this on their website about it, which says (source: http://www.singaporeair.com/faqCateg...estion-32577):

When you use your credit/debit card on our website, our fraud detection tool uses several types of information in your booking – such as the amount charged, your point of departure and destinations. A sophisticated algorithm determines the risk level of your payment transaction. If the risk level of your booking is high – for instance, if the charge exceeds a certain amount in your local currency – you’ll be required to verify your credit/debit card in person, as well as provide photo identification. This verification process protects you against credit/debit card fraud and ensures your security as you use your credit/debit card on our website.
In fact, in every case I have been asked, it has been travel for me, booked with my own credit card. I know my sister-in-law had to go into an EK office to verify when she booked travel for her parents (so they didn't have to show it at check in).

For your other questions, unless you were watching the other EY pax check in, how did you know you were the only one asked. Possible - sure. Likely, probably not. As mentioned, booking through a travel agency will ensure you never need to show the card, as the TA is responsible for ensuring the carrier gets paid. If you couldn't get the card, yes, they would have likely not allowed you to travel, or could have forced you to buy a walk-up ticket.

In the US, carriers here tend not to verify anymore - I haven't seen this in years. Though several years ago, probably 10+, United did sometimes require this, and included a message in red on the e-ticket that noted you had to either show the card used for purchase at check-in, or present it at a ticket office prior to travel.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by tangey
I'm sure I'm not alone in the FT community in changing credit/charge cards regularly. Given that bookings are often many many months ahead of time, it is quite possible that the card that was used to pay for a flight had been cancelled long before the date of the flight.
I agree, and I've fallen foul of this myself with EK. However, the issue was addressed and rectified long before I got to the airport and was potentially denied boarding.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: EY Platinum
This happened to me with a credit card that I'd lost in between booking the tickets and flying. In the end I had to buy last minute, full fare tickets as they simply wouldn't budge. And this was in Abu Dhabi.
Old May 1, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
This is one of the oddest "rules" ever, I think. I'm sure it's something to do with fraud, but it's just counter-intuitive. If the card you booked with expires before your flight and you don't want to renew it, what's the result then? Bring the expired card with you? It makes no sense to me.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
No CC in Japan

Had my wallet stolen along with the cc I used to book an ANA flight.

However the replacement card, plus my Japanese driver's license, was enough to get the OK. Took about 3 minutes to get things cleared up.

As long is the ticket is in the name of the same same as the card, and there is a matching passport, I don't see how fraud is all that likely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.