Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

early a.m. dep. AUH-USA: J menu questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Would anyone have a menu for 2am-4am departures from AUH to North America?

If not, what I want to know is, is the menu arranged in terms of dinner - snacks - breakfast in spite of the departure time? If not, what's in it?

If I want to go to sleep, I know EY is dine-on-demand and I can tell them I will eat when I wake up, but is it advisable/acceptable to select my preferred first-meal items and ask them to save these for me?

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Oct 1, 2015 at 12:35 pm
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:39 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I do not know about the menu but it is both advisable/acceptable to select your preferred meal items and ask them to save these for you - I have done it myself more than once
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Save entrees?

I only do that United or Delta

You can if you want.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
10/26 EY 103 in J.

Menu was (from memory, so sorry if I get this slightly wrong):

Appetizers
  • Mezze
  • Chicken Terrine
  • Tomato Basil Soup

Entrees
  • Filet (beef)
  • Salmon over pasta
  • Chicken
  • A vegetarian dish

Other food
  • Cereal
  • Beef sandwich
  • Scrambled Eggs
  • Fruit and Yogurt
  • Something I had never heard of/have no idea what it was

And the usual assortment of snacks (chips, etc.)

Everyone manages their flight a bit differently. Usually when I start from the Mid-East I force myself to eat dinner at the beginning of the flight and then I try and sleep for 6 - 8 hours. Wake-up, have breakfast, and I'm that much closer to resetting to US time zone.

While EY's "dine on demand" is great in theory, especially given the wonky departure times and that half the plane has originated in a different time zone, I found the execution to be seriously flawed and it creates almost constant light and noise in the cabin. While it didn't help that I had absolutely horrible FAs, for both meals, I waited over 2 hours from ordering to actually being presented food (which on a flight like this is painful). I had the chicken terrine appetizer and it was straight out of the blast chiller. Crunchy with ice, etc.

Things like getting water refilled (which is important when you're spending so much time flying) took an act of Congress, multiple requests, and more than once was met with an eye roll. There seems to be no organization from a service standpoint. And while the seats next to the windows are great for sleeping and privacy you almost have an invisibility cloak on. The FAs really don't want to provide service and it's very easy for them to not see you as they walk through the aisle with their eyes down, trying to avoid eye contact.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I have to say that I have never in Business been disturbed by others being served when I am trying to sleep or rest. I think the anytime dine is a great idea and I usually order what I want at the start even if I am going to eat it much later just to ensure it is not sold out

I would say you have been unlucky 2 hours to get served from take off perhaps if you are unlucky at the wrong end of the service. generally all my FAs have been good to excellent. Every now and then slow response to call button but to be honest usually happy to get up and stretch my legs but having to ask for the same thing multiple times is certainly not the norm.

I wonder if Etihad are dumbing down the service to match their American competitors on this route following the complaints of unfair competition?

Yes a bit defensive but for the flip see comments elsewhere on Etihads failings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.