Wiki Posts
Search

Overcharged for EY award booking on AA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

So I booked 5 award flights with Etihad Airways miles for flights on AA MIA - LIM. If I make a mock booking for the same flight on AA.com, the taxes and fees per person is $24.50, but I was charged $44.50 per person booking with Etihad- which is $100 too much. Below is exactly what was paid

Fare: USD 5.00

Taxes/Fees/Carrier-Imposed Charges:

USD 17.5 US2 (US INTERNATIONAL TRANSPORTATION TAX)
USD 2.50 AY (US SECURITY FEE)
USD 15.00 DY (INTERNATIONAL TURISM ARRIVAL TAX)
USD 4.5 XF (US PASSENGER FACILITY CHARGE)

TOTAL 44.5 ( per person !)

---questionable charges, per person--

Fare: USD 5.00
Tax: USD 15.00 DY (INTERNATIONAL TURISM ARRIVAL TAX)

Should I be paying a Fare per person on an award ticket? I know I need to address this with etihad, but what do I ask to be removed? If somebody could help break this down for me it would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Free" award tickets (of the type that AA offers on this route), are not subject to the U.S. International Departure/Arrival tax. Once there is any "fare" component on an award ticket, the award is no longer considered "free," and the U.S. International tax kicks in.

You need to find out why EY is charging a $5 "fare" on one of their award tickets.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As this booking was made using Etihad miles, I'm moving over to the Etihad Guest forum for further discussion by the experts there.

~Microwave
AAdvantage Forum Co-moderator
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
This is a known issue on EY. I reported this before: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20883186-post5.html. Etihad consistently adds some revenue component and insists that this is necessary to charge in order to price an award booking. Arguing with EY is pointless since they refuse to fix this issue. I would suggest you do a few things:

1. Take screenshots from the operating carrier's site showing the correct award taxes
2. Dispute the charge with your credit card company and show them the correct taxes - these are US government taxes that EY is illegally charging
3. File a DOT complaint ASAP

EY is ripping people off by doing this and refuses to fix the issue.

Edit: Also to add, the Manchester call center is generally much worse than the Mumbai call center so if you get the Manchester one, I would suggest HUCA.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Wow.

I even asked when I was booking and the agent says "sorry I cannot tell you what fees you are being charged"-

The credit card I used is Peruvian based so complaining to my bank will be fruitless. I am going to call etihad argue about this though- it is BS!

Will look into filing a dot complaint
Old Apr 1, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I hope you filed a DOT complaint. This kind of stuff will never get fixed if all of us good people stand down.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by smilinganddialing
I hope you filed a DOT complaint. This kind of stuff will never get fixed if all of us good people stand down.
Does anything really happen with that? My vote is for credit card dispute.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:35 am

This has happened to me before. They insisted they cannot have a $0 fare, since it doesn't work on AA bookings with Etihad Guest miles. For me, they put a $1 fare, but then taxes, etc become much higher.
I gave in, since I had already spent several phone calls with them to get the reward booking done and was glad I was at least able to use the miles before expiring.
Of course, it is not correct what they are doing.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pixelville
This has happened to me before. They insisted they cannot have a $0 fare, since it doesn't work on AA bookings with Etihad Guest miles. For me, they put a $1 fare, but then taxes, etc become much higher.
I gave in, since I had already spent several phone calls with them to get the reward booking done and was glad I was at least able to use the miles before expiring.
Of course, it is not correct what they are doing.
They said they put a temporary amount which is not charged in the end (that part is true), however the fees do stay. Ridiculous that they can do that
Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:00 am
Original Member

Hello all
Apologies for bringing up this old thread. Has anyone had any recent experience with using EY miles for AA flights? Are they still charging high fees as previously discussed? I also notice that the link to the AA award table is now not working on the EY website.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 4:17 am
Original Member

Hello all
Sorry to push this thread up again. Just wondering if anyone has had any recent experience with using EY miles for AA flights? Are they still charging high fees as previously discussed?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:59 pm
Original Member

Just to add to this thread - I redeemed EY miles for AA flights and they still charge the $1 fare so the higher taxes (compared to aa.com) kick in - annoying!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.