Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Etihad Dubai Shuttle booking issue..pls help!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Hi there

I am traveling in economy class on Etihad airways. Reaching Abu Dhabi on 4th Dec at 8:00 PM.

My hotel is booked in Dubai so i need to go from Abu Dhabi Airport to Dubai. When i booked the ticket I did not realize that i have to book the shuttle service as well. I thought its available on first come first serve basis to Etihad Guest..

Now when i called the call center to book the shuttle, they say that all the spots for the class I am traveling in are fully booked

Did any one of you faced this issue? do you always have to pre-book the shuttle before the flight or you can just walk there with the boarding pass and ask for the seat?

Please let me know. I don't want to pay so much for the taxi to get to dubai.

Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2011, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
When I did it , admittedly a few years ago , I didn't pre book , I just got on the coach . The driver didn't check the ticket or the name.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by coolguy911
Hi there

I am traveling in economy class on Etihad airways. Reaching Abu Dhabi on 4th Dec at 8:00 PM.

My hotel is booked in Dubai so i need to go from Abu Dhabi Airport to Dubai. When i booked the ticket I did not realize that i have to book the shuttle service as well. I thought its available on first come first serve basis to Etihad Guest..

Now when i called the call center to book the shuttle, they say that all the spots for the class I am traveling in are fully booked

Did any one of you faced this issue? do you always have to pre-book the shuttle before the flight or you can just walk there with the boarding pass and ask for the seat?

Please let me know. I don't want to pay so much for the taxi to get to dubai.

Thanks
No worries. I used the shuttle several times at various hours just a couple of weeks ago. Always hopped on as a walk-up and it was never even remotely full, not even during rush hour. They seemed to adjust the number of vehicles based on demand anyway. I only went to/from Marina Mall and always ended up on the smaller, less fancy type of coach. Still very good, though. Clean and comfortable, massive legroom, not at all cramped.

Although the timetable indicates one service with two stops in Dubai, they always asked which one I was heading to as they were in fact using dedicated services for each stop.

They wouldn't even check my BP until after departure (though I suppose they probably would have stopped and kicked me out had I failed to produce one when they did their rounds to check and take down BP details). Actually I'm not entirely sure if I was even eligible, as I was only in transit - I know the limousine service for Business/First Class explicitly does not apply to transit passengers, though they couldn't care less on the coach as long as you carry a same-day incoming or departing EY BP respectively.

Not sure about Chelsea Towers, but at Marina Mall there is nothing in terms of check-in facilities at the stop or on the actual coach, so be sure to have your online BP or e-ticket printout handy on your return to AUH (if applicable). I don't see how they'd be able to check your eligibility otherwise, unless you're actually pre-booked on the coach.

I read somewhere that they used to provide some sort of snack-service, though that seems no longer to be the case. (Perhaps it's different on the larger type of coach - can't comment on that.) You do get a bottle of water, though.

If worse comes to worst and you really can't get on your desired coach, wait for the next one. There are several scheduled departures past 8 p.m. Alternatively, use the one to the other stop instead and get a cab from there. Depending on where your hotel is located it might still be a bit of a ride, but definitely cheaper than cabbing it all the way from AUH.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
Has anyone used the shuttle service recently? I'll be in Dubai for a few days. My returning flight will depart from Abu Dhabi on Etihad to Germany and from there will be taking AirBerlin to the US.

I was planning on to take the free shuttle to Abu dhabi, but could not find a way to reserve it beforehand. We are a total of 5 passengers. Is it difficult to get on the shuttle?

Also, if we enter the UAE through Dubai and exit through Abu dhabi, will there be any problems as far as visas? I believe they stamp the passport on arrival and also on departure. We all hold American passports.

Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: EY Platinum
No problem whatsoever on visas. It's all the same country.

Can't answer your shuttle question, except to point out that, if in extremis you can't get on the bus, you'll find a gazillion taxi drivers only too happy to take you there instead.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:36 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
If there is no help at the very obvious Etihad Chauffeur desk there, there are also a multitude of Car rental agencies across the road in the Skypark complex. The drive is only two hours.

I am sure you will find space on the shuttle however...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:56 pm

Don't rent a car - taxi it. It'll be more comfortable and you won't have to worry about Dubai's ridiculous road system.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:24 am

Programs: QF Plat, KL Plat, TK Gold, WY Gold, Bonvoy Tit
Originally Posted by csdf
Don't rent a car - taxi it. It'll be more comfortable and you won't have to worry about Dubai's ridiculous road system.
Agreed. Plus all the mess you'll get into if someone crashes into you will be a nightmare. Be aware also that there is zero tolerance for alcohol when driving.

I usually use the fixed price limousine service on offer at the taxi stand for AUH-DXB runs. It's something like 300 AED for a 7-series as opposed to 250 for a regular taxi. Don't quote me on those prices, someone will know them better. I just know that for me it's worth paying the bit extra to sink into the back of a 750L rather than hang on for dear life up that road in a regular taxi.

If you see a bigger car further back in the queue that you like, ask for it. I've had that situation before - first 3 or 4 cars in the queue were Lexus, followed by an A6, followed by a BMW 750L. I told the dispatcher to call up the 750L. The Lexus drivers may get a bit offended, "what's wrong with my car" - but that's simple to deal with - "your car isn't as nice as his"
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:08 pm

Here are the details for the Etihad bus service to Dubai. I've used it and it's nothing fancy, gets you from Abu Dhabi to Dubai and vice versa but a blessing to know you can get from Abu Dhabi to Dubai this way. From what I recall they hand you Etihad logo bags with a bottle of water and a fruit, can't recall.

http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/E...rom-Dubai.aspx

The good about this service is that you can drop off your bags 24 hours in advance of your flight and get your boarding pass too.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
Thanks everyone!

My tentative plans include a few days in DXB, but will be departing from AUH to get to US. Originally we were planning on being in Dubai for the full 3 days and get on the shuttle (or the taxi/limo if the shuttle doesnt work out) and go straight to AUH for our flight. After doing some research about the cities, we may decide to spend the last day in Abu Dhabi, to get the best of both cities (well, as much as we can in 3 days)

With this mind, will it be possible to board the free shuttle to AUH a day before the flight? it will be about 30 hours. Was thinking about departing around 7pm, and spend the evening in Abu Dhabi and all of the next day as our flight is at 2am. If all else fails, taking a taxi is still there, just not sure how much that would be. I'm also looking for a hotel stay for one night, but couldnt seem to find something near the airport. Seems like closest hotels are in Yas Island? Is that right or am I missing something? Thanks again everyone!!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro, EY Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Not sure about the shuttle but if you need to catch a taxi it should be around 300-350ish dhs which is roughly 80-95USD. In terms of hotels, anything on Yas, the Fairmont Bab al Bahr, Shangri-la/traders, Holiday Inn or Aloft are all close to the airport, roughly 10 mins away. Lived in Abu Dhabi for 3 years, it's a great city as is Dubai. Enjoy!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: ALL MAJOR FFP AND FSP
would be interested to know as well
Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:38 pm

You need to show them your flight booking or if you checked in at the city terminal 24 hours prior to your flight then the boarding pass, or else only on the day of your flight... Otherwise you pay AED 75, I believe if it is before the maximum allowable time.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:17 pm

If you're trying to save money and the Etihad shuttle won't take you, there's a city bus which costs peanuts (25 DHS or something like that).
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:10 am

the shuttle buses are very frequent during peak times - i used one recently without a reservation just showed my auh boarding pass,the bus driver or his off sider just wrote down the ticket number and i was treated like any other pax. it stops near a metro stop in dxb,the intercity bus is 25dhms but from the down town bus station of both cities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.