Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

'Jetihad' Flights by EY [operated by 9W metal and crew] AUH-JFK/SFO/GRU/BKK/KUL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Jetihad' Flights by EY [operated by 9W metal and crew] AUH-JFK/SFO/GRU/BKK/KUL

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2014, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by rlbmorton
In my experience the first class seat on this flight is actually more roomy and with better storage than the etihad first class seat. The service seemed the same to me. I really like the time of arrival in NY, can get a lot more done.
That sounds positive -- thanks for the update
Old May 16, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Any additional experiences with EY 102? I'm heading out on it next month. Really enjoyed EY 100 a couple months ago so will be disappointed if it is as different as some say. I just spoke to EY Customer Service and was told everything is the same except for the plane - food, flight crew, etc, - which does not fit with what we've heard here.
Old May 24, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Di, AA Plat, Hyatt Glb
EY 103 - May 23

We took the EY - Jet Airways flight yesterday with three kids (3, 6 and 10) in J.

After taking EK's A380 in J from JFK-DXB and QR's 777 in J, both in the last few weeks, we didn't think that EY was comparable. EY service and seats in J were more along the lines of United BusinessFirst. As is typical with US airlines, some of the cabin crew was very attentive, but others had to be roused from their extended conversations with other FAs to get food or drinks for the kids mid-flight.

Since we have never flown EY in J on their regular (ie not Jet Airways) product, we can't say definitively that EY J is not up to the QR or EK par. But if EY claims (as per several comments on this thread) that the Jet Airways flight is the same as regular EY J service, then we can definitely say EK and QR are a major step ahead of EY in J.

Finally, thanks to this thread, we were prepared for the all-Indian menu from AUH-JFK and made sure we had chips and snacks for the kids. On a side note, it is somewhat weird to have a nearly 100% Indian menu with (other than omelette) no western or middle-eastern options on a 14 hour flight.
Old May 24, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage LG, MP, BAEC, UR
Originally Posted by KPhill
... if EY claims (as per several comments on this thread) that the Jet Airways flight is the same as regular EY J service, then we can definitely say EK and QR are a major step ahead of EY in J.

Finally, thanks to this thread, we were prepared for the all-Indian menu from AUH-JFK and made sure we had chips and snacks for the kids. On a side note, it is somewhat weird to have a nearly 100% Indian menu with (other than omelette) no western or middle-eastern options on a 14 hour flight.
KPhill,

Thanks for your update. I was the one who moaned about the sub par first class experience on the Jet Airways equipped flight and also the fact that there was virtually a 100% Indian only menu on a 14 hour flight. So glad you found that weird as I felt like I was the only person on this thread that found that unacceptable...especially traveling in a supposed "dine on demand" first class cabin with "onboard chef". My food options were way more limited on this flight then they ever were on a carrier such as Cathay, and that's without the trumped up "onboard chef" nonsense.

Trying desperately to get award space on QR instead of the space I found again on EY for business class travel in December. I figure if EY's first class was weak, then what am I in for in J!
Old May 25, 2014, 1:34 am

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
I have an upcoming flights in F both ways in June using AA miles on these Jet Airways operated flights ...didnt have a choice as it was a trip I had to make for family reasons....kinda was surprised to find seats just few weeks before departure....reviews seems to be mixed so far...and agree that the idea of mostly Indian food on the return flight AT 2 AM is beyond ridiculous,I LOVE indian food but not late night ,c'mon EY ...will give my thoughts on both flights soon...if I don't change my mind that is...

Last edited by OHijAAzi73; May 25, 2014 at 1:39 am
Old May 27, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Di, AA Plat, Hyatt Glb
I noticed after we boarded that EY had some literature referring to a service that allows pre-ordering of food for kids. Sounds like the way to go. Unlike you guys I am not a huge fan of Indian (I had two omelettes on the flight) but I am not a big fan of chicken nuggets either.

The pre-order would have made the wife happy - she is always worried that the kids will starve if chicken nuggets or hot dogs are unavailable.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:24 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
I'm still perplexed about this. I tweeted at Etihad about the F menu on EY102 (specifically asking about Jet and Indian only service) and received this response, indicating that it is business as usual in F and not Indian only:

Our typical first class menu with our extensive á la carte range or our ‘Anytime Kitchen’ menu. Have a great flight! *MS
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:50 am

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by troyb
I'm still perplexed about this. I tweeted at Etihad about the F menu on EY102 (specifically asking about Jet and Indian only service) and received this response, indicating that it is business as usual in F and not Indian only:

Our typical first class menu with our extensive á la carte range or our ‘Anytime Kitchen’ menu. Have a great flight! *MS
The issue has not been with Flt: 102 but with Flt 103. I flew both, 102 had their "typical" menu but 103 was 95% Indian food. This may have changed since I flew it on April 1st, but it was definitely not their "typical" menu on that day.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
The issue has not been with Flt: 102 but with Flt 103. I flew both, 102 had their "typical" menu but 103 was 95% Indian food. This may have changed since I flew it on April 1st, but it was definitely not their "typical" menu on that day.
I thought the issue was with both directions of the pseudo 9W operated flight (102/103). Is this not true? Seems even more strange to have it only affect one direction.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by troyb
I thought the issue was with both directions of the pseudo 9W operated flight (102/103). Is this not true? Seems even more strange to have it only affect one direction.
I took issue with the service on both flights, although 102 was better than 103. The menu issue was only on 103. I can only guess that the menu's were somewhat based on the origin city. I believe Jet and Etihad connect a lot of Indian onward traveling passengers on to 103 this the very heavy Indian menu on that flight. Also, I believe I saw much more Western and Middle Eastern looking passengers on 102 and a vast majority of the passengers on 103 were Indian looking. Again, could explain the menu.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by tridentnyc
I took issue with the service on both flights, although 102 was better than 103. The menu issue was only on 103. I can only guess that the menu's were somewhat based on the origin city. I believe Jet and Etihad connect a lot of Indian onward traveling passengers on to 103 this the very heavy Indian menu on that flight. Also, I believe I saw much more Western and Middle Eastern looking passengers on 102 and a vast majority of the passengers on 103 were Indian looking. Again, could explain the menu.
Did they at least have baklava / other sweets on 102? Love that stuff..
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:00 am

I just flew 102 in F. In short - It's a step (or two) below LH.

Good:
- Chauffeur service
- Friendly crew
- Pyjama
- Wine options
- Food (I actually enjoyed)

So-so:
- JFK Lounge (though not busy so enjoyed)
- Seat (good for sleeping but cabin is starting the fray around the edges).
- On-board chef (useless I feel)

Bad:
- Responsiveness of crew (only two pax in cabin but they failed to offer to make bed on adjacent seat - LH typically does this).
- Delay nearly caused miss-connect (only 15 minutes in between but other flight also delayed) but crew not pro-active. No-one met me at the gate.
- AUH lounge
Old Jul 28, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC
Any opinions on turning a 1hr 40min layover into a 10hr layover to avoid EY103 and take EY101?
Flying in J. Not too fussed about the additional time, but no point if it's not worth it.

Also what happens regarding preclearance if you are coming off of another flight with a short layover. Any chance of missing the flight?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I flew EY101 last week in first and was unimpressed. Service was friendly but very slow. Food was only ok. Mid flight I asked for a soda and chips, and it took them 5 minutes to bring it to me. I wish I could have just grabbed a bag of chips myself.

For the final meal, served about two hours before landing in JFK, they had run out of vegetables and ice cream.

I liked the IFE old movie selection and the privacy of the suite.

Preclearance is a big negative bc of the uncertainty in how long it will take and the common delays. This makes the process more stressful. Also, it's not comfortable waiting at the gate area since there is no lounge and the immediate gate area cannot accommodate all the pax. Boarding is uncomfortable and slow with only one long jetway which gets warm. Just one person needing assistance in boarding (which is common) will delay the whole boarding line.

The J seats look very nice.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EX PLAT AC Alititude 50K Alaska MVP 75K Hilton Diamond
Can anyone give some advices of my trip from MLE and baggage issue on EY 103? Here is my itinerary:

BA2043 1100-1300 MLE-CMB (separate ticket)
--------------------------------------
EY7153 1850-2200 CMB-AUH operated by Sri Lankan Airline
EY103 0145-0755 AUH-JFK
EY3366 1535-1840 JFK-DFW operated by American Airline

Since I live in NYC, I an not planning to fly JFW-DFW segment. I also will have two check-in bags. I would love to know is there any way I can short check to JFK only from MLE? Some people say passengers will have to collect bags at first entry port of U.S anyway so no worries. Others says since there is pre-clearance facility at AUH so baggage will end up at DFW. But some reports indicate passengers on EY103 will have to collect baggage at JFK no matter what while passengers on EY101 will still have to pick up their bags at the final destination ( Dallas in this case). I am very confused.

To make things more complicated, I will start my trip from Maldives. On top of my original itinerary CMB-AUH-JFK-DFW, I will need a separated one way ticket from MLE to CMB. Is it possible to check through bags at MLE and collect them at JFK? I am thinking to redeem Avios for BA’s Club World from MLE to CMB as BA has more generous check-in bags policy(23kg*2) comparing to other One World partners eg Sir Lankan Air(30kg*1) on this route. I have applied Sri Lankan transit visa but it won’t allow to entry the country. If BA won’t through check. Does that mean I may have to pas immigration and check in again?

In that case, do I need to apply for tourist visa? Can I ask BA agent at CMB to check bags through JFK? What should I do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.