Wiki Posts
Search

Using guest miles for a family trip?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Using guest miles for a family trip?

Hey folks,

New to this board but very impressed by how much of a useful resource it is.

A question please - I have half a million Etihad miles burning a hole in my pocket but we usually do leisure trips as a family - with a four year old and one year old.

Is it possible to book three seats in business using guest miles (infant in lap)? At first glance it seems that there are only two 'guest seats' available on each flight, even when you check way into the future.

And is it possible to upgrade three seats from economy to business, or business to first, using points?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:07 am
R7U

Programs: TK Elite; HH Diamond; AA Plat; CC Gold
Welcome to FT!

Upgrading with points is more possible. But to book 3 business seats with points might be difficult. You have to check availability. If they have availability then I dont see a problem.

You can call to their booking centre and ask if they have availability for your flights.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:53 am

Programs: DL-SM Silver, EY-Gold, HH
Hi - we've faced the same issue a few times. Usually they only have two seats available in biz, but on some flights/dates they do allow more than two. I was recently able to book three award seats for the family in biz for AUH-DOH. Granted its not their busiest route so that may have helped.

In other instances, I've booked the two available for biz, then bought economy for the other two and used miles to upgrade. Its the next best option.

Hope that helps!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by svs-dhm
Usually they only have two seats available in biz,
In other instances, I've booked the two available for biz, then bought economy for the other two and used miles to upgrade. Its the next best option.
Are you saying that the availability for miles upgrades is different to the availability for straight redemptions? The T&Cs suggest that they come out of the same bucket (fare class I/O).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.