Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Etihad guest

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by h1ghfly3r
Do I understand correctly that only EY guests will face changes whereas partner airlines will keep their award charts for ey unchanged?
As far as I know, partner airlines do not have separate "award charts for EY". Each partner sets its own rules for awards; even before this devaulation, the miles charged by EY for a certain route was not the same as the miles charged by a partner for the same route.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Sorry Etihad. This is an enhancement too far... Stabbing loyal customers in the front. I will be taking my monthly business class trips elsewhere, likely QR or EK.

Bye

Grantosol
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
hi

so a bit confused dublin to sydney is way over 6000 miles.

Using miles for GuestSeats

The number of Etihad Guest Miles required for a GuestSeat in Business Class will not change on sectors over 6,000 miles, although they will increase on all other sectors.

Before the changes the miles required are 288k and after 336k

how does that make sense? The key word is probably sectors but that means that every business class redemption ex dublin has gone up because the first leg is less than 6000 miles????? is that right? So every redemption in business to or via AUH from Europe/far east increases ??
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Luftihad777
Okay now I'm freaking out a bit. I have 100,000 odd miles in the bank and I'd like to use them asap. So if I buy a Breaking Deals fare before July 8, with departure in August/September/October, I can use my miles to upgrade to business? Will the old redemption apply to this or the new one?
Be careful - Breaking deals (all T class fares) are not an upgradable fare type even under the current process.

I made a huge mistake with my July and November travel plans with this.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: QF Plat, KL Plat, TK Gold, WY Gold, Bonvoy Tit
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The mileage calculator for flights booked after July 8 is here. But I am not entirely sure that it is showing results which are much different than the pre-8 July calculator here...so proceed with caution.
proceed with super-caution because it seems your browser remembers when you go into "post july 8" mode and won't revert. so if you need to see both to compare, you need to open 2 different browsers or erase your cache.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
Originally Posted by EFATO
proceed with super-caution because it seems your browser remembers when you go into "post july 8" mode and won't revert. so if you need to see both to compare, you need to open 2 different browsers or erase your cache.
yep had two browsers open...
Old Jun 3, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest, BA Blue, AMEX Gold
Can't find any info on earning Tier miles/status. I'm assuming that is unchanged? I really like the fact that you earn full Tier miles on EY regardless of economy fare class as opposed to EK, where you earn them based on fare class. Makes it easier to earn status on EY. but if that changes as well, I might change loyalties
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:15 pm

I've always been on the fence when choosing my long haul flight options. Below was the reason why I continued to fly with Etihad for many years:

Positives

1. Great loyalty programme
2. Good cabin service
3. Some innovative offerings (though sometimes poorly executed)

Negatives
1. Involves a transit in AUH (as opposed to direct with BA or other carriers - I'm based in London)
2. Messy and inconvenient connection at AUH
3. Higher price
4. Poorer ground service as opposed to legacy carriers

Despite some obvious negatives, I stuck to Etihad and the pain of going through AUH because the thing I value most was the Etihad Guest Programme. It was one of the best around. Safe to say with a devaluation this significant, I'm officially looking to spend my hard earned money elsewhere.

Surely if you want to devalue your programme Etihad should:

1. go through some form of consultation process with your most loyal frequent fliers (though won't affect anything I guess)
2. Make sure the new AUH is operating successfully for at least a year (current AUH is nothing like DOH / DXB!
3. Improve ground service
4. Ensure they have no direct competition with other carriers in their region (AUH is competing directly with DOH/DXB on the transit market, whereas BA can easily rely on the London market which is huge anyway)

Enough said, Good luck keeping your most loyal customers
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by irish mark
hi

so a bit confused dublin to sydney is way over 6000 miles.

Using miles for GuestSeats

The number of Etihad Guest Miles required for a GuestSeat in Business Class will not change on sectors over 6,000 miles, although they will increase on all other sectors.

Before the changes the miles required are 288k and after 336k

how does that make sense? The key word is probably sectors but that means that every business class redemption ex dublin has gone up because the first leg is less than 6000 miles????? is that right? So every redemption in business to or via AUH from Europe/far east increases ??
You answered your own question. Sector = flight segment.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:19 pm
Company Representative, Etihad

Originally Posted by Luftihad777
Can't find any info on earning Tier miles/status. I'm assuming that is unchanged? I really like the fact that you earn full Tier miles on EY regardless of economy fare class as opposed to EK, where you earn them based on fare class. Makes it easier to earn status on EY. but if that changes as well, I might change loyalties
Hi there, we can confirm you that the our policy concerning the Tier miles status has not been affected.
Thanks *FT
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by EtihadHelp
Hi there, we can confirm you that the our policy concerning the Tier miles status has not been affected.
Thanks *FT
That is the only positive message in this thread so far. I am wondering if we will receive our miles from the double/triple promotions before the new rules start in July. It probably will be even more difficult to get them after the devaluation
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: QF Plat, KL Plat, TK Gold, WY Gold, Bonvoy Tit
Originally Posted by EtihadHelp
Thanks *FT
Lovely. So I can continue to earn 250,000 status miles per year but not be able to upgrade anymore. EXACTLY what will motivate me to move those excess 150,000 miles (210,000 if I decide to downgrade to Gold - I mean, what does Plat give me anyway, promises of a First Class lounge that doesn't exist and a 25% accrual bonus that I can't spend on upgrades) to EK, QR and GF, keeping Gold on ALL and cherry-picking the best fares from each on each trip.

Brilliant strategy, EY, you've just lost 50% of my business (and I'll STILL be Plat at the end of the day).

Last edited by EFATO; Jun 3, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by h1ghfly3r
That is the only positive message in this thread so far. I am wondering if we will receive our miles from the double/triple promotions before the new rules start in July. It probably will be even more difficult to get them after the devaluation
Hey,

If you have finished your flight and miles haven't been credited. Please let us know your booking reference and Etihad Guest number by PM or send it to [email protected]. We will follow it up.

Thanks. *JS
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I feel massively let down by Etihad, I moved 130000 Amex reward points on Tuesday to take advantage of the 25% bonus offered & on Wednesday received the devaluation news.

I now have 162k points that are now of no use as the 2x25k points from our MBNA cards will not post before 8th July and I am not in a position to book 2 F flights LHR-AUH-LHR before that date & then the redemption rates soar. We both really wanted to try the apartments on the 380, but that will no longer happen

I have been told I cannot return the points to Amex, so I am stuck with doing a 'waster' flight in J so as not to loose the points.

So, thank you Etihad you have right royally shafted me (and I thought BA's 'enhancement's' were bad)
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by antipest
I feel massively let down by Etihad, I moved 130000 Amex reward points on Tuesday to take advantage of the 25% bonus offered & on Wednesday received the devaluation news.

I now have 162k points that are now of no use as the 2x25k points from our MBNA cards will not post before 8th July and I am not in a position to book 2 F flights LHR-AUH-LHR before that date & then the redemption rates soar. We both really wanted to try the apartments on the 380, but that will no longer happen

I have been told I cannot return the points to Amex, so I am stuck with doing a 'waster' flight in J so as not to loose the points.

So, thank you Etihad you have right royally shafted me (and I thought BA's 'enhancement's' were bad)
Dear Guest,

We are sorry to hear about your disappointment.

Can we have your Etihad Guest account by DM or you may send to [email protected] so we can for it to the relevant team for further discussion.

Thank you and Best Regards. *JS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.