Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Flight change has me leaving on connection flight before I land

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat

Have a trip booked DUB-AUH-SYD-BNE-AUH-DUB in the New Year, had a number of minor changes to flight times i.e. 10 minutes, and the changes have been notified via email and txt, but the latest one has me a little concerned, on the return leg I land at AUH at 06:25 and was due to connect to DUB at 09:00, the DUB flight has now been changed to 02:20 the same day, 4 hours before I land!

I can see that this flight may well be changed to the next day but we don't really want a 20hr layover, nor do we want to leave BNE a day earlier.

My booking currently show two flights out of DUB (the 10 minutes change) plus the two flights back to Dublin at 02:20 and 09:00, so I am expecting further changes.

Any advice before I contact them, would it be reasonable to request the last leg be changed to MAN?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
There are 2 flights from AUH to DUB every day; currently they leave at 02:20 and 09:30.

It sounds like, perhaps, they have cancelled the 09:30 flight that day. I would check this first - make yourself 100% certain that the flight is not operating that day [as a first step, see if you can select the 09:00/09:30 flight from AUH to DUB on the date in question by doing a dummy booking on the Etihad website] - and if it is operating, ring up immediately and demand to be put back on that flight.

If you ring Etihad, they must either a) rebook you according to your wishes, or b) refund you in full [regardless of whether the flight was originally booked in a refundable class]

As to whether you can be rebooked to MAN - there is no harm in asking.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:24 am

Dublin-Abu Dhabi being reduced to 12 weekly from 1st December and then reduced further to 7 weekly from 10th January.

Could this be why your times have changed?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Cheers folks, the flight is in Feb so fall foul of the reduction it would seem, looks like it will be a phone call, wish me luck!

The flights were booked with the quadruple points promotion, I can see some further issues down the line.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:55 am
Original Poster

A quick update, had a pleasant phone call with Etihad and my AUH-DUB flight changed to MAN.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by delta154
Dublin-Abu Dhabi being reduced to 12 weekly from 1st December and then reduced further to 7 weekly from 10th January.

Could this be why your times have changed?
This is rather big news; and Etihad has not apparently announced it. It's not been mentioned in the Irish media and doesn't seem to feature on the usual airline routes changes websites.

Do you have any further info? Such as when an increase in frequencies may be expected, or why this has been done?

Perhaps the second daily service from Dublin that Emirates announced before Etihad did - though EY scrambled to introduce their second daily first - has hurt them. I've not been on EY from Dublin since late last year but the flights always seemed full and they regularly hailed Dublin as one of their busiest routes.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by irishguy28
This is rather big news; and Etihad has not apparently announced it. It's not been mentioned in the Irish media and doesn't seem to feature on the usual airline routes changes websites.

Do you have any further info? Such as when an increase in frequencies may be expected, or why this has been done?
Have a look here:

http://airlineroute.net/2015/08/20/ey-w15update1/
Old Aug 24, 2015, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the link ^
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, EY Silver, EK Gold, MPC - Green
Originally Posted by moeman982
Have a trip booked DUB-AUH-SYD-BNE-AUH-DUB in the New Year, had a number of minor changes to flight times i.e. 10 minutes, and the changes have been notified via email and txt, but the latest one has me a little concerned, on the return leg I land at AUH at 06:25 and was due to connect to DUB at 09:00, the DUB flight has now been changed to 02:20 the same day, 4 hours before I land!

I can see that this flight may well be changed to the next day but we don't really want a 20hr layover, nor do we want to leave BNE a day earlier.

My booking currently show two flights out of DUB (the 10 minutes change) plus the two flights back to Dublin at 02:20 and 09:00, so I am expecting further changes.

Any advice before I contact them, would it be reasonable to request the last leg be changed to MAN?
I've had them change times on my AMS-AUH flights three times now. Last time they ruined my connection from LHR so I had to re-book that. Now they have changed almost back to the original Departure time.

I have never had so many changes in flight times. These will be my last EY flights as I need predictability.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why didn't you book from LHR? APD?

You'll miss out on the lounge experience...

I find it's usually best to leave the repositioning til almost the last minute. On a busy route like LHR-AMS you gain little from booking so far in advance anyway...
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Why didn't you book from LHR? APD?

You'll miss out on the lounge experience...

I find it's usually best to leave the repositioning til almost the last minute. On a busy route like LHR-AMS you gain little from booking so far in advance anyway...
Yes lesson learned on the positioning flight. It was £800 cheaper in J from AMS-MNL so a big saving.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Simon Cuckoo
Yes lesson learned on the positioning flight. It was £800 cheaper in J from AMS-MNL so a big saving.
So they just changed it again.
Anyone know what rights I have in terms of changed times. Do I have the right to cancel my ticket for a refund (on a non-ref ticket)? I can't think its very fair to constantly change peoples tickets without some recourse.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Well thought I had better update our Etihad experience, had an pleasant outbound flight via Dublin, can recommend the hop across the Irish Sea.

Just checked in for our return from BNE, we had ignored the email invitation to upgrade (£650 was the minimum bid) to be handed a free upgrade to First for our 14 hr flight back to AUH.

So far our ex DUB flights have proved to be a real bargain (now to see what points we end up with)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.