Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Any Sucess in EY miles redemption on AA ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Silver, Qatar Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG, Hilton

I have been trying for a week now, to redeem Ey miles on AA which is a Partner with no luck.

After 4 calls, and 35mins minmum hold on each call, I get nowhere!! And each call results in a different answer. Clearly no one in the call center has any clue on how to do this redemption.

Call 1: 38 mins later, sorry but Im not sure how we need to do this, pls call us back after 10pm.

Call 2: 41 mins on hold. We have all the details sir, but the system is not working correctly, we will call you back. No one ever did !

Call 3: 36 mins later, after providing all passenger names and flight details, my requested flight wasn't available on the day, so opted for EY's alternative. Then at the end, they didn't know how many miles need to be deducted. i suggested the site showed 12,500 for one-way redemption. Stiil had to check, but never got called back.

Call 4: 39 mins later, we do not have direct flights on AA, only with stops (I can see 3 direct flights online). I guess maybe there is no availability so I say fine, give me the non-direct option. The agent tells me its 30k miles for one-way redemption per passenger. I argue that their site clearly says 12.5k miles not 30k !! Agent responds he is new and not sure.

Fine, I ask for the supervisor of which there are 2. Both are not available to respond to their own customer because they are "busy" !! but whats worse, rather than ask for my details to call me back, Im asked to call them back later.

What a joke !!

Has anyone been successful recently in claiming partner miles using EY ? how do I need to go about this.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Originally Posted by sammy7

Has anyone been successful recently in claiming partner miles using EY ? how do I need to go about this.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etiha...-aa-miles.html

I would start here; lots of excellent advice!

Also, do you have any status with AA or are you calling the general number? I've found that the operators that answer the EXP lines are much better at handling these types of awards. Good luck!
Old May 6, 2013, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Silver, Qatar Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG, Hilton
Tnx Wolf, but Im looking for the reverse of that thread. I have EY miles which Im trying to use on AA, but cant seem to do so.

Interestingly i did get a call back about 1 hour ago from EY, and they said there isn't any seats available. I asked for alternate dates, and guess what, there isn't a single EY redemption seat on ANY date upto Dec 30, 2013 !!!
Old May 6, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 7+ million miles
You might try going to the AA site, test booking an award on days of flights you need and see if "saver" awards are available. Usually, they are not bookable for award travel if they are anytime awards, only saver. And that can be limited.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Although my requested dates are not available on MileSaver availability, there are 7 open days on MileSaver in July alone, contrary to what EY said that nothing open till year end.
Old May 7, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, EK Gold, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry, Clear
Tnx Wolf, but Im looking for the reverse of that thread. I have EY miles which Im trying to use on AA, but cant seem to do so.
Sorry; I should only post after my coffee kicks in!

Good luck with your award booking...
Old May 11, 2013, 1:44 am
Original Poster

I guess no one has had any success with this then ?
Old May 11, 2013, 11:16 am

What are the flights and routing? I'm just wondering if you are not on a legal AA routing.
If you find saver available, write down the dates, flights and routing, then call in and give them the specifics. It may be a case of having to call several times until you get someone who is willing to figure out how to book for you.
Good luck.

Last edited by randapex; May 11, 2013 at 11:22 am
Old May 16, 2013, 12:06 am
Original Poster

@randapex

Im looking for a direct one-way flight from LAX to IAD.

On the AA website I can see availability on a few days in July, whereas EY cant seem to access any availability on any day of any months !!
Old May 16, 2013, 11:25 am

@randapex

Im looking for a direct one-way flight from LAX to IAD.

On the AA website I can see availability on a few days in July, whereas EY cant seem to access any availability on any day of any months !!
IAD isn't listed as a valid codeshare destination on the EY website.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:55 am
Original Poster

AA

Originally Posted by randapex
If you look here, it quotes number off miles for 'Wholly within US" under Domestic regions' redemption's

http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/E...edemption.aspx
Old May 16, 2013, 11:56 am
Original Poster

AA

Originally Posted by randapex
If you look here, it quotes number of miles for 'Wholly within US" under Domestic regions' redemption's

http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/E...edemption.aspx
Old May 16, 2013, 3:09 pm

[QUOTE=sammy7;20761758]If you look here, it quotes number of miles for 'Wholly within US" under Domestic regions' redemption's

Right, that's the page for redemption levels. ie: If your flight is wholly within the US, and it's a codeshare destination, that's how many miles it is. EY has another page that lists the code share agreement destinations.

http://www.etihad.com/en/flights/#t1-p2

IAD is not included in the list. To me, that means: "you can't fly in or out of IAD". I could be wrong.
Old May 16, 2013, 4:58 pm

[QUOTE=randapex;20762840]
If you look here, it quotes number of miles for 'Wholly within US" under Domestic regions' redemption's

Right, that's the page for redemption levels. ie: If your flight is wholly within the US, and it's a codeshare destination, that's how many miles it is. EY has another page that lists the code share agreement destinations.

http://www.etihad.com/en/flights/#t1-p2

IAD is not included in the list. To me, that means: "you can't fly in or out of IAD". I could be wrong.
Etihad Partners page for AA says
https://www.etihadairways.com/sites/...-Airlines.aspx

"Miles can be redeemed for all American Airlines, American Eagle and American Connection operated and marketed flights. Both Domestic and International flights are eligible for redemption."

I would interpret that as - you can redeem Etihad Guest Miles on any AA flight (irrespective of codeshare).

I am trying to redeem on AA as well. Let me know if you succeed.
Old May 20, 2013, 1:02 pm

I have been trying for a week now, to redeem Ey miles on AA which is a Partner with no luck.

After 4 calls, and 35mins minmum hold on each call, I get nowhere!! And each call results in a different answer. Clearly no one in the call center has any clue on how to do this redemption.

Call 1: 38 mins later, sorry but Im not sure how we need to do this, pls call us back after 10pm.

Call 2: 41 mins on hold. We have all the details sir, but the system is not working correctly, we will call you back. No one ever did !

Call 3: 36 mins later, after providing all passenger names and flight details, my requested flight wasn't available on the day, so opted for EY's alternative. Then at the end, they didn't know how many miles need to be deducted. i suggested the site showed 12,500 for one-way redemption. Stiil had to check, but never got called back.

Call 4: 39 mins later, we do not have direct flights on AA, only with stops (I can see 3 direct flights online). I guess maybe there is no availability so I say fine, give me the non-direct option. The agent tells me its 30k miles for one-way redemption per passenger. I argue that their site clearly says 12.5k miles not 30k !! Agent responds he is new and not sure.

Fine, I ask for the supervisor of which there are 2. Both are not available to respond to their own customer because they are "busy" !! but whats worse, rather than ask for my details to call me back, Im asked to call them back later.

What a joke !!

Any luck with redemption of Etihad miles on AA? I have tried several times and with results similar to yours above. Agents don't know what they are doing or unable to redeem on AA. Several times, I just give up after being on hold for a long time. I am Etihad Silver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.