Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alcohol in AUH lounge in Ramadan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:37 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Sitting in the EY Business Lounge in AUH right now.

Sign says: Alcoholic beverages will be available between 19:00 and 03:00. The buffet is open, though, and they serve coffee, water, soft drinks.

Super annoying that Muslim rites are imposed upon me, a non-Muslim (and I am not even sure that there is actually any consistent religious rule behind this).
Don't transit a middle eastern country then, with that attitude I don't think you'd be missed.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Don't transit a middle eastern country then, with that attitude I don't think you'd be missed.
Don't put them all in the same basket please!

EK is the most liberal - alcohol all day if you want.

EY, well, we've seen it here.. semi-liberal, if you want to call it that..

QR doesn't serve any drinks at all during all of Ramadan..

TK doesn't give a damn about Ramadan either ^

Honestly, the whole "fasting" thing wouldn't be so bad if they would allow themselves to be kept hydrated with water during the day, and NOT eating like crazy in the evening/early morning but just two regular meals. The body could perfectly use such a month break. The way it is right now celebrated is just crazy and doesn't have any use at all but to punish people actually following it.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:45 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer

Honestly, the whole "fasting" thing wouldn't be so bad if they would allow themselves to be kept hydrated with water during the day, and NOT eating like crazy in the evening/early morning but just two regular meals. The body could perfectly use such a month break. The way it is right now celebrated is just crazy and doesn't have any use at all but to punish people actually following it.
I'm sure Muslims around the World appreciate your assessment...
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I'm sure Muslims around the World appreciate your assessment...
I know enough people who identify themselves as Muslims but don't fast on Ramadan because they know of the terrible effects and put real life over religion.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:48 am

I know enough people who identify themselves as Muslims but don't fast on Ramadan because they know of the terrible effects and put real life over religion.
Let's not get into a spat over religion, or the merits and demerit of fasting.

The point is to accept other cultures and that you are a visitor in their country (even airside in the airport) and you may disagree but one shouldn't judge.

I am not a Muslim but my understanding of Ramadan is to empathize with those not as well-off, to celebrate one's family and appreciate one's successes. I think that is something that one can easily respect and it takes a certain kind of person to go around complaining about a minor inconvenience as a result. If one can't handle a few daylight hours without alcohol (not specifically YuropFlyer or CalFlyer... similar names, are you related?), though, I suspect there may more serious issues to consider.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:00 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Indeed!
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:02 am

Well, I still find it interesting that two airlines (EY and EK) from the same Muslim country that are probably both transporting a majority of non-Muslim travelers deal with the matter differently, if EK is really keeping up its normal lounge service throughout Ramadan (I have not used EK this Ramadan yet, but I think i remember it from last year).

For aspiring world carriers I find the apparent EK approach more appropriate, leaving it to each traveler what they do about their Ramadan behavior. I dislike any kind of imposed restrictions, esp. if it is for religious reasons.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:05 am

If one can't handle a few daylight hours without alcohol (not specifically YuropFlyer or CalFlyer... similar names, are you related?), though, I suspect there may more serious issues to consider.
Aha. Where do i say I cannot handle it? Suspicious if some people immediately go into character judgments ...
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Aha. Where do i say I cannot handle it? Suspicious if some people immediately go into character judgments ...
You saw the word "not"? Since I was responding to you I wanted to clarify that this was a general point not specific to you.

not specifically YuropFlyer or CalFlyer
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Nice touch !

But I reckon that feeling is more and more mutual.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:31 am

I am not a Muslim but my understanding of Ramadan is to empathize with those not as well-off, to celebrate one's family and appreciate one's successes. I think that is something that one can easily respect and it takes a certain kind of person to go around complaining about a minor inconvenience as a result.
That was the ORIGINAL intention of Ramadan. Right now, it's "we drive off at 6pm, totally pissed by low blood sugar, in our luxury SUV giving a damn about traffic laws, to a super buffet, where we stuff our faces at buffets easily costing 100$+ with food that poor people never could afford. Then we stuff ourselves again just before the sun rises. This is not just unhealthy, this is totally AGAINST the original idea of Ramadan.

Now, you can agree or not with me about the "not drinking water during the day" part. But apart from that, if you indeed used Ramadan as it was intended, you wouldn't actually gain weight (and losing a lot of muscles) during it (like in reality all those in the UAE do who "celebrate" it..)

If you actually just ate modest at sunset and at sunrise, your body would quickly get used to that, and after a few days, you would indeed feel better and not have those pains that the "twice a day stuff your face" people get..

If you want to celebrate Ramadan in true spirit, then do it. But don't eat huge buffets of luxury food that no poor man ever could afford.

If one can't handle a few daylight hours without alcohol (not specifically YuropFlyer or CalFlyer... similar names, are you related?), though, I suspect there may more serious issues to consider.
As for me, I was talking about not drinking water in general (the lounge part aside) - not alcohol - during the day. I'm still missing the part where that would somehow help to be a better person..

But it's kinda silly if you serve alcohol during the (day) flight, and then upon landing at 5pm you're refused..
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I worked in Egypt back in the 80's and this reminds me of my first Ramadan.

Was playing golf out by the pyramids, and walking from the 18th green to the clubhouse I noticed that everyone was drinking 7 up. As I went up to the bar the guy in front put 2 empty 7 up bottles on the bar and said 2 more please Mohamed. I looked over the bar and saw that the barman had a large ice cold bottle of beer and was pouring it into the 7 up bottles using a funnel.

I'll have 2 as well please.

Happy days
Old Jun 11, 2016, 9:56 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador

TK doesn't give a damn about Ramadan either ^
Correct - normal levels of food and booze in the lounge and on board.

Flying to EZE right now using complimentary (for these in C) wifi on board.

BTW I was under the impression that Ramadan rules are exempt for those who travel, anyway.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
Correct - normal levels of food and booze in the lounge and on board.

Flying to EZE right now using complimentary (for these in C) wifi on board.

BTW I was under the impression that Ramadan rules are exempt for those who travel, anyway.
Alcohol is not a Ramadan rule, and all the ME3 serve food during the day.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 1:16 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
So will the EY F lounge have food on my visit tomorrow dining style or will it most likely be a buffet ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.