Search

Etihad invite to join ASMALLWORLD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2016, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+ Platinum / OWE
Etihad invite to join ASMALLWORLD

Received today an invite from Etihad to join ASMALLWORLD:

"You belong to a special group of guests who we're pleased to invite to join ASMALLWORLD, the leading invitation-only lifestyle network.

Until 31 May 2016, you will receive 2,250 Etihad Guest Miles when you join.

Plus, you will meet like minded members when travelling, be able to attend over 2,000 exclusive events and benefit from a large selection of privilege partners."

Does anyone have any experience about this "scam" -network?

Have a look for example these sites and the discussion about ASMALLWORLD!
https://www.quora.com/Is-it-worth-it...or-asmallworld
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASmallWorld

Recently, ASMALLWORLD has been the subject of controversy for failing to provide the goods and services promised, engaging in gender discrimination and eliminating members without good cause.

Is there any reason to join? What the real benefits are? Membership fee 110 USD/year.

Last edited by finhub; Mar 5, 2016 at 5:18 am Reason: Added membership fee
Old Mar 5, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
I also got it and took it to be advertising junk - which is where it wound up, in the junk folder.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Air Berlin Gold, Etihad Silver (bad move)
Just got it and it sounds completely obnoxious.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:20 am

It's not a scam. Has been around for a while and does provide some good benefits for travelers.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
It's not a scam. Has been around for a while and does provide some good benefits for travelers.
erik123, any real examples what are those "good benefits"?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 10:19 am

Why don't you google it? one example = EY Silver.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
Why don't you google it? one example = EY Silver.
Etihad advertises ASW and encourage people to pay 110USD without even bothering to let them know what the real benefits are and what people will be paying for?!
I assume Etihad is only sending ASW invites to members who already have some status on EY. So EY silver would not be an benefit in this case.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by finhub
Etihad advertises ASW and encourage people to pay 110USD without even bothering to let them know what the real benefits are and what people will be paying for?!
I assume Etihad is only sending ASW invites to members who already have some status on EY. So EY silver would not be an benefit in this case.
My partner got it, and has no EY status.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 11:50 am
Original Poster

I see, so it was just general spam to all members
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:26 pm

I spent a while today trying to google for what these benefits could be which is what brought me to this thread/forum. Very bizarre that a paid site offers "some benefits" yet won't admit upfront what they are. As a gold member, silver is no use to me...
Old Mar 5, 2016, 4:55 pm
Ljj

Silver status

I also got this email today. I'm already a silver status etihad member but will pass the link onto my husband so he can join me in the lounge $105 is a great price to fast track to silver. I would just like confirmation that it is that simple? Less than favorable reviews when googled and need to cancel before auto payment next year. What other benefits are there currently? Many searches are from 2013, what advantages/perks in 2016?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 10:12 pm

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by Ljj
What other benefits are there currently? Many searches are from 2013, what advantages/perks in 2016?
+1. I'd be very interested to know also. In the past, they offered Cathay Pacific MPC Silver status. But I've seen one report that this is no longer the case.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 4:44 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Ljj
I'm already a silver status etihad member but will pass the link onto my husband so he can join me in the lounge $105 is a great price to fast track to silver. I would just like confirmation that it is that simple?
Same here, I'd love to get confirmation on this.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:21 am
p78
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver, Aegan Gold, Hilton Diamond
I got email also, but its hard to even know any benefit....spent 105USD to get this info is crazy
Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:51 pm

I belonged to ASMALLWORLD about 10 years ago. Then, it was invitation only, no fee, and was made up of young-ish (20's and 30's) supposedly "in the know" people from all over the world, with a large concentration in NYC. We were invited by a NYC promoter friend of ours. And since it was invitation only, everyone was a friend of a friend of a friend. IIRC, they limited who you could connect with so that you wouldn't get random messages from people outside your circle of friends of friends of friends.

It connected you to other like-minded people around the globe, many of whom enjoyed parties and traveling. So you could find a connection who had an apartment in Paris that you could stay in when they weren't there, or see who might be headed to Rio for Carnival and meet up with them, find out the latest hot spot in Mozambique or see who's trying to open a bar/lounge in Dhaka. Sort of like a less formal linkedin for the party set.

This was mostly before Facebook became so popular, before airbnb, etc. We used the site for a while and it was worthwhile and you did get the inside scoop on a lot of things, but haven't in the last 5+ years, and not sure of the value/exclusivity if Etihad is now sending out email invitations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.