Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Blocking for Gold in Economy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold, TK Gold
Seat Blocking for Gold in Economy

I've got my first flight upcoming being EY Gold and 3 days prior to departure the seat next to me suddenly shows up as being blocked on expertflyer...

Does EY block adjacent seats in economy for Golds as LH does for their SENs?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by birsti
I've got my first flight upcoming being EY Gold and 3 days prior to departure the seat next to me suddenly shows up as being blocked on expertflyer...

Does EY block adjacent seats in economy for Golds as LH does for their SENs?
Yes, but it all depends on the flight load.

Sadly sometimes these blocked seats get assigned in the airport during check-in
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:31 am

EY is very good at blocking seats. On night flights they have actually "emptied" rows of three or four adjacent seats for me (a Gold Elite). Very proactive service.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:18 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
In theory, the blocking of seats works but in reality, based on my experiences, it doesn't. On a couple of AUH MCT flights, I had someone sitting next to me even when there were a few empty seats elsewhere on the plane. I mentioned my Gold Elite status to the stewardess but she was clueless. She had no idea about the policy. Luckily, it was only a short flight so I decided to grin and bear it. I guess it all depends on the crew members.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: All of Them
they blocked seat next to me for NRT-AUH red-eye and it was much appreciated.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:03 pm

Is this still "policy"?
And does it actually happen in reality?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by italian7
Is this still "policy"?
And does it actually happen in reality?
When asking whether the seat next to mine can be blocked at check in/lounge, I always get "We can try, but it's no guarantee".

However, I've had a seat next to me free on my last 10? flights on 50-80% full flights, and received Op-UP on 2/2 oversold flights in Y. YMMV of course.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:26 am

Seat blocking privileges have been going downwards in recent years. Nowadays, I do not think they even try.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Seat blocking privileges have been going downwards in recent years. Nowadays, I do not think they even try.
a few years ago the hotline was able to block the seats. Nowadays I always make sure they block them at the airport. Nevertheless, I do always check in the lounge or at the gate if the seat is still empty and make sure I get assigned to another seat in case it is occupied by someone else.

I just don't get why they do not keep it as a benefit to their frequent flyer. It costs nothing and does increase customer satisfaction!

I have been quite lucky with upgrades recently. Got 6/8 upgrades all to and from Frankfurt to Bangkok and back.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:05 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I was reading that sometime they can block entire rows?

Best strategy is at check-in or calling in advance?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:40 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by italian7
Thanks for the replies.

I was reading that sometime they can block entire rows?

Best strategy is at check-in or calling in advance?
I doubt they can physically block entire rows per se. However on a recent flight from SYD-AUH with a colleague (VA Gold), we asked at Check-in whether it was a lightly loaded flight (50%) - and then whether it was possible to get a row each. They said that they would try their best.

We managed to get a row of 3 each (Row 77 and 78) on board.

So I guess they do try, but I don't know if they can actually block of seats - rather, try their best not to have have them assigned.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: Etihad Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Originally Posted by h1ghfly3r

I have been quite lucky with upgrades recently. Got 6/8 upgrades all to and from Frankfurt to Bangkok and back.
Any tricks on the upgrades? I'm 0-11 on upgrades since reaching Platinum last year...
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MusicMan216
Any tricks on the upgrades? I'm 0-11 on upgrades since reaching Platinum last year...
before I got all those upgrades I had a 1/10 ratio. I guess I just have been lucky.

i have the feeling that planes with a first class (a333&789) will upgrade more as the economy class is smaller compared to others.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: Etihad Gold
My experience is that you need to ask at check-in or in the lounge, sooner rather than later. On one occasion I was greeted by a crew member on board and offered a free row further to the front.

My upgrade ratio is around 6/14 for the last year, one of which was Y to F.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:38 am

Any thoughts on whether having EY Gold number or AZ FA Plus (equivalent to Platinum) number in the booking is better for upgrade chances?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.