Search

Worried about connection time

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
Worried about connection time

Hi all,

Travelling MAN to MEL next year via AUH and our flight times have changed and are now:

Dep MAN 08.40
Arr AUH 19.55

Dep AUH 21.45

This is just under 2 hours, is this enough time? I've never had a connecting flight before and have never been to AUH so am really unsure of what to do/ expect and how long it takes to catch a connection.

Any advice, wise words would be much appreciated, thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, Etihad Guest Gold, VS
Sara, that will be fine otherwise you wouldn't have been able to book it. Your luggage will be checked in at MAN for the entire journey so all you will have to do, in reality, is get from your arrival gate to your departure gate.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dogsrock
Sara, that will be fine otherwise you wouldn't have been able to book it. Your luggage will be checked in at MAN for the entire journey so all you will have to do, in reality, is get from your arrival gate to your departure gate.
Thanks dogsrock, do I need to go through immigration and security and AUH?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:36 am

no immigration

just follow the signs to "transfers/ connections". You'll go through a security check, but you will not go through immigration. After security you'll be back in the departure area. Just follow the signs to your gate once you're done and you'll be done. Have a great trip!

Originally Posted by SaraJH
Thanks dogsrock, do I need to go through immigration and security and AUH?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jasondc
just follow the signs to "transfers/ connections". You'll go through a security check, but you will not go through immigration. After security you'll be back in the departure area. Just follow the signs to your gate once you're done and you'll be done. Have a great trip!
Thanks Jason, this is all very stressful as we are going to Australia for the cricket World Cup for my husband's 50th birthday and have a day of rest in Melbourne before the cricket and I am paranoid about missing the cricket!

I also want to spend some time in the lounge in AUH but that's not a big priority item, higher up is being able to have a ciggie between flights. And before anyone comments, I do understand that giving up smoking is what I should be doing
Old Aug 9, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
2x year I transit AUH from BRU to BKK, have 1h40min.
2h25min in the other direction, a bit too long.
Never missed a connection, although sometimes no more than 30 minutes in the lounge.
And around midnight the lounge can be crowded, nice food and drinks available.
It can be a long walk from gate to transit area, security check and lounge.
Sometimes we disembark in the old terminal, it is a 5 minutes walk then to the new terminal.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:58 am

Travelled MAN - BKK on the 08.40 many times with a similar transit time and always had plenty of time to sit in lounge at AUH.
To get to lounge you go through security along with many others but if travelling in J go to far left of the queue (not too well signed if your first time) and you will see a Priority lane which is fast track, never spent more than a couple of minutes there.
When exiting the lounge I have just gone straight to the gate with no more security.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks you, that makes me feel much better! We are travelling J so have taken note of the fast track security lane.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:12 am

I was pleasantly surprised to be in transit through AUH on a BAH-LHR ticket in mid-July and to find that I didn't need to go back all the way to the main security vortex that everyone seems to be funnelled through.

Instead, near the gate we entered after we got off the bus, we were immediately into a small, obviously new, security area. This considerably speeded up transfer times.

Hope this is a sign of things to come at AUH as you can sometimes arrive right next to the gate you are due to leave from and have to walk all the way to the vortex and back again!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
Sara where are you connecting to? If connecting to a flight to the US, then connection times can be tight because they have immigration in AUH.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by rlbmorton
Sara where are you connecting to? If connecting to a flight to the US, then connection times can be tight because they have immigration in AUH.
The OP gave her destination in the first post.

There won't be many people travelling from Manchester to the USA via Abu Dhabi. None of the Big 3 Middle Eastern carriers even file fares for UK-USA (though THY does).
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:07 am

Programs: CO Plat & MP 1K
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The OP gave her destination in the first post.

There won't be many people travelling from Manchester to the USA via Abu Dhabi. None of the Big 3 Middle Eastern carriers even file fares for UK-USA (though THY does).
I see, I missed it.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I am thinking about flying BKK-AUH-LHR

Will 75 minutes suffice for transfer in AUH?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 2:29 am
Company Representative, Etihad

Hi there, kindly note that 1 hour is the minimum connecting time required in AUH. *ES

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.